August 29th, 2008

Palin makes history

Palin's husband, Todd, holds a Bible as his wife gets sworn in as governor in December 2006.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin's ascension to the No.2 spot on the Republican presidential ticket is the first time an Alaskan has appeared on a major party ticket for president.

But she is not the first woman to appear on a major ticket - In 1984 Democratic presidential nominee Walter Mondale chose then-U.S. Rep. Geraldine Ferraro as the Democratic VP nominee in 1984.

Watch: Palin accepts: 'I'm honored'

The last major party VP nominee with less than two years of experience in statewide or federal office was Spiro Agnew in 1968. Agnew had been elected as Maryland's governor in 1966 and inaugurated on Jan. 25, 1967; Richard Nixon chose him to be his running mate in August, 1968. Agnew's previous experience had been at the county level. Palin was elected Alaska's governor in 2006 and was inaugurated on Dec. 4, 2006. Palin's previous experience has been at the city level.

Agnew is also the last sitting governor to be chosen as a major party's VP nominee.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. I'm Mr. Burger

For one moment I thought he'd pick Tina Fey. Hey look at the bright side, at least SNL will get a bump in the ratings.

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  2. Hey Hippies

Do you liberal nutjobs know anything about this woman before you start bashing her? I don't know anything about her, but if McCain picked her over Pawlenty, there must be reason beyond purely gender. It'll be interesting to see the debates between Palin and Biden and Obama and McCain. I'm on the fence right now, waiting to make a decision after the Republican convention.

I can't help but wonder...would Hillary have said yes to McCain if he had asked her to be his VP??

Obama's speech last night was very good I though..but I heard alot of spending in there. Can someone explain how you lower taxes on 95% of Americans while spending $$ to rebuild cities and improve infrastructure? I didn't get that one. But otherwise, I thought he did a great job!

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  3. Maria

Any Hillary supporter who thinks this gun-toting, anti-birth control Creationist is an adequate substitute for HRC because she happens to also be female should get their head examined. McCain made this move because he thinks we're stupid. Let's not prove him right, OK, America?

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  4. Maria

The Liberals again show how sexist they really are. "She should stay home?!" Imagine a Republican saying this. She has a wonderful husband that stays at home. Who is taking care of Obama's kids? Not their mother!

Excellent choice by McCain. She has more of a clue than Biden or Obama on economics and cutting waste.

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  5. PAUL GORDON

You'all missing the real point. Alaksa is budgetary fantasy land.
    You get paid for living there. Her experince in an environment where
    the fight over money is vicious and constant will be very limited.

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  6. Hillary Supporter for Obama

"The last major party VP nominee with less than two years of experience in statewide or federal office was Spiro Agnew in 1968."

That worked out pretty well, as I recall.

LOL

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  7. buba, cincinnati oh

Palin would have been the best choice if Hillary/Obama split was still around.
    With those primary bitterness largely gone, it looks more like 'me too' choice to trumpet ' true diversity and feminism'.
    That just turns McCain in something that he is not, and also off the window goes the argument of experience, especially on economy.
    I think Romney was still the best choice for McCain.

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  8. Shelly

I only know that she is very pro-life and against gay marriages.

I need to do some more research on her.

So far, I don't like what I see.

I'm not sure what McCain is trying to do. If he thinks that by choosing a woman as his VP that I will automatically vote for him, he underestimates the power of any search engine !!!

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  9. FL Obama Supporter

I can't wait for the Biden-Palin debate!

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  10. Pamela

How are we as a country to have respect for a woman who chooses power over her disabled childs needs. I find her irrespossible as a parent and completely unqualified as a leader of our country. McCain, shame on you! Could this be more of a panicked political move on your part. You have made my decision very easy, thank you.
    God speed Obama!!!!!

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  11. Bryan

I Think it was a great pick. The best thing about her is that she cannot be attacked for lack of experience. Even if something happens to McCain, the number two on the ticket still has more executive and leadership expierience than Obama.

August 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  12. chris

Wow, Im a soldier stationed here in Alaska, I have had the pleasure of hearing sarah palin speak. I hope Joe Biden doesn't pull punches in the vp debate, she has no place being a heart beat from the oval office. No experience, sounds familiar?

August 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  13. Maria La repulicanca

I’m not sure McCain made the right choice? Was it to appease the woman voter? If it is/was, then I don’t think this was a wise choice? Was there no other experienced republican representatives in the republican Party. I’m sure she is a great Governor, but for the VP? I’m not thrilled, but let’s see what she’s all about before we judge her.

August 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  14. Fabian Blache III, Baton Rouge, LA

Brian G

Great analogy. Very profound observations.

August 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  15. WPO

There goes the experience factor edge out the window!!

Why would a 72 year old McCain with some health issues pick a running mate like Ms.Palin who would lose all votes to Biden on the 'are you ready to be Commander in Chief' test?

Who are his vetting team? What were they thinking?

Just to get a play on the Hillary votes???

August 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  16. Frank Black

What a Complete and Utter disaster. Dan Quayle part 2. Less than 2 years expierence at Federal level.

This Proves that John McCaine is Senile.

August 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Tony

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the vice presidental debates too. Biden's gonna be easy pickens for Palin. Her only "controversy" is an investigation where no subpoenas have been issued because she's complied fully, and in the few years she's been in politics her list of accomplishments far exceeds Barack Obama's. I'm looking forward to Biden slipping up with numerous misogynist comments during the debate. The more I look into this, picking Palin is the best possible move politically and strategically for the McCain camp.

August 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. Emster

It really bothers me that she's agreeing to take on the VP challenge when she has a high-needs 4 month old baby. 4 months old! And she's agreeing to the rigors of a national election?!?! When my children were 4 months old, I could barely manage to squeeze a shower into my day. And she's going to need to be actively campaigning for the next several months. And although the schedule of the VP can be accomodating, what if she had to step up to be the actual POTUS within the next 4 years? How could she possibly serve as POTUS and adequately care for this infant at the same time? Isn't the Presidency a fulltime job? Isn't taking care of a high-needs child a challenge? I'm all for working moms (being one myself) but that's a ridiculous and impossible combination. Think about it.

August 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. Tom in NJ

MCCAIN DOES NOT GET IT!!

Forget about the issues....

For all of his arguments that experience matters...the second in line to be Commander in Chief has to have experience too. Especially in the case of the oldest, non-incumbent Presidential candidate elect in our history.

I am really questioning his judgment now. I was on the fence, but now my mind is made up. Obama/Biden.

August 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  20. CR

What is John McCain thinking? Oh, that's right, he's even dumber than Bush! What a way to condescend to women everywhere.

August 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |