August 29th, 2008

Palin: 'What is it exactly that the VP does every day?'

Gov. Palin gratefully accepted her new role Friday.

Gov. Palin gratefully accepted her new role Friday.

DAYTON, Ohio (CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin gratefully accepted her new role as John McCain’s running mate on Friday, telling an audience of 15,000 Ohioans that the job “will demand the best that I have to give, and I promise nothing less.”

In a recent television appearance, however, Palin downplayed her V.P. chances by lampooning the office’s professional requirements.

“As for that V.P. talk all the time,” she told CNBC’s Larry Kudlow in late July, “I tell ya, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me: What is it exactly that the V.P. does every day?"

“I’m used to being very productive and working real hard and in administration,” she continued. “We want to make sure that the V.P. slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that were trying to accomplish up her for the rest of the us before I can even start addressing that question.”

“It’s a pretty big job, madam governor,” Kudlow told her.

“This is a pretty cool job here, too, though as governor of Alaska,” Palin responded.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Doug in Seattle

I must say, the Republican party is good at picking up the "single issue" voters. Now they have the "woman-on-the-ticket or nothing" voters who formally supported Hillary, and the anti-abortion voters. But will that be enough to win? Hoepfully not, because Palin is woefully underqualified to be president if 72 year old McCain can't make it through 4 years.

August 29, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  2. Kel in Auburn, AL

WHAT?!?! She doesn't even know what a VP does? Come on. The McCain camp is just asking for it. This is hilarious.

August 29, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. Kiah

LMAO! What a joke!

August 29, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. Not fooled and not scared

Hey – they found 15,000 to attend? How far did they have to bus them in from?

August 29, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  5. Glenn Doty, Columbia, SC

So she's intending to use the office of the Vice President to further the concerns of Alaska, and only Alaska.

Hmm....

August 29, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. Tim

So CNN, that's what you came up with? Her saying that her current job is more challenging than she imagines the VP job would be? Put out a couple of more biased headlines, I'm sure no one notices.

August 29, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. Dennis Philadelphia

Great Experience!

August 29, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. Lawrence for barack

wat a joke, thanks mcsame for the pick lol

August 29, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  9. Guy

If it's what the present day VP does... she'll run the country and have McCain as the flunky frontman.

August 29, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. Jim

My mexican gardener has more political experience than Palin (he became an expert in foreign policy when he hopped the border fence).

August 29, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  11. W O W WO W

S E N S E---O F--–H U M O R--S O R E L Y---N E E D E D-–

W I T H---T H E----R E S T----O F--T H E---–L I O N S

August 29, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  12. Kelly from Denver

Once again McCain showed how irresponsible he is from his VP pick.

Obama/Biden 08

August 29, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  13. Mark

Isn't McCain supposed to be the candidate who "always puts his country first"? In this case, he clearly is putting his politics first. The man is 72 years old, and has been diagnosed with cancer four times. And he chooses this person to be his VP? If anything happened to him, we would have a president with absolutely no foreign policy experience, and McCain wouldn't be around to help out. Would we want Palin dealing with Putin, ahmadinejad, Pakistan, China, Israel, etc., etc., etc.

Where is your judgement now McCain?

August 29, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  14. Pepou

What does a VP does everyday ? mmm... let's see. Bring coffee to the boss ? Water the plants ? Christen a new boat ? Drill in the garden ? Make a fool of herself ? Quite a program.

August 29, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  15. Tom Eyemdaman

She is a great choice. She has executive experience. She takes on corruption on BOTH sides of the isle. She has an 80+ approval rating in her state. She is is the type of reformer McCain needs to surround himself with!

McCain / Palin 08

August 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. Former republican white man from california for Obama

she has no idea because she has no experience to draw from! He made the worst possible choice he could and for what to pander to the PUMA idiots that really were rove operatives anyway. Poor judgment and no experience the GOP ticket 08. I hope with Obama in the White house the GOP will kick out these extremist from our party on the radical right and make this the party of true conservatism again

August 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  17. Dylan

Wow this is one of the saddest political ploys in modern history. To put this first term governor of a state that's home to only a few more people than the CITY I live in a heartbeat away from the Presidency is downright ludicrous.

McSame must think all women are pretty stupid.

August 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  18. vw

Clyburn said the choice of Palin is risky, I will ask my fellow countryman, is it really much more risky than to have an inexperienced president nominee? Probably NOT.

August 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  19. David

Horrifically misguided choice solely aimed at catorying to a slect few potential swing voters rather than ensuring the security of the US. She is far from being able to jump in to the roll of Presedent if McCain is unable to complete his term (at 72 and with a troubling medical history the chances of a major medical issue are far to likely). Did everyone else say NO, is a desperate choice.

August 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  20. Dude

What makes Sen. McCain think that this gal is qualifed to take over the leadership of this country if it were even possible for him to get elected? 2 years as a Govenor? Of Alaska? Before that she was a Mayor? The republican party has the gall to question Senator Obama's qualifications? Sen. McCain is how old today? 72? Sorry, but in my view it's NO GAIN McCAIN!

August 29, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  21. Hillary Supporter

And she's ready? she doesn't even know!! poor lady!! Shame on McCain!

August 29, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  22. Alex

exactly, exactly!!! why is media making her all great... she's a school teacher... c'mon, ...she looks like a school teacher!!!

August 29, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  23. S

I just read her bio on wikipedia. She was a beauty queen who worked her way up. She sounds like a smart, strong woman, but there are some issues. She is currently under investigation in her own state. I'm not sure about how I feel about that. I'm a Democrat and will more than likely vote for Obama, but I was trying to stay openminded at the same time. I think this has made up my mind.

August 29, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  24. Muz

Haha she didn't know a month ago what the VP does but now is McCain's running mate, definitely a joke.

August 29, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  25. earle

Thank you Senator Mccain, after seeing how women were treated by the Democrat's, this former Democrat will be gladly voting/contributing to Mccain.

August 29, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |