August 29th, 2008

Palin: 'What is it exactly that the VP does every day?'

Gov. Palin gratefully accepted her new role Friday.

Gov. Palin gratefully accepted her new role Friday.

DAYTON, Ohio (CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin gratefully accepted her new role as John McCain’s running mate on Friday, telling an audience of 15,000 Ohioans that the job “will demand the best that I have to give, and I promise nothing less.”

In a recent television appearance, however, Palin downplayed her V.P. chances by lampooning the office’s professional requirements.

“As for that V.P. talk all the time,” she told CNBC’s Larry Kudlow in late July, “I tell ya, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me: What is it exactly that the V.P. does every day?"

“I’m used to being very productive and working real hard and in administration,” she continued. “We want to make sure that the V.P. slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that were trying to accomplish up her for the rest of the us before I can even start addressing that question.”

“It’s a pretty big job, madam governor,” Kudlow told her.

“This is a pretty cool job here, too, though as governor of Alaska,” Palin responded.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Impartial Jury

Back in the game, don't let those polls fool you, this race has never been close. That's why he had to try to pander to the angry Hillary supporters, but guess what, her pro-life, gun-toting conservative cred is going to send them right back to the Democrats. 2 years as Gov in Alaska – wow. So neither of them will be prepared to deal with the economic crisis. Sarah "Danielle Quayle" Palin we'll never know ye.

August 29, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. Flip Flop Obama

Go Palin, you gotta love it. Barrack who?

Go McCain

August 29, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  3. LOL

What a joke. I am a PUMA supporter who would never vote for this ticket. McCain must believe we are all ignorant.

This type of bait and switch ploy will never work. One skirt is not just as good as the next.

Palin is no HILARY CLINTON.

We PUMAS are INSULTED that McCain thinks we could all be so gullible that we don't know the difference between a woman of substance and an ex-beauty queen who is under investigation in her home state and who has a disabled newborn who she is leaving to chase her own folly.

What a disgrace John McCrazy.

PUMAS for OBAMA!

August 29, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. gary

FORMER REPUBLIC FROM CA. WHAT DOES IT MATTER TO YOU OR ANYONE THAT SUPPORTS O.B. MY HATS OFF TO MCCAIN. AT LEAST HE ISN'T BIAS AGAINST GENDER FOR VP. HE DONT FLIP FLOP ABOUT A SHORT LIST WITH A WOMAN VP ,AND THAN NOT VET HER. O.B. HAD A CHOICE FOR MAKING HISTORY FOR BOTH HRC AND HIMSELF. HE AND DNC MADE SURE THAT WOULDN'T HAPPEN. SO JUST WORRY ABOUT YOUR CANIDATE. ALL WOMAN SHOULD BE PROUD OF MCCAIN GIVING THEIR GENDER A CHANCE FOR HISTORY. NOT LIKE O.B. THINKING ONLY ABOUT HIMSELF. MCCAIN IS FOR REAL CHANGE ALL THE WAY AROUND. WATCH OUT DEMS IN NOV. AMERICA GETS WHAT THEY ASK FOR.

August 29, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. sine

My intelligence as an educated woman has been insulted. To think that I would pick mccain because he picked a woman as his VP. You just proved why Barack is fit to be president – the whole "we don't know him" "he is too inexperienced" talk is out the window.

How you pick THIS woman to be a heartbeat away tis beyond me. she seems like a lovely lady . But picking a person who's qualifications are being a mother of 5, 2 year governor of ALASKA (yes alaska)and holds a BS in journalism VS. obama or Biden, is just plain old irresponsible. Everyone should be outraged. At least Mccain could have showed some respect and actually picked a qualified woman like Condi Rice.

I am so incredibly angry at how he is willing to gamble american lives just so he can fulfill his long held dream about being president. No one has ever asked him why he runs for president every single term?

God help us all at his judgment.

August 29, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  6. Democracynow2008

She will not help McCain and those now deciding to vote for McCain are Republicans mostly anyway.

McCain just gave the election to Obama/Biden.

August 29, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  7. GOP Desperate

You know Palin is NOT going to rally any women behind her, she is NOT prochoice, she had not championed women's causes like Biden has for women. She has 5 kids, she will certainly not have time to answer the phone at 3:00 am, too many kids. Biden on the other hand, ready on day one, a foriegn affairs leader, and someone who has a long record of fighting for women's issues. McCain, is 72 today, he should have picked someone who can ultimately become president should he get sick, which is a very real possibility for someone his age. Bad move, very bad move.

August 29, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  8. Alexander Stavros

Sarah Palin as a Vicepresident? Wow!!!!!!! Cool!!!!! I like her. What a beautiful surprise!!! I hoped Arnold Schwarzenneger as McCain's running mate, but in this case I make an extraordinary exception. Sarah Palin is a beautiful Queen. She is amazing.!!!

August 29, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  9. Bonnie in Texas

Politically, she is a brilliant choice. Practically, perhaps not so good. It will be interesting to see her up against Biden in a debate. I'm reserving judgement on that basis.

August 29, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  10. vic nashville,Tn

Wake up
    20 years bad judgment of his pastor or 80% approval rate governor

Life long democrat and Hillary strong supporter will vote for Mc Cain
    Hillary 2012 /Mc Cain/Palin2008

August 29, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  11. Jack

What is McCain doing? He should have picked Romney.....who has governed a much more complicated state economy. He also headed Bain Capital and is much more knowledgeable on economic issues. Romney is also better on foreign policy! I am not voting for this ticket. Republicans should just prepare for 2012 and get the following ticket: Romney/Jindal 2012. That is the future of the Republican party not a senile old man and a pta mom who has been governor for only 2 years!!!!

August 29, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  12. wlhess

The Democrats are squeeling like pigs going to the slaughterhouse now. McCain and the Republicans just stole Obama's thunder with an excellent pick for VP.

August 29, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  13. tpipe Owosso MI

I like the choice of Palin. She has as much political experience as their Presidential nominee but not enough to be one heatbeat from the Presidency. Come on Dem's, could you be a little bit less jealous?
    I'll be if she wasn't a Republican she would have had tons of experience. Can't wait for them to start up the fact her husband works for 'big oil'.

August 29, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  14. arlene, CA

I have NO CONFIDENCE in Palin as a Leader/President of U.S. McSame made the wrong judgment call again & he is putting all of us in jeopardy, if he were to win, & something happened to him. Hillary's supporters wanted Hillary, not just any woman, because Obama & Hillary's policies were the same on the issues.

August 29, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  15. stacy

sounds like some people are jealous already.

August 29, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  16. Kevin, Austin

“We want to make sure that the V.P. slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that were trying to accomplish up here"

Did she say that the V.P. slot should be fruitful for Alaskans? Does she understand that as V.P. she represents the Unitied States?

Can we ask her more about that statement?

August 29, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  17. Mary

Great choice! Lots of executive experience, current governor, former city mayor, ethics commissioner and city commissioner. She takes on the "good 'ol boys" and status quo, and wins! She's also very bipartisan as she has Repubs, Dems, and Independents in her current administration. Lots of economic and energy savy, too.

Go Palin & McCain!

August 29, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  18. greenfun

As a huge HRC supporter just returning home from Denver, protesting against my own party-I would just like to say THANK YOU Sen. McCain.
    You just sealed the deal with me. As a life long Democrat, this will be the first time in my 30 years as a voter that I voted Republican for anyone-ever. Brilliant choice.

August 29, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  19. Will in Richmond, VA

OH MY GOSH!!!!
    Did she really say that???

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

August 29, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  20. Rachel

I find this kind of shocking that he would choose a VP running mate with NO national experience. She's been a governor for 1 term, and on maternity leave for part of it. Realistically, if McCain dies is this governor from Alaska really qualified to run the country?

She didn't even know what the role of the VP was, and now she's qualified to be the VP. Alright. He says Obama's not qualified, but she's more qualified than him. Think about this for a second.

Voters please make yourselves aware. Don't vote for McCain just b/c his running mate is a woman. Look at all the issues and see where the candidates stand on them. Be an informed voter, not the emotional one McCain is hoping for.

Be smarter than this America!!

CNN Please post this.

August 29, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  21. diva

I am offended as a Hillary supporter (now for Obama) that McCain is pandering to women with the choice of Palin. How arrogant, sexist, and presumptiouos to think that women will vote for any woman. Hillary supporters were backing a well-educated, experienced public servant with years of an impressive resume. Women are not all alike. Somebody in the GOP needs to hear that.

August 29, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  22. Lindsay

John McCain should be in a circus somewhere. Not running for president!

Maybe he does not actually want to win!

If I were a republican I would be completely insulted right now!

August 29, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  23. sandee in Portland

So sad. McCain picks a VP candidate that doesn't even know what a VP does. As a Republican, I think this truly shows his lack of good judgement which you need as President. I am a 66 year old white woman who supports women's rights such as choice on abortion. While I don't agree with everything the Democratic party stands for, his choice of VP leaves me no option but to vote Democratic now. Why would I vote for a President that has bad judgement. Why didn't he pick Romney or someone with more experience. Could it be that he wants to keep the oil companies in his pocket? (Her husband works for BP). Judgement over experience anytime!

August 29, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  24. Jeremy young republican

When I woke up this morning and heard that she may have the spot, I finally saw a glimmer of hope for the party. My heart was joyed! When I learned of Palin a few months back, heard her speak, and saw how she carried herself, I said then, that I would vote for her (knowing it would never be a possibility). And now it is. I vote for McCain by default, but now Know that I am not merely wasting my vote. She is a true conservative, and she finally makes me proud to announce that I am a republican. I live in the beltway area, and she is exactly what we need, inexperienced or not. President Lincoln I believe didn't have much experience either. Black, white, male, female.... I don't like Obama nor Clinton, and have been looked at like a bigot because I state that fact. Palin is finally proof that it is not about race/gender.

August 29, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  25. Jerry in Madison, WI

Oh, my... John McCain has just lost his mind, and the election. Good news for Dems, that's for certain! If Palin were a man, he'd never be on the ticket with that resume. The ONLY reason McCain picked her is that she's a she, and photogenic.... thought he was smarter than that... guess not.

I can just see the new Republican slogan "Support Stem Cell Research, so we can grow McCain a new brain before it's too late!"

August 29, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |