August 29th, 2008

Palin: 'What is it exactly that the VP does every day?'

Gov. Palin gratefully accepted her new role Friday.

Gov. Palin gratefully accepted her new role Friday.

DAYTON, Ohio (CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin gratefully accepted her new role as John McCain’s running mate on Friday, telling an audience of 15,000 Ohioans that the job “will demand the best that I have to give, and I promise nothing less.”

In a recent television appearance, however, Palin downplayed her V.P. chances by lampooning the office’s professional requirements.

“As for that V.P. talk all the time,” she told CNBC’s Larry Kudlow in late July, “I tell ya, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me: What is it exactly that the V.P. does every day?"

“I’m used to being very productive and working real hard and in administration,” she continued. “We want to make sure that the V.P. slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that were trying to accomplish up her for the rest of the us before I can even start addressing that question.”

“It’s a pretty big job, madam governor,” Kudlow told her.

“This is a pretty cool job here, too, though as governor of Alaska,” Palin responded.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Mike33

Uh, Isn't the VP's everyday 'job' to be a suitable understudy of sorts to the chief executive of the United States and offer intelligent and informed advice - if requested - to the President. It's not like being mayor (or mayor pro-tem) of a town 1/20th the size of the senate district Barack Obama represented when he entered elected service.

August 29, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  2. Doug R.

McCain picks a first term governor with absolutely zero Washington political experience to be his running mate. McCain= McBush= pathetic. Biden will wipe the floor with her during a debate.
    ...and is she even remotely qualified to be President if something happens to McGrandpa?? Someone walked McCain like a dog.

August 29, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. Michele

I was going to vote for Obama until today. I believe Gov. Palin will be a strong Vice President and I am proud that John McCain picked her. I am ProLife and have many friends that believe the same way I do. It is going to be an exciting race!

August 29, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  4. mirto

Hello!!!!!!!!!

She is a risky pick, picked to pander to women because McCain can't draw them.

CNN.... lets talk about how McCain couldn't even get 10,000 people to show at his Ohio speech today. Supposedly, he had to hire busses to pick up people and teel them that if they get on the bus, they can get a free trip to Dayton, Ohio to watch McCain. HA!

She is very, very inexperienced, more than Obama. Before her 20 month governor run, she was a mayor of a 9,000 population town. Lets leave the country in the hands of a rookie!

You republicans make me sick. That is why I have swayed the other way this time.... you and your weak, dirty tricks. Shame on you, republicans. I have no respect for liars (Don't we teach our children not to lie?)

August 29, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  5. Kristina, Seattle

Wow... she sounds like a real rocket scientist.

Sorry, John, she's no Hillary Clinton. Nice ploy though.

August 29, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  6. JinNC

As a mother, I am furious. Palin is being praised for carrying a down syndrome baby to term and I admire that. But this is what has always bothered me about the hard-core pro-life group. They seem to care more about a fetus than they do the child after birth. I just cannot understand how a mother would decide to have a special needs child and then put her political career above the care and love that child will need. There is no substitute for a mother. The decision to have and care for a child is a life decision, not a 9 month decision.

August 29, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He must have picked her because to pick another senator would reduce the chance of the Republicans having control of the Senate and increase the chances of Democrats of having a filbuster proof majority.

August 29, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. A house divided

Hey Dylan...

A first term governor and a w term mayor as VP trumps Obama. Sarah is 3 years into a popular governorship.

Obama has campaigned the entire first term as senator.

August 29, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Dan J

The Governor of a State makes more decisions in a week than a Senator makes in a year. She ran the largest state in the country with the highest approval rate in the country.

Zero experience? That's at the top of the Democratic ticket.

August 29, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  10. MARY

Is she ready to be be President should something happen to Mccain?

I don't think so. Very scary. Someone has defintely lost all their marbles.

August 29, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. ShirleyY - Seattle

BASED ON WHAT SHE SAID, SHE IS MORE CONCERN ABOUT THE ALASKANS THAN ANYONE ELSE.

August 29, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. Lynn

I'm switching from Hillary to Sarah !!!

August 29, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. DUSTIN

That "caregiver" is going to be the child's father you noob

August 29, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  14. Cynthia

The important thing is that the VP pick is a heartbeat away from being President and that is one heartbeat away that I don't want her. This country is in a mess and I would feel more confident that the country is headed in the right direction the country if it was in the hands of Senators Obama and Bidden and in addition to that feel more safe. Senator McCain worries me but him picking her worries me evenmore.

August 29, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  15. HF in CA

McCain's choice is certainly not without its negative aspects. But everybody else had a negative side too - Romney was bitter in the primaries, Ridge is pro-abortion, Pawlenty would have been "safe", etc etc. McCain's choice shows he truly is the maverick everyone plays him up to be, and Palin brings a unique and new perspective to the race.

You could call me one of those "quantity" McCain supporters where I was planning to vote for him anyway, but the "quality" of my vote was certainly lackluster. I think I may vote for him now with a little more fervor...

August 29, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  16. Hypocrits for Obama

She has more experience than Obama.

If Obama is qualified for President... then she is certainly MORE qualified for VP and – if need be- the presidency.

August 29, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  17. Nathan Klintworth

I think McCain made a great choice.The democrats think that was a risky move,while Obama not picking Hillary as VP was not.Lets see what Palin has to bring before we start judging her.

August 29, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  18. rhoward

Considering how McCain votes on women's issues, I really wonder why any woman would want to be on his ticket. If selecting Ms. Palin is an effort to appeal to Hillary Clinton followers, I'm not sure that it'll work.

August 29, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  19. ANDY DAAS

This should be a slam dunk for the Democrates.

August 29, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  20. Beth

Better an inexperienced VP than an inexperienced President !!!

August 29, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  21. JD

At first I thought he had gone completely insane.

Then I realized he had chosen his Cheney–big oil connections bring in the campaign cash and everyone will be so freaked out about what she would do if she actually took over as president that he won't be impeached no matter what he does.

.... Of course that makes you wonder what he is planning.

August 29, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  22. KC

Executive experience? She has a degree in journalism!! McCain is 72 yrs old!! It just goes to show you once again McCain has no judgement. Except for picking beauty pageant winners.

August 29, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  23. Dee Jay a young republican

she leads a state with a population of 200.000 people.......

August 29, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  24. wow!!!!

she didn't know what the vp does, hopefully, she will never find out what the pres. does

August 29, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  25. He is out of his mind!! Sheer hypocrisy!

After continuously repeating over and over and over about Obama's lack of experience, McCain chooses someone with LESS experience.

Just say no to the "Make No Sense Express" McCan’t/Who??

August 29, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |