August 30th, 2008

First Obama ad on Palin avoids mentioning her at all

Palin makes fewer appearances than Bush in first Obama ad since her pick.
Palin makes fewer appearances than Bush in first Obama ad since her pick.

(CNN) - Since Barack Obama distanced himself from his campaign’s first tough reaction to presumptive Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin, his team seems to be figuring out the best way to direct their fire. In the meantime, their ad approach when it comes to the Alaska governor is simple: keep aiming at John McCain.

Obama’s campaign has begun airing its first ad that includes Palin – but never criticizes her, or even mentions her name. The 30-second spot, which started airing Saturday on national cable in advance of next week’s GOP convention, keeps up the line of attack ran through the Democratic convention: that a McCain presidency would mean the continuation of the Bush policy approach. The campaign would not say how extensive the ad buy was.

"Well, he's made his choice," says the announcer in ‘No Change.’ "But, for the rest of us there's still no change. McCain doesn't get it, calling this broken economy 'strong.' Wants to keep spending ten-billion-a-month in Iraq. And votes with George Bush 90 percent of the time.

(Updated with Joe Biden's first general election ad after the jump)

"So, while this may be his running mate..." he continues, over footage of McCain and a smiling Sarah Palin, which shifts to footage of McCain and Bush. "America knows this is John McCain's agenda. And we can't afford four more years of the same."

An Obama spokesman had reacted to the announcement that McCain had tapped Palin as his running mate Friday with a statement that called her "the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience."

Obama, who later complimented Palin in a statement, backed away from the criticism. "I think, you know, campaigns start getting these hair triggers," he told reporters. "And the statement that Joe and I put out reflects our sentiments."

UPDATE: The Obama campaign also released its first ad featuring Joe Biden, which stresses his Scranton, Pennsylvania roots in advance of his Monday visit to the area.

“Scranton’s a place that never leaves you. It becomes part of your heart,” Biden says in the 30-second spot, which is airing in Northeast Pennsylvania. “Barack Obama learned the same lesson while being raised by a single mom and his grandparents.”

The new tagline: "Obama-Biden. For the change we need."

1. Tim

McCain put his campaign ahead of the country by picking such an inexperienced VP.

It's beyond mystifying, it's dangerous.

August 30, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  2. Jacob

Obama studied Constitutional law- Palin has a bachellor's in journalism.

August 30, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. Sherri

Ms. Palin has no record...she was the Mayor of a town of 6,500 people. Come on. Democratic women will not vote for her...she is ultra conservative, pro war, wants to teach Creationism in the schools, doesn't believe in abortion even in the case of rape or endangering the health of a woman...we don't need any more info. McCain's policies, judgment and leadership are completely lacking. This choice makes it completely apparent.

I will never vote for the McCain/Palin ticket. It is a slap to the Hillary supporters, an absolute slap. McCain doesn't understand feminism...it's not the gender...it's what a person, man or woman, stands for. Ms. Palin does not share my values.

August 30, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Fernando F.

TOOK ME 12 HOURS but I got it... The other VP Republican candidates say no to McCain... they know McCain is going to lose in November, and they don't want to lose with him because they are thinking in running in 4 (for sure 8) years. On camera the candidates maybe say "yes, I'll serve my country if he calls me" but I think they all drop, one by one... so McCain kept looking and looking, and saw nothing but low popularity, and he ended in Alaska. He doesn't know her but that doesn't matter at this moment. She looks very nice in camera.

August 30, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  5. HRJ

Gregg – If you notice closely in her speech yesterday. McCain stands behind her reading her prepared statements. He even mouths the words himself a couple times! Total puppets!!

August 30, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  6. LaShanda

America should be afraid! This woman has publicly said that she doesn't know much about Iraq even though she has a son going there. Who do you want handling our enemies? Joe Biden or Sarah Palin? This has nothing to do with gender. I am a woman, but this ticket with THAT woman will NOT get my vote. John McCain has proven that experience is now OFF the table. He has proven that the less experienced candidate, Barack Obama, has the better judgment to be the leader of our great nation. Barack truly put America first with Joe Biden. I am praying that Barack slays John McCain in the debates. I pray that Joe Biden does not treat this woman with kid gloves. He has to be careful, but if she thinks she is good enough to be VP she had better be able to handle it. A woman that John McCain has only met twice should NOT be VP.

August 30, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  7. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Let's examine the tickets:

Barack & Michelle Obama – Both lawyers.

Joe & Jill Biden – He, a lawyer; she a PhD in Education.
    ____________________________________________________

John & Cindy McCain – He barely graduated from Annapolis, even with his 4-star Admiral pappy's help; she has a Masters in Education and inherited a fortune.

Sarah & Todd Palin – She has a BS in Journalism; Todd is a part-time fisherman, part-time oil field worker.

August 30, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  8. Auntie Coosa, Blairsville, Georgia, USofA

How can John S McCain "vote with George Bush" when George Bush is not in the Senate to vote with? What kind of double speak is this coming from Obama?

Before you make a negative comment, check up on exactly WHO Sarah Palin is. She has more executive experience than Obama and Biden and McCain. She's been in politics since 1992. And WHEN did Obama decide to run for Illinois Senate? She has gone toe-to-toe with the Republicans and SHE WON. She's a Maverick. She wants lower taxes. She wants to cut unneeded expenses, like that "bridge to nowhere" and every road, bridge, school, building, parking lot that Harry Byrd gets when he adds PORK to Senate bills. Can you see Sarah Palin going toe-to-toe with the PORK BARREL Senators? She'll Win! She's already started the pipeline to bring Natural Gas to the lower 48. She's done something totally BIPARTISON. What has Obama done that was bipartisan???

Sarah Palin is a white woman and as we all know, Barack Obama does not even allow his white woman Grandma to be interviewed, so what's Obama's problem with "white women?"

August 30, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  9. America First!

Dems are stuck in the fix they rigged
    August 30th, 2008 11:03 am ET

How much do you know about the the constitution? Higher Education? What a JD is?

If I had known that the GOP were not concerned about the issues then they should have had Simon Coils pick McCain's running mate.

Sarah Palin has an excellent record in her own right and appears to be a very competent public official in Alaska.

My gripe is that the attack dawgs of the GOP are well off the mark!

Vote for your future, not their past!

Obama '08

August 30, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  10. Fox/Albuquerque NM

Just checked out the CNN poll on the main website, 68% to 32% People think Joe Biden was a better VP pick than Palin. Wow.

August 30, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  11. RJ

Sarah Palin is the game-changer for McCain and undecided voters. Obama badly needed a game-changer - so he picked bumbling Biden. Then, in the end, Obama's attempt at "game changing" was nothing more than a Las Vegas style extravaganza that explained - what exactly? - about the "changes" he wants to make?

Now that "the children's hour" is drawing to a close, it's grown-up time again in America.

McCain/Palin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 30, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  12. Elizabeth

John McCain had my respect even though I am a registered Democrat. and I understand the need to make shrewd political decisions in order to capture the crown, but this decision is irresponsible. That Sarah Palin could become President is frightening. Despite my strong feelings about the Bush presidency and Dick Cheney, I don't think his choice of Cheney was irresponsible. John McCain would have never selected a man with similar qualifications! I pray ever more fervently that he will be defeated .

August 30, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  13. LA

I like Obama, but frankly I think Obama is walking a very fine line if he attacks Palin on experience. His is not much more and he is first on the ticket (community organizer, lawyer, 2 terms state legislator, first term senator.) I think attacking Palin on experience would only magnify how little he has and really convince people the democratic ticket is upside down.

August 30, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  14. ron

if McCain doesn't get it why is Obama having so much trouble pulling ahead in the polls the voters have a couple of months to get to know her if they like what they see then it's game over for Obama. he had is chance for a slam dunk by selecting Hillary but his ego got in the way of good judgement. if his campaign is all about the people why is he and the democrats spending so much time and money promoting obama. just the mention of attack dogs give you a pretty good idea of the real Obama persona, also someone should tell him that talking loud and yelling does not make you tough. it just shows your scared and trying to psyche yourself out.

August 30, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  15. Rayna Hernandez

On another note, to all of you commenter's who say Obama was eleceted because of race, I have to say you are all very naeive.. He was nominated because he is a different kind of politician, he's not only inspiring and intelligent, he's got a good mind and fresh ideas.. Now I would have to say, and I don't think I'm alone here, the best President's we've had were the one's painted as inexperienced.. The only reason Sarah Palins experience is even an issue right now is because the McCain campaign has made it such a huge issue with Barack Obama.. The tables have turned and I think McCain has dug himelf a grave fit for two out of touch republicans with odd ties to oil industries. Hrmm..

August 30, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  16. Marilyn

Obama has no more experience than Palin does, and he is running for president!

August 30, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Sam 15

John McCain made a very stupid and thoughtless choice in his VP pick. Picking a woman he only met once. I think McCain is going for the womens vote, but in going for it, he has put his whole campaign in jeaprody. I think of him as a hipocritical person now, more than i did before. He speaks so much on Barack Obamas youth and inexperience, then puts someone younger and more inexperienced, well in position to be the next president of the U.S.. if the obama campaign is smart they will ask voters if Sarah Palin is ready to lead, because shes just a heartbeat away from the presidency....... Sam Price
    15 years old

August 30, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. TO

Please note that Obama used poor judgment when he decided not to choose Hillary as his VP.

August 30, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. Jerry

Can CNN make availabile the Democrat and Republican Platforms?

I was watching CNN and the guest speaker said that Americans were not interested in the parties' platforms. Well the platforms are not made easily availabile to the public. Who is not making those availabile; the party leaders or the news media?

August 30, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  20. Your Conscience

Palin you're doin a heck of a job.

America deserves better.

August 30, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  21. Mike Dallas

The Republican far right is now spinning the selection of Palin as the VP nominee and stating how outraged they are about comments or indications that Palin was selected because of her gender.

So, my question to the these Republicans is this:

We have a nationally obscure mythical male who was born in Montana, was a high school basketball star, avid hunter via helicopter, becomes Homecoming King at the local high school, leverages this into a place on the city council and subsequently becomes mayor of this village of 9,000. Then becomes the governor of Montana for 18 months and is currenlty being investigated for abusing the power of his office, and finally, marries a wife employed by BP, Would the Republican VP nomination have been offered to this mythical male over all the other humans that were vetted and qualified for this position??? I didn’t think so, so stop pretending that the fact that this nominee has a set of ovaries, over testes, was not factored into the final decision. You only make the Republican party look more ludcrious, with each such statement and feigned offense. However, you are right she is not a token, the correct term is a political pawn simply being used to energize the Republican rabid Right and pander to some women, altho, one would hope she only appeals to women that already agree and are happy being considered as chattel by their husbands, and want all women's current reproduction rights reversed. However, it seems to me, these females would already be staunch Republicans.

This just in, and requires changes to the above scenerio, Pat Buchanan on MSNBC actually called her a “girl” while Newt Gringrich said her “beauty” was a qualification for VP on F@@k the News. So, let us change our mythical male to a “handsome boy”.

Maybe it is due to the fact, that at 57, my estrogen levels must be increasing, because even I find those statements demeaning, condescending and patently offensive!

August 30, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  22. Dem for McCain

As a Democrat who is voting for McCain because of his exerience, I'm a little nervous about John's new VP. But she does have executive experience and has been a reformer in her own right. In the end, I'll be voting for McCain because he's the top of his league, the best candidate of either party since Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton. I'd rather have a VP with a learning curve than a president who has the credentials of Obama.

August 30, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  23. larry hoffma

Shock Shock – Sarah Palin has MORE EXPERIENCE THAN OBAMA. Hie has been a senator for 3 years and running for Pres 3 years..
    She has run a state government and has PROVEN CHANGE.
    Funny how a Man with no experience is OK, but a women, NO NO.
    Shame on the Media, Sexism did not stop with Hillary.
    Buy the way, Joe Biden votes FOR THE WAR, AGAINST THE GULF WAR, and he is the expert, ha ha. Shows what a fake Obama is when the gave HIllary and hard time for voting for the war. Bidn is CHANGE, HA HA AHA.

August 30, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  24. James R Maddox Jr

John McCain has hit a grand slam home run. My mother was going to vote for Hillary and my wife is Republican and was agonizing over not voting or voting for John McCain with his views on abortion. My mother particularly wanted the health care and having a woman was quite a clincher. With this he has gotten both of their votes. I am a conservative and really wanted Fred Thompson to get out there and do something. I too was thinking of not voting because McCain seemed weak on immigration. I however did like his conservative approach to spending this country's money, and with a woman who holds these values while working to put a stop to the ethics horrors, well he just got my vote. I feel that a woman can do the job just as well as a man, and I think that all of those women who were gonna vote for Hillary are gonna like this one hell of a lot. They feel that the media (ABC, NBC, CBS and the newspapers in general) were against Hillary and did everything that they could to suppress her run for Presidency. On top of that her own party officials jumped in the race and tried to suppress her ie... (Nancy Pelosi, Howard Dean and the likes...) I myself voted for Bill Clinton both times he ran for President because I felt that he was a powerful force and could lead this country. On the other hand I voted for Ronald Reagan and George W Bush both times because I believe he was the right man for the job. So unlike most of the others that hit these blogs, I have voted both sides of the aisle, because no one party has all the answers. I will not vote for Obama because I feel that he will cower to other nations, in particular the Middle East. If you will notice our gas prices did not turn around until George W Bush threatened them with offshore drilling. You have to let the market know that we will drill in our own country if they artificially inflate the crude prices, and I believe that John McCain and Sarah Palin not only intend on doing this, but will bring Congress kicking and screaming to the drilling platform, and may even suck the wind out of the sails of the gouging oil companies which have destroyed our economy.

August 30, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. Very Interested Observer

This whole thing was over on Thursday night, BUT then came McCain with his announcement. Wow!!

To repeat James Carvel (and I never thought I would do that) "WHAT IF HE WINS?" A very interesting question that we in the rest of the world are asking. What happens if McCain actually wins?

Until now, as a very interested observer, who saw the best and worst in both candidates, and honestly thought either could be a great leader, I could not tear myself from the CNN coverage. I was anxious to see how you (the people) would choose between these two great men.

While this race is now over, I will continue to watch, as I am not only entertained by History and News but also by cartoons, and unfortunately for you, and the rest of the world, this race just became a joke!

BUT, it will be fun to watch!

August 30, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |