August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Bob, Michigan

@ comment by interesting at 7:21. Yes it's interesting that you call Biden sexist and then go on to call Obama, "boy". I guess that makes you a racist.

August 31, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  2. Paul

Biden makes a self-depricating comment and 1) it becomes a CNN headline; and 2) fodder for fools waiting to jump on any non-issue to avoid discussing what really matters.

Disgraceful.

August 31, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  3. Gerald Layne

I wonder if Palin will be Biden's weakness. For one, he speaks from the hip in a very political correct media environment. She has excutive budget balnce experience. This election just got exciting.

August 31, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  4. Jay

Rudy, you know that Biden is just as 'self-controlled' as McCain. Actually he's more self-controlled. He never left his wife for other women. He never selectively chose beauty queens to be by his side. And if he expressed his temper, i.e. on Bush' comments during a visit to the Knesset, it was appropriate. I said the same thing about dubya. McCain would be out of control if given the chance. He and Palin are Pro Life "and" Pro Dumb War ..... don't forget.... based on lies.

Secondly, despite her 'executive experience', her resume' lists a B.S. in journalism with minor in political science. Both Biden and Obama have J.D.'s.

August 31, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  5. Tracey

I'm clean and well spoken. In addition, I can articulate myself through written words, but that doesn't make me ready to be an heart beat away from President!

obo8

August 31, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  6. Wake up!!!

When did calling a woman good looking become sexist.
    you mean a woman cannot be intelligent and good looking.
    the later would be the sexist outlook.

Cnn Post this and STOP trying to make Trouble!!

August 31, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  7. 4Obama

People keep talking about executive experience.......excately what do you call Obama manageing the best political machine ever? He has never ran out of money, there is no drama and it spreads across the United States.

It's a good thing this innocent statement was so overblown because it has made it perfectly clear why McCain picked her.

August 31, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  8. analaskan

Oh yeah! Thiese kind of comments sure do prove to me how vastly intellignet and experienced in foreign affairs this candidate is. (And where women stack up in his opinion)

August 31, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  9. Nora

Cindy McCain said today " Palin has National Security Experience because Alaska is close to Russia ".

August 31, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  10. nkm

Senator Biden is neither sexist nor patronizing; he just suffers from the good old foot in the mouth affliction!!

BTW, some of the comments seem to suggest that somehow Palin invited Biden's comments by being a beautyqueen runner up. How interesting??!!

August 31, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  11. Clinton/McCain

Biden is a wierdo. I think he's going to cause problems for the Obama campaign.

August 31, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  12. Tracey

I rest my case! The republican bloggers were still unable to answer the question of appropriate vetting of this woman to the American people. John claims to have love for this country! That is his campaign slogan, "Country First." He did not think about this country when he made this reckless decision. He is now going to "introduce" her to the American people, 60+days before the election! Wow! This is not acceptable! This is like, entrusting your new next door neighbor who just move into your neighborhood yesterday, to babysit your children while you go out. You can twist this decision how ever way you choose, but you know, it is reckless!

obo8

August 31, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  13. Conrad Anderson Jr

It is truly unfortunate that you Democrats have such nasty comments.
    And the comments of Pdixon I will address by saying when you choose abortion it is not your body but that of a child, so you are wrong, it is not your choice. And you know what, if you are pro abortion we don't need your vote. You know where you can take your nasty comments and your pro abortion views.

August 31, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  14. OBAMA WAS ELECTED PALIN WAS SELECTED

Guess I have to keep posting this until all you dittoheads get the difference. Even if you think that a Harvard law degree in constitutional law is equal to a B.S in journalism from Idaho as "experience" Obama was ELECTED NOT SELECTED by one angry old desperate man willing to risk the future of 300 million Americans by throwing them under the Straight Talk Express(I am suprised I stil type those 3 words without giggling). That is what most thinking people are concerned about is McCrypt 's obvious mental decay with this "judgment" selection. When people are ELECTED then the people have a say in the SELECTION. It may be foreign concept to Republicans but it is called Democracy, you can Google it for the definition.

So, hold onto the tobbacky can as this may rock your world, but some folks do NOT think Rush is smart and just because he thinks she is a "babe" may qualify her as VP material in that single functioning brain cell that dittoheads seem to have in common, but about 200 million of us will actually make a decision by ourselves.

I know you felt the earth wobble on it's axis by me speaking such heresy but there is a whole world outside of talk radio!

August 31, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  15. John

Biden also said Obama was good looking and thats not the headline.

August 31, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  16. Not asleep at the Switch

LOLOLOL CNN the ONLY Blog to INCLUDE FOX that has failed to allow ONE story of the DOZENS about Palin to show up. She is falling apart and it has been barely 48 hours. CNN you can Censor all you want like you do for Mccain everyday but like me HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of people have left CNN behind and get our news elswhere.

I know you won't post this..CNN lost its backbone as soon as Hillary Lost to Obama, now it is ANYONE BUT OBAMA CNN!!!

Oh yeah I know you won't post this, that is why I have already posted it ( And it was Published) on FOX, HUFFPO, MSNBC about half a dozen other blogs.

We used to talk about CNN arond the office now we just talk about how CNN Sold out.

August 31, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  17. MD in Oklahoma

When Palin gave her speech, I thought it was immature for her to say how she is still with the same man she met in high school vs saying I am proud to have been married to Todd for x number of years.

I also thought she was going to mention Shirley Chisholm in her speech. I wonder why she failed to mention her name.

August 31, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  18. Rob Shore

Thank God there is finally someone on any ticket who has some Executive government leadership experience. Governor Palin has more Executive experience than Obama, Biden, HR Clinton and McCain combined.

There is a reason why America rarely elects Senators to the highest office, it comes down to a lack of real experience. I'm sure Barry, Joe and John did great jobs running their Senate office staffs. That doesn't quite measure up to running a State and acting as the Commander of the militia in that State. John McCain recognized he needed the help.

I'm quite comfortable with a woman who can shoot straight and clings to her gun, occupying the Blair House and has not sold her soul to the DC elite. She scares the hell out of the Beltway Bandits.

August 31, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  19. Juan Grain

We love you Joe! Don't worry Palin will be jiffy-pop vetted and McCain is already getting grief for his poor judjement on his first real decision. He is a maverick alright, one that has been roped & tied and branded with the letter P, P for Palin by the Rush Rove Neo-con gang! What a sad way to end your carrer Juan McPlain. You should have switched parties when you cried to Reid about the treatment the lat time.

August 31, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  20. Josh

These guys are joking around about her looks and at least from this article don't appear to attack her on anything with actual merit. They had better be careful they don't further offend the women in their party with cruddy comments like these.
    I know there are some out there saying "equal pay for equal work is an issue with substance," but seriously, do you actually believe this woman believes what they're saying she does regarding women's rights in the workplace? If anyone is going to believe women should get paid less it will be some of the three men running for office.

August 31, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  21. Anonymous

Biden is s senator that has made a career out of sitting in committee meetings in the senate, towing the party line, and attacking the other party. Obama is the of he same mold–just a new kid on the block .The fact is, Palin has more executive experience than either of them combined! It also appears she has a life experience (hunting, fishing, raising kids, reforming the world around her) that does circles around either of these bureaucrats. They need to get a life!

August 31, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  22. Clevelander

Why can't Senator Biden say Sarah Palin is good looking? That's a true statement! If you are a man who is straight and you don't think she is good looking, there is something wrong with your vision or your brain.

Stop all the silly attacks on a good public servant. If you think a statement like this is offensive, you are either too stupid to understand the beauty scale or you are just a GOP attack machine.

If this is the game that GOP is interested in playing, why don't you denounce all that stupid things that Bush has said or done for this country. We are hurting badly here in Ohio. Why doesn't GOP do something?

NO MORE GOP 08

August 31, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  23. mary kirk

Biden is OK, don't pick on the man,however, our family's voting McCain/Palin08

August 31, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  24. tom richards

Obama's ship had been sinking and Biden provided the final nail in the his coffin.

September 1, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |