August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. pdixon

It really blows my mind that Palin, a woman, can be so opposed to women's rights. We are not talking about special rights for women, but equal rights. As a black woman, I can understand some of the arguments against affirmative action, but opposing equal pay for equal work? Opposing a woman's right to choose? I don't get her and she will not get my vote!

August 31, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  2. Donna

no, Senator Biden is not sexist. No, Senator Biden is not trivializing Ms. Palin's candidacy. No, Senator Biden is not being patronizing.

August 31, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  3. Josh

This guys have the whole package to run this wonderful country to the right direction!!!

August 31, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. babs

How stupid, doesn't sound very presidential? What is he? drunk?

August 31, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  5. Keith

Glad to see Barack having a little fun over this, but we really need to attack the living heck out of this disgraceful, insulting pick.. Palin is a worthless neo-conservative whack and is way way way worse than Bush. Look at her record and it'll tell the story plain as day.

Obama/Biden 08 and 12!

August 31, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  6. Paul

These two guys are so annoying – McCain and Palin are a breath of fresh air after being bombarded with images of Obama and Biden. Well arrogance and ego still appear to be at the top of the Obama/Biden agenda. Leave it to an idiotic Joe Biden after all of the talk of sexism in the campaigns to make a comment on his opponents physical appearance. WHAT A JOKE THESE TWO ARE – WAKE UP AMERICA.

August 31, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. Joe From Ohio

Here we go... the "sexist" label will be thrown everywhere this election. Change the headline CNN! The media just can't help themselves with stirring up this propaganda.

August 31, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  8. Jon

This will rank right up with Biden's comments on how "clean" Obama is.

August 31, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  9. Lame story

CNN, are you trying to stir something up posting stories like these?

Why don't you stick with the substance.

Isn't this a NEWS organization?

August 31, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  10. Dawn

That is probably what Mc Cain was thinking too. Biden just said it.

August 31, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  11. bob

I only hope that Obama's camp doesn't slip up and makes a remark that will hurt them during the campaign. They should leave that up to the bloggers.

For all of the democratic women and fence sitters that will vote for Mc Cain because of his female running mate. I hope they realize that she is a McCain policy supporter which puts her in the same boat as Bush and if McCain is elected, she will be another puppet added to the show just like Rice. It doesn't matter how intelligent she is. You are only going to be as smart as the party you work for!

August 31, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  12. nate

His quip was self-deprecating and charming. Your headline implies it as sexist. Sorry but this old writer knows that game.

August 31, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  13. Brandon

I found that hilarious! And jam-packed with truthiness...

He has foreign policy experience + 36 years in the Senate... she has good looks.

But I bet there will be a woman's group SOMEWHERE that calls that comment "sexist"...

August 31, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. Charlotte

Now this offends me as much as the sweetie comment! Women can not be smart and attractive? Obama made a big mistake ignoring half the democrats. I never voted for Hillary because she was a woman, I voted for her because she was the best candidate. I did not want to vote for McCain, Sarah may give me cause to rethink that. The good old boys are alive and well, and still trying to put women down.

August 31, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. S. Boatman

Ask Her About Foreign Policy, Or The Economy, The Two Wars We Are In, Alternative Fuels, . . . On All Of These Issues She Looks Really Ugly To Me!

August 31, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  16. gastoys

Very sexist remarks coming from the Obama/Biden team. Very sad that they look down on women in this fashion – disappointing! :(

August 31, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  17. Mopy

Biden's gonna be the downfall of Obama.

August 31, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  18. Foreign observer

People are not to satisfy by only getting a good looking waitress. More they prefer to receive a good looking and good tasting meal.

August 31, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  19. Marty Pacino Chicago Il

This just displays how they are both misogynists and chauvinists. When both off a teleprompter Biden and Obama can only mention a womans looks. They have nothing credible to destroy her with so they just talk about her looks cause that is how they view woman just by her looks. Keep voting for liars, cowards, and the Russians. Me personally I will vote for the USA.

McCain/Palin 08

August 31, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. common sense

This guy (Senator Joe Biden) obviously has no respect for women. Wasn't he the one that made the "articulate" comment about Barack Obama in the beginning of the race. He suffers from hoof in mouth disease. It's just a matter of time before we see some more outbreaks of it.

August 31, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  21. RR florida

Nobama and his side kick are trying to put women in their place!!!
    Just down to looks, what else does a woman have to offer???
    Shame on you guys...you just showed how much change you plan to
    make!! Or not!

August 31, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  22. Nana

whew! when I saw the title of this article my heart jumped. I thought, I hope he didn't make that statement in a way that could be misconstrued as demeaning. Thank God he didn't.

"You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear." LOL

Take it from a girl in her 20's here, you are gorgeous Joe.

O'BIDEN 08!

August 31, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. J Hallmark

That's what I love about Biden. He's funny, besides being smart and knowledgeable about foreign affairs. Obama has a keen sense of humor also and I'm one of those Kool-Aid drinking supporters of his.

Go ahead Joe, and say anything you want and we will forgive any "so called gaffes" the press can dig up.

Can't wait for these two to get in the White House.

August 31, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  24. ms. indpendent

This focus on looks is a cheap shot at women from both the Barack Biden B squares. This patronizing attitude toward her good looks is trying to hint that she is no brains. She definitely seems to supersede B1 in brains and charm, as the coming days will tell. I was leaning toward the b squares. But after these cheap shots, I will consider the maverick who was not intimidated by a woman as his political mate.

August 31, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. Uncle Sam

Brought to us by the man who thought his running mate was clean and articulate. :-(

August 31, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |