August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Barrack = Palin

If Joe is like every other guy in the world, he's going to get up close to Palin, the ex-beauty queen, and start babbling like he did at the convention....y'know, the whole "blood-flow to the wrong area" thing. :)
    Kate. Springfield, MA

August 31, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  2. Karen

This entire election has turned into a CIRCUS the minute McCain announced his VP. I am not knocking on Sarah Palin's ability to be the BEST Gov. Alaska has ever seen, or how amazing her values are, or even the fact that she is a mother of five and is pro-choice. These are all great qualities she entails. Now, the real question: Is she ready to step up and quite possibly become the next President of the United States of America? President Sarah Palin. Think about that for a second. Just typing it out frightens me. I think she is a very admirable woman, just not ready to run the greatest nation in the world, not to mention is currently facing some serious issues. If she really truly loves this country and not the career gain of her own, she will allow someone who have the experience as well as time to take over this VP ticket. There are so many others out there that are qualified for this position. Please, we need someone who is willing to be in the office for the love of the country as a whole and not just the few that can benefit from short-term gain.

August 31, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. pam Eugene OR

I am shocked!!!!
    Please read THINK SMART at 5:06..
    I read the article and listened to the taped conversation. Thar is amazing they have it on tape with Palin trying he get her sisters ex husband fired.
    PLEASE POST THIS CNN AND PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT
    PleaseCNN

August 31, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  4. Oxigen

Can he compliment her without being sexist. Yes, she is young and good looking since it is Joe Biden who said it; it is sexism.
    When you talk about taking women seriously, the democrats take women more seriously than the republican. Since the 1980 the democrat been putting women on major political ticket. Geraldine Ferraro was a democrat VP running mate in the 1980. Tell me a mojor republican woman that hit that miles stone in the 1980; none, zero. Hillary Clinton was the front runner in this race for quite a while and she is a woman democrat. How can you talk about democrat think women is no brainer when they are the one who introduce them to hold these big political position. What you can say is that John McCain is using a woman to try to take some of the people that was fallowing Clinton by using a woman to do so since Hillary was a woman. McCain know how a lot of Hillary's suppotters feel about her been treated unfair and pick a woman VP to see if he can get their vote very manupilative.

August 31, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. William

Biden very much reminds me of LBJ when he was JFK's VP.

August 31, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  6. Quinn - Houston, Texas

Talk about sensitive. The next argument will be that Biden called Palin "she" instead of "my opponent."

CNN and McCain are looking forward to the instigating the "sexist" argument.

BREAKING NEWS – McCain just hugged Palin at a rally in Missouri. I guess he is sexist too!

August 31, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  7. a suthern bell for OBAMA /BIDEN

OH BIDEN DEAR, IF YOU WEREN'T MARRIED TO THAT

GORGEOUS INTELLIGENT LADY OF YOURS, WE WOULD

BE ON LINE FOR YOUR NUMBER. YOU ROCK BIDEN !!!!!!

August 31, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  8. Tracey

My question is, Why didn't John McCain vet her 18 months ago to the American people? If she is so experienced and is on top of her game, he would have done that. Say what you will, Obama was vetted by the citizens of this country, period! As well as those internationally!
    The media and American people know him as if they birthed him. We have 60 + days to learn about this woman, I don't think so. Not to mention, he only met her one time and slept (figuratively)with her! Great American Values. Read her bio, her greatest achievement is big oil. What about urban issues of drugs, crime, homelessness, etc. Give me a break! She is not suited to McDonald's!

OBO8

August 31, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  9. Ok...

If a guy did this at work, he could be reported and punished.

August 31, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  10. Shari

The only thing "sexist" about this campaign is that McCain felt it necessary to pander to the democratic and undecided women voters who were behind Hillary, by nominating a woman. A woman that he met with 2 times, prior to asking her to stand next to him as the second most important and responsible official in our country.
    Apparently John McCain was hoping that voters and the media would take the bait and allow themselves to be distracted by petty issues, once again and it seems like he may be right with this whole "sexist" comment that, as a women, I didn't find offensive. He even said that he started feeling more unattractive standing next to a good looking guy like Obama everyday.
    A woman who is not in favor of women receiving equal pay? A woman who is not for a woman's right to choose? What true supporter of Hillary's policies would vote for her? Isn't that underestimating true Hillary supporters who believe in her for her policies instead of just her gender? Also, how many supporters of Hillary would want to see a woman with MUCH LESS EXPERIENCE than her, be the first to make history over Hillary who has worked so hard for that honor and can hopefully still acheive it in the future?
    Now I agree that Palin seems very admirable as a person but that does not make her ready to be our VP, let alone take over as our President in the event that something happens.
    I heard someone on a political show say this morning that Obama's camp has some nerve complaining about her lack of experience when Bill Clinton made it a big deal to say that some people said he lacked experience back in 1992, but that is NOT what the Dems are saying. They are saying that McCain's camp has been the one making a big deal out of Obama's lack of experience and now they have done what they have been really good at doing during this entire campaign, which is riding the "Double Talk Express" by selecting someone who, she herself, has said has no foreign affairs experience and even asked (I saw her saying this on video last night on TV) several months ago when talking about how she felt about being on the long list of VP candidates, "What does a VP do everyday? "

August 31, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. Observation

CNN amazes me. If you read the article, they have "good looking" in quotes and then have the quote off by it self from his other quotes; therefore we don't know the context in which it was said. Nevertheless, Biden needs to be careful and fashion his statements as if he was talking about a male opponnet. I'm female my self, but I did not know that women in the US where so insecure.

August 31, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  12. voter

As a woman, I don't understand how Biden's comment is sexist. How is complimenting a woman sexist? Palin even has a bumper sticker in her car saying she is the hottest woman. People need to stop being sensitive and not over analyze things. By the way, since it is being ignored because the media and the republicans love to avoid the issues, PALIN IS AGAINIST EQUAL PAY FOR WOMEN. Just because she is a woman does not mean she is for women's rights. Point taken aganist equal pay for women and a right to choose.

August 31, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  13. Dan

Doesn't everyone know that CNN and FoxNews are in bed with John McCain? CNN will scratch the bottom of the barrel. Biden will take her to school during the debate, then we'll see her ugly side!

August 31, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  14. M in Maryland

Wow. You guys (on both sides) are reading just a little too much into all this. .... I know its a slow political news day but geez... perhaps you need to go do something fun or good for your communities (non-political) for day or two.

August 31, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  15. s.b.

And the Dems think this man is more qualified to step in as POTUS than the Governor of Alaska? Right. The man is a fool.

August 31, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  16. James

She is good looking.....and that's about it. Both McCain and Palin will be ripped apart during the debates, as they are for everything that has brought this country down. Obama and Biden will be elected.

August 31, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  17. LeePee- FL

What else could he say to avoid sounding sexist? McCain was the one that said she was pretty! Don't you all listen. She may be able to run Alaska, so what? It's the size of Tampa.

It's okay for her to be Pro-Choice, be for home schooling but when it comes to sending people to war or sitting down with other foreign leaders, she does not have it. I am insulted for Romney and all those qualified Republicans.

Do you want some one who stated in June that she has no interest in the Iraqi war, except for her National guards who are there because she has a government to run. This news printed from her own State and widely broadcast on every news channel except Fox probably.

I have no gender issues with her; I have national and economic issues. Unfortunately, everyone can not go out and shoot a moose for dinner.

For all or you stating you were Hillary supporters, you too supported a woman because if you supported her for her beliefs you would be supporting Obama. No one asked you that are disappointed, just vote Democrat. You slap Hillary in the face when you do otherwise.

If this is all about gender, vote for Paris Hilton. She's cute, has money and knows how to work a crowd!

Get serious; this woman may be good for Alaska; is she good for America . The last time I looked, Alaska has always separated themselves from our issues. You neo-politicians, which one of your relatives will you sacrifice for this ticket? McCain is putting winning first, at what cost. He needs to take that country first sign down.

"No one knew this woman including McCain. Have you noticed all the rhetoric is the same–she runs her State,--Republicans will have a hard time trying to talk about her at the convention. Don't you think McCain is happy and sad about Gustav. He's off the hook some what on explaining who she is and now has time to get his notes together on .. All he can say is she's more qualified that Obama. She knows Russia is not the only foreign country. because it's right next door. .

Well she voted and approved that bridge to no where. You can't take that video back where she is agreeing with Stevens, but she's trying to get back in with McCain and say she didn't. Read the papers from AK.

She is against Roe-Wade. It's good she wanted to keep her baby. That's what choice is about. However, I can not wait for her to finishing pumping when that red phone rings for her to wake up McCain.

August 31, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  18. Michelle

Shame on Barack Obama to falsely state that Sarah Palin is not for equal pay for equal work!

The only clear position here is that Obama is not for Equal Leadership Opportunities for Women!

I'm one former Hillary supporter who is THRILLED that at least one candidate had the guts to put an intelligent, hard-working, dedicated woman of substance on the ticket.

I will vote for Sarah Palin (and yes, John McCain) in 2008.

I'll have to decide in 2012 whether to vote for Hillary or Sarah.

Michelle

P.S. I'm a Yale-educated successful attorney from California, so don't start your bashing that I don't know what I'm talking about. Women CAN indeed hold positions of power even when their children are still at home. I have 3 small children, and my courtroom record is incredibly good!

August 31, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  19. PUMA's for Obama

People need to learn how to realize when something is a joke. Clearly Biden was making fun of himself with his comment. "There's a big difference between the two of us – she's good looking."

Is it not true? She is a good looking woman, and Biden was cracking a joke that he was ugly. The woman was a beauty pageant runner up for petesake! What would you be saying if Biden said that he was the good looking one? Would that make things better or worse? "There's a big difference between the two of us – I'm good looking." Wow?

Come on people, Biden is all for Women's Rights. Look up the facts, people. Biden wants to help women get equal pay for equal work. Palin is all for stripping women of every right that they have and moving us back to the stone age.

People REALLY need to learn how to take a joke. It's sad to see people think this is sexist, and I bet every time the Obama or Biden mention that there's something wrong with Palin's policies, they'll be labeled sexist by Palin's spokeswoman.

August 31, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  20. Kodi

Since when is saying someone is gorgeous a sexist or mean thing? Probably when having a record number of people show up to a political rally on their own accord made someone egocentric. These statements are rediculous. If she is going to get offended when someone remarks on her looks, she shouldn't have gotten into politics after she was in beauty pagents.

August 31, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  21. Former Hillary supporter NOW for OBAMA/BIDEN 08

Your comment is Still awaiting moderation.... CNN Please Post....

Oh please… to all teh men and women who say this is sexist! Go buy a freaking drink and take a chill pill!! It was a JOKE and it was funny! I am a woman… and I cannot even try to make my self think it was offensive!

OBAMA/ BIDEN 08

August 31, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  22. Obama08:white, 60 yr old woman

How about actually vetting and interviewing Ms Palin CNN instead of merely repeating the Republican talking points. Perhaps start with Palin calling Hillary a whiner...or that she actively supported the bridge to nowhere until it was politically unpopular..

August 31, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  23. PrinceDLW

Simply Amazing. Let me guess, the owners of CNN are RNC faithfuls? Has anyone noticed that CNN has all but stopped coving the Democratic convention all together? Has anyone noticed that somehow this pick is getting my coverage than the obvious reconstruction of the Democratic base? A lot of people are asking, does McCain and the republicans actually think that the American public is this dumb......... Remember, Bush was elected twice and the vice president of our country right now answers heartfelt questions from the citizenry "So".

The republicans lost the election last Thursday night. Friday morning they deployed the bone that the public is intended to chase while they try to steal this election.

Wake up people!

August 31, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  24. James

Escuse me folks, but just about every well known republican has commented on Palin's looks including Rush HOT AIR Limbug who referred to her as a 'babe. Already, the idiocracy of McCain's selection is proving apparent. If the vice presidency was about good looks then I would say she is a good choice, but for someone who doesn't even know what a vp does goes to show McCain should have went with Paris Hilton.

August 31, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  25. Dan S

GOD the press will just take any two words and title a story with them like it's something were nothing is. ARRRRGGGGGGG!!!

August 31, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |