August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Copperfield

Tom said:
    palin should get 90% of the womens vote
    ----------------------------

Right, because women WANT to lose the majority of their rights.

The majority of women I've talked to loved the Palin idea at first, then they learned about her views and experience. She's a MAJOR step back in terms of women's rights, do your research.

August 31, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  2. Matt

Hey Democrats! Here's an idea:

Try talking about how great your candidate and his running mate are instead of relying on negative comments and attacks on the Republicans. Or could it be that Obama really has nothing to offer, and you're all in denial? For every insult you throw at McCain, there are two legitimate criticisms against Obama.

Gov. Palin may be younger than Obama, but at least she understands the importance and dignity of human life, a concept that Obama admits is above his pay grade.

Gov. Palin has proven in her short time as a governor that she is not a strict partisan politician. Like McCain, she has been labeled a ‘Maverick’- one who isn’t afraid to challenge the popular mindset of Republicans.

It is this kind of bi-partisan ideology that the United States needs. Obama accuses all other politicians of ‘divisive exchange’, but it is Mr. Obama that is divisive. He is the most liberal senator and presidential candidate that this country has ever seen. How can an individual who makes former President Bill Clinton look conservative unite the United States?

Senator Obama is the most arrogant, stuck up candidate this country has ever seen. He has the audacity to use a historic speech by a famed Republican, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., as a template for a DNC rally speech? Dr. King is rolling in his grave!

This man shouldn't even be allowed to run until he can actually produce an authenticated birth certificate.

Barack Hussein Obama has a terrible weakness for the limelight. He drew out the announcing of his VP candidate just to get more press coverage. He goes overseas for photo opportunities in front of historic landmarks used by past presidents, but skips visiting with troops to go work out at the gym.

Senator McCain, on the other hand, has humbled himself time and time again in the public's eye. He announced his running mate very quietly, in comparison to Obama, yet the Democrats hound him and make a huge deal out of it. He doesn't go searching for opportunities to make big public appearances, yet his popularity is soaring and he is gaining support.

John McCain served our country and was put through horrors of war that most people cannot begin to understand. When he was presented with freedom, McCain elected to stay behind with his brothers-in-arms. Who among us would do the same in his place? What has Mr. Obama done for this country as a citizen? What has Mr. Obama done as a senator since he took office?

Mr. McCain is a man of principle. His values are his own- they are not shaped by daily politics and trends.

Obama says he offers hope for America. Why should this country that has become a culture of death have to 'hope' for change when we CAN change it with McCain?

McCain/Palin 2008

August 31, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  3. Len

Gov. Palin was chosen to attract the social conservatives because of her stance on abortion, guns and anti gay rights. The same policies that Bush was elected on. Also, she supports Big Oil. Rush Limbaugh had a hand in this selection.
    She was also selected to attract Hillary supporters. Miscalculation, she does not represent Senator Clintons policies and her desire for health care, ending the war, womens rights, jobs in America, increases taxes for big oil, and others.
    The American people will not fall for this political pandering....I was a Clinton supporter and I will defintely vote for Obama!

Obama/Biden 2008!!!

August 31, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  4. Nora

McCain tells jokes about Janet Reno being Chelsea's father. McCain offers to enter his wife in a beauty pagent. The press doesn't mention it. Hillary's die-hard so-called feminist supporters don't care. Yet, Biden says something about Palin being attractive and this is a huge deal. Give me a break.

August 31, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  5. Cathy

Thanks "bo" and "Think Smart"....VERY INTERESTING!!!

As a side note...PALIN IS NO HILLARY CLINTON!!!

August 31, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  6. Miss Alaska Runner Up for Veep

It was a self-depracating remark. Very funny. I'm a woman and have no problems with the comment.

August 31, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  7. drahcir61

I think it's absurd that GOP strategists are claiming the Palin choice will sway female Hillary supporters to vote for the Republicans.

To suggest that women will vote on gender versus the issues is an INSULT.

Governor Palin is a far-right Republican conservative who is against a woman's right to choose, she is against gays, & she loves guns & the NRA. The McCain/Palin ticket offers more of the same Bush policies, cowering to the religious right at the expense of personal freedoms.

August 31, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  8. Lisa Graas

Once again, Biden sticks his foot in his mouth. I can't wait for the debate!

August 31, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  9. CoCo Joe

Biden is sexist. Obama is Marxist.
    Viva La Revolution!!

Seriously.... McCain.Palin 08

August 31, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  10. RJ

Like Hillary said, sexism is a live and well in the U.S.

In honor of Hillary:

McCain/Pallin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 31, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  11. Bonnie

I just CAN'T WAIT for the VP debate!!!!!!

Obama/Biden

August 31, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  12. cindy

Palin – The nightmare you didn't see coming. You know it, you feel it. That's why all the Dem panic and anger. She will take down all the big men and they won't even understand how it happened. Forget the hillary votes, she electrifies the conservative base. They will all come out to vote now. THAT is what you fear and for good reason.

McCain/Palin 08!

August 31, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  13. FL Democrat

I'm gonna say it again, since you didn't post.

This is sexist and stupid. The Dems are pushing us women voters even further to McCain & Palin. Keep up the good work, morons.

We watched it happen to Hillary...........trust me when I say- IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN. Watch your step folks...we'll turn this election upside down. Just wait and see

August 31, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  14. Dee

As a woman, I am more than content with Sarah Palin's stand on "women's issues." I cannot understand how anyone can say that all American women think and vote alike. It's demeaning. Regardless of whether one is Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, Communist, whatever, ALL WOMEN ARE DIFFERENT!

No one person speaks for me, but if there is a candidate who seems to share many of the values and beliefs I hold dear, I am content to support that candidate, no matter the gender or race. I will not support anyone based upon either gender or race. To do so would be the most sexist, racist statement I could ever make. I would also be a very stupid voter.

I am not stupid and should I vote for McCain/Palin, it would not be an indication that I would vote for a woman at any cost (I'm sorry, but I simply cannot force myself to use the same misspellings and grammatical errors I have seen in previous posts), nor would it be an indication that I do not support "women's issues." I am a strong, intelligent, independent woman, and I have every right to believe and vote as I choose.

I am more than tired of hearing and reading that if I am pro-life, I am anti-abortion, and I am a narrow-minded idiot. What if based my pro-life opinions on having experienced unabated abortion and decided that it was one of the worst tragedies to befall humankind? Would my opinion not be just as valid as the most avid pro-choice individual?

I am more than tired of hearing and reading that if I believe in any issue that is not considered "liberal," then I must be a right-wing crazy lunatic. I am none of those labels. My opinions and beliefs are based upon strong foundational tenets, and I am more than willing to defend them. But why should I?

I am extremely grateful to live in a nation where I can believe as I do. I embrace each American citizen's right to do the same. I do not wish to denigrate those who do not believe as I do. I do not wish to denigrate those who choose to cast a ballot which is different from mine. I thank God and millions of brave men, women and families throughout the history of this great nation who have sacrificed, and continue to do so.

I would only ask that those who disagree with me do so with knowledge and without belittling my well-founded and deeply held opinions.

August 31, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  15. Kay

Accomplishments: No one needs to tell you Palin's and Obama's accomplishements. They are both posted on their respective websites. He' austhored legislation, she has executive experience, etc etc ... so can the accomplishments. Read for yourself. Now as far as sexism....that is stupid. Biden poked fun at himself. So rather you vote Barack or McCain, do your research and stop with the stupidity. It is really unbecoming of intelligent Americans be you PUMA, Obama supporter, Mc supporter, etc ... go READ about them .. then decide

August 31, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  16. Ken, Virginia

Governor Palin is a breath of fresh air. It is interesting that MCCain selected a qualified woman to be his running mate. How did the Democrats let that happen? Check the Governors record compared to Senator Obama community organizing experience. I don't think you are going to locate "shady" dealings in her background.

August 31, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  17. me

pam....you boviously believe anything as well...anothe Obama lemming....
    I guess if Biden isn't sexist, then Hillary and Bill Clinton need to be given an apology from Obama for him calling them both racists......

"It's unfortunate that Biden chose those words...." Remember BO's remarks??????

The sexism continues. I guess it wasn't just aimed at Hillary, the Obama campaign has a problem with ALL intelligent experienced women.

August 31, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  18. An Independent female voter in Tucson, AZ

On several occasions, Sen. John McCain has joked that the two key responsibilities of a VP is to break tie votes in the Senate and “check on the President’s health everyday.” Given his propensity for beauty queens, recall his first wife Carol was a beauty queen/model and Cindy was a junior rodeo queen, he has selected a former “Miss Congeniality” for the nation’s number two spot—a good example of his decision-marking processes and an illustration of how he puts the “country first” given his age, bouts with melanoma, and the fact the current administration has us involved in two wars. No matter how “good-looking” Gov. Sarah Palin is, let’s hope she will at least grasp the functions of the office, she previously thought it “unproductive” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dwzk3g-lB0), before the upcoming VP debates with Sen. Joe Biden.

August 31, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  19. RJ

Is O-blah-blah ready handle it - if something should happen to Biden?

August 31, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  20. Charles Daeda

Hello:

If Biden colored his hair blond, then this might help him get back some of his prior youth. Palin will still look better however.

Charlie D of Atlanta, GA

August 31, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  21. Lauren

As if we didn't know that McCain picked Palin entirely for her gender. He meets her once, he makes sure that she fits in with his campaign, and he prays like hell that women will be dumb enough to vote for a woman because she's a woman and not because it's a good ticket.

I won't vote for Palin. I wouldn't vote for Condi or for Anne Coulter, even if they were running for president. I'd rather have a good president/VP than have a historic woman in the White House.

Hillary would have been great. But I'm not going to compromise WHY I was voting for her just to see a woman in VP (or President if McCain kicks it). I can't believe that other Hillary supporters don't see that McCain is making a lame, sexist bid for their vote. And that Palin is everything that Hillary wasn't . . . in a bad way!

August 31, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  22. ralph

How is saying that someone is good looking sexist?

August 31, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  23. No Way, No How, No George McCain!

I just saw an interview where McShame counts Palin's experience in the PTA as part of what makes her qualified to run the country if 72 year old McShame dies.

THE PTA!!!

August 31, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  24. c'mon people.

To all of you who don't think this is sexist:

It is. He didn't use it as a compliment. He used it as a way to cut her down.

He's her opponent. He should stick to the issues.

August 31, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  25. Susie for Obama

but it's ok for Barbara Walters' show to call Obama sexy – come on!!!!

August 31, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |