August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Michael

Apparently the only thing the Obama people on most of these blogs know is how to breath. And what they exhale is pretty foul. Obama is already dropping in the polls again and McCain did not even have to start his convention. Decent people always win in the end.

August 31, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  2. A.J.

I say...lets see her wear her tiara at the debate.

My fellow Republicans....you are just unbelievable....

This woman has set back the Republican party for another decade.

No, forget about man-made global warming, forget about aids...we don't need any condoms, forget about the population explosion..we don't need any birth control, forget that, if we have birth control, just may be abortions are lower, no, we don't need equal pay for women,
    we don't need a VP with any knowledge of poverty, knowledge that our info-structure is falling apart, and absolutely NO foreign security experience! Does she actually know where the Congress meets.
    And, she under investigation in her home state!

What the hell happened to the moderate Republicans...have the rest of you run to the hills? The ultra-right has truly taken over...and you DO NOT SPEAK FOR ME!

John McCain......you are out of touch with the mean stream part of your party. Shame on you!

August 31, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  3. Wendy Canada

Talk about sexism, take a look at Palin's comments, she is one of the "good old boys" siding with them over women all the time. She may be a female but doesn't stand up for the rights of women. Biden complimented her, so what?

August 31, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  4. me

It's funny that Palin can ALREADY spend a whole speech on her ACCOMPLISHMENTS.....I'm still waiting to hear Obama's.
    She's done more in 2 years in Alaska than the DO-NOTHING DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS.....

August 31, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  5. David

so uh...those calling it sexist...how many of you read the whole article??????

Biden was making fun of himself...saying he is not goodlooking and she is. he also said Obama was good looking, the audience member said Biden was goodlooking, Obama said Biden was goodlooking, does that make them all sexist toward each other???? Obama goes on to say shes an engaging, nice person. but not a good VP choice...that sexist too????

Yet The GOP can call her a babe and a princess...and avoid any critisizm at all...wow

August 31, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  6. J-Syxx

My respect for CNN has pretty much evaporated in these past several days with their creation of phony news to stir the pot thinking controversy will create ratings for them. It honestly makes me sick. They're "best political team" talking over every speaker at the DNC like self-important hacks was disgusting, as well.

August 31, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  7. Cathy

What a bunch of sexists. Instead of commenting on Palin's career they focus on her looks. When are men going to get it>

August 31, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  8. KEESA

i think mccain is a sad old man selecting this women to be his running mate when she have 5 kids an a baby thats 4month yrs old with down syndrom shame on you mccain or eithier you pick her for something else what you got up your sleeves mccain or what it is you hideing. im switching parties pandering a little bit to hard i like you just like you were in 2000 when you were a mavrick i dont no what you been drinking bush juice

August 31, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  9. David

Quote"August 31st, 2008 6:48 pm ET

Governor Palin is a breath of fresh air. It is interesting that MCCain selected a qualified woman to be his running mate. How did the Democrats let that happen? Check the Governors record compared to Senator Obama community organizing experience. I don't think you are going to locate "shady" dealings in her background"Quote

Um Ken...qualified? im gonna let that slide...

but her record...
    she supported Obamas energy plan...

not shady?
    currently being investigated for misuse of power in trying to get people fired for no reason...

August 31, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  10. Carrie

This ticker artlcle just proves what I have always suspected. Obama and Biden are all talk and no substance. Palin is more intelligent and has more integrity than both these guys put together.

August 31, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  11. Jen from Florida

A vote for Palin is a vote to kill polar bears. C'mon, fellow PUMAS, I'd rather leave the ballot blank than to vote for McCain/PALIN. Do whatever you feel you must, but try not to vote for them, even if you can't stomach voting Obama, whom I detest, but Palin truly scares me. She'll put back the causes we've fought for by decades. We can still punish Howard Dean and the Dem party by cutting off all donations. They'll never get another cent from me for anything after what they did to my candidate (HRC) and my state (FL)

August 31, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  12. Wow, Bobby Jindal

Did you guys see Bobby Jindal? This guy is a serious politician and should have been the VP pick. He is very presidential and is all over the Emergency response in LA. This guy should have been McCain's VP pick. The fact that he is doing everything that the officials did not do during Katrina is the best audition for a National post that I have ever seen. If McCain had picked him, he would have won in a cake walk! Does anybody else see my logic?

August 31, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  13. ALLAN USA

If She ready to be PRESIDENT? Obama is ready?? Come on people. 14 month senator and 17 month run for PRESIDENT. He is not ready to be CEO of company.

August 31, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  14. diogeron

Let me quote my 28 year old daughter:

"How stupid does McCain think we women who voted for Hillary are anyway? He picks a woman who stands for everything that Hillary most of her supporters oppose and then he thinks we will vote for her just because she's a woman? That's the most patronizing, insulting thing he could have done. Maybe some shallow men will vote for her because she is a beauty queen, but any woman with a brain will see this for what it is: a cheap political trick.

I would add that this pick proves that McCain puts politics above country, I don't care what his slogan says. Does anyone in their right mind think he picked her because he thought she would add value to solving the military and economic challenges facing this country? If so, send me an e-mail because I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

August 31, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  15. john

If at this point you still want to vote republic after Macain has indicated that, There is no good republican left in the senate you must be one of the 10% who is so scared of the 90% change Obama brings with him.
    As far as Biden comments, most of them in the government have hardly met this woman just like most of us except Alaskans. So her looks is all we know at this point can be true ( that is without plastics).
    CNN please stop making headlines of irrelevant issues. This is a crucial time in this country so please educate voters on the candidates and issues. Untill the convention most people hear about Obama raising taxes without knowing who will be affected by his taxes vs Macains'. You can help make this country better. thx.

August 31, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  16. Grateful Obama Supporter!

As a 43 year old women I'm insulted and outraged that McSame thinks that all he needed was to put a pair of boobs on his ticket to get the female vote! I will graduate from a 4 year college in May 2009 with bachelor degrees in Human Resource Management and Computer Information Systems sorry McSame I ain't that dumb! I'd rather have Joe Biden answering the phone at 3 AM than a "good looking" beauty pagent winner! I think Joe looks great myself!

Obama/Biden 08!

August 31, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  17. Daryl

Sen Biden went to the President Clinton Camp of Democratic leadership and it involves the patronizing and objectifing of women.

I cannot believe that the Democrats look so fondly on the Clinton years, he threw politics and women in politcs back about a decade with his adulterous ways, as a man if you cannot control your mouth or other parts of your anatomy then you really need to get out of politics because we are sick of it being a SOP for a political candidate or office holder to be a pig.

If you want the scandel ridden Clinton years back then be sure to vote Democrat, if your argument is Obama is different look at his running mate then realize you just falsified your McCain is Bush argument because apparently the man running does make the difference.

I remember when the liberal media tried to brand McCain as a womanizer while their party struggles now under the Edwards scandal. This is the party of no social values and no responsibility for their actions. That is not a party I want in charge of the country.

August 31, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  18. Chris @ ASU

Wow...are you people serious? Do any of the woman in this crowd who thinks that Biden's comment was "sexist" have any lives at all? As if any woman wouldn't feel good after such a compliment. Besides it was a compliment from one party to another and you republicans are trying to use that against him? Sounds kind of pathetic and desperate to me. Oh and thank you so much CNN for creating drama on something so non-issue (that's the really pathetic part).

August 31, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  19. Greg FL.

Let's not start accusing Biden of being sexist. It wasn't what he meant and everyone knows it. You want sexist? Lets talk about McCain calling his wife the c word and in front of reporters on top of that. It makes me believe he says worse behind closed doors. So lets put these things into perspective and not get all crazy over this comment.

August 31, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  20. Hillary Supporter

I was terribly sad when Hillary did not win the nomination. I was really undecided on who I was going to vote for. After listening to her speech and what she had to say , I am behind Barack Obama. If Hillary stands behind him, I trust her judgement. I am tired of all this nonsense. I have a family. I have children I have to think about. It really does not matter who is pretty or ugly or black or white or purple for all that matters is we get a candidate that will help our country get back on track. There is too much at stake here to worry over little things. Actually, I am a 40 year old female and I said the same thing when I saw her. She is really pretty. I am not sexist. It is an obervation. She is on tv. We all looked at her. How many people thought that? It boils down to the fact that if you really believed in Hillary -trust her judgement. She has spent more time with Barack Obama than you or I have. If she trusts that he will lead us then so do I.
    It is because of Hillary that I support Barack Obama. She swayed my vote.

August 31, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  21. jessic-fl

I didn't find this to be a sexist comment. They were just joking and paying her a compliment. I don't think Palin won't get far with her good looks and lack of experience.
    Obama/Biden 2008!

August 31, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  22. Cynthia

I've got the perfect postion for Palin – if Senator Stevens doesn't run again she would be perfect . The Vice Presidency is not a good position for her and Senator McCain is showing all of us what a risky President he would make.

August 31, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  23. Republicrats

This is news worthy? I still don't know anything about what either campaign wants to do. I mean I know Obama wants to change something and McCain doesn't want to leave Iraq. But besides that, it is all politics as usual. The same rehash from every election I can remember... Republicans are against abortion, Democrats are for it. The Democrats are for Gay Marriage, Republicans are against it. It doesn't matter who wins, nothing is going to change. Why bother? I had a good job through Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, and Bush Jr. I highly doubt either of these guys is going to make much of a difference. You want change, start voting Green, Libertarian, Reform, Independent, anything but the sos. We cannot keep doing the same thing and expect a different result! Quit being sheep for your party.

August 31, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  24. shtuey

Keep up the sexist attacks and watch the women flock to McCain/Palin. Oh wait, they already are. I really love how Obamaphiles are now so concerned about women's rights, when during the primaries they had no problem with his and media's sexist and misogynist attacks against Senator Clinton and her women supporters. None of you are fooling anyone with your faux concern.

Go back to genuflecting before your god and leave women's rights to those who actually care about them.

August 31, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  25. Hillary Supporter

August 30th, 2008 8:36 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I find it funny that McCain is trying to use Hillary to win this election. The republicans hate the Clintons. Remember when McCain laughed when asked by a supporter, how do we beat this b%$ch? This woman is no Hillary Clinton. I will not vote for her just because she is a woman. I can't stand my neighbor and she is a woman also. You have lost John.

August 31, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |