August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. mike

I saw that on the Obama website, which has all of his events streamed. I thought it was funny, Biden connects with the audience, very warm person. The crowds love him!!!
    These two are already connecting with voters, in those small setings, in a real humble way. Obama, also, looks like he feels more comfortable. I am telling you all, this ticket is already being underestimated by the media, but it is worth noting they are connecting, with small and big crowds. Definte chemistry there!

August 31, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  2. Unhappy Republican now for Obama

Unnecessarily provocative headline, shame on CNN!

August 31, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Child in Utero

How about my right to live?

August 31, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  4. Targirl

Typical MCP comment – and coming from someone who should know better. Let's try to say something more intelligent about your opponent.

August 31, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. NClaw441

I'd say Palin is pro-woman. Half of those NOT aborted (or more) grow up to be women...

August 31, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  6. Bobby tray

News, News News! Anything for real news! Am I the only one?

August 31, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  7. independentmind

great sense of humor, with truth. theses guys are good together. GOP is imploding, and i am going to enjoy watching that party disappearing into the history books. on a positive note for john mccain? he has judgement, just not good judgement. sad for a man who used to have a sharp wit.

August 31, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. Just Wondering

So let me get this straight:

It's OK to have an inexperienced Democratic presidential nominee, but not an inexperienced Republican vice-presidential nominee?

August 31, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. lol

sexism is still thriving over at the dnc, and obama's campaign. that comment brings back the memories of hillary being judged on what she wore. (like that mattered) obama messiah groupies, if roe v wade wasn't overturned during the bush/cheney error it never will be. senate has to vote on that, and it will never happen, so quit using your fear tactics! mccain/palin 08, hillary 2012!

August 31, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  10. JEE

Do they realize how condescending and sexist that sounds? Seriously... She's good looking??!!!???.....and a governor, and a mayor, and the Commissioner of an important committee in Alaska. Biden will come off like a condescending, sexist pig at the VP debates. Oh wait, he's already started.

August 31, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. t.baker

The great Blowhard Rush Limbaugh can exclaim to the glee of right wing nut jobs that 'we have a hotty on the ticket' and that's ok -- and somehow this is sexist?

August 31, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  12. San Diego, California

Sexism is alive and well. McCain/Palin 08.

August 31, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  13. Deb, Allentown, PA

It's amusing that none of the PUMA/McCain supporters and Republicans found anything remotely disturbing about McCain offering up Cindy for the Miss Buffalo Chip Contest, but Biden pays Palin a compliment and it's sexist and offensive?

Wow....just wow.

August 31, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  14. CC Reston VA

What is sexism here now? Is that why you republicans actually selected her for the vp job? If she can't take good remarks like Obama does when they say he is good looking then send her back to Alaska if they want her back.

August 31, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  15. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Now that was silly, Joe. I'm a supporter but there's enough substance here to challenge her on. Like equal pay, like her pro-life stand, like her anti-environmental views, like her lack of exposure to the issues facing Americans across this country, like her lack of foreign policy experience. It cracked me up when someone suggested that the fact that her son is going to Iraq is part of her foreign policy experience. That means we have a lot of people in this country with enough foreign policy experience to be president.

Or those that say she's a mother of five so that gives her management experience. Would a father of five also be given that credit for management experience?

August 31, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  16. Jin

If you needed any more evidence that Joe Biden, who was simply awful to Anita Hill when he chaired the Judicial Inquiry, is out of touch; then his comment should do it. Have you ever heard him say anything about his male counterparts like: Boy, he sure is good looking. Bye, bye, Biden

August 31, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  17. Stacey

Love how this is "news". Who gives a crap? Doesn't change the fact that she is a ridiculous insult to women. Throw "sexism" around all you want–bottom line is that JOHN MCCAIN is a sexist by USING women this way and it won't be long before everyone knows it.

August 31, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  18. JT

How about the fact that Palin was for the "bridge to nowhere" before she was against it. No way no how a MAVERICK! A political flip flopper.

August 31, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  19. lou

This is a story?? When the entire south east is about to be devastated...C'mon CNN I know a close race makes better ratings...But really? Is this where we are going now??

August 31, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  20. Realist

Go ahead and dissect every word that Biden says... he was being self-effacing.

I guess since McCain handed this election to Obama you'll have nothing better to do than fester over Biden calling an opponent good looking, nice person, etc.

August 31, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  21. me

Hey bo, I take it you'll believe anything? No wonder you support Obama.

If the Obama campaign or CNN go after Palin the way they did Hillary, they will be labeled sexist once and for all. Campbell Brown FREAKED out Friday night. Ridiculous.

August 31, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  22. t.baker

common sense
    "This guy (Senator Joe Biden) obviously has no respect for women."

Do some research and you'll see he's a champion for woman's rights!

Ignorance abounds in these parts ....... and I bet CNN will yet again not post a comment with truth in it!

August 31, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  23. Dill

I donot think that Mrs. Palin is experienced enough to be a heartbeat away fromt he leader of the free world. Is this the person that you believe would be able to guide our great ntion through, a terror attack, nuclear threats, global warming, Russian polices, China policies, dealing with Iran, the Iraq War, fair trade, fair treatment of USA workers and the economy, equal pay for women, immigration, education, the list goes on and on. If Mr. McCain loves the country, he knows he is 72 years old and he might have to step down so he is comfortable about handing the free world over to Mrs. Palin, that is FRIGHTENING to me, becaue even the most experienced leader has ahuge responsibility, I just don't think she is up to the job.

August 31, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  24. Moderate and Balanced

Already the sexist remarks begin!!! I doubt very seriously if she was a man that he'd be talking about how she looked! So Biden and Obama start making jokes about how she looks as serious voters want honest differences in policy (She is NOT against equal pay for equal work as they claim). This type of talk will backfire on Obama/Biden. Biden especially since he has a history of it.

August 31, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  25. MarioB. from Berlin

I do love the two of them. They are great.
    Hey guys, if you are angry about this great sense of humour...
    Why do you never shout if McCain tries to be funny and tries to give a portion of humour??? You find it okay.

This is okay as well. It's great. I love them and will enjoy them, being the Commander in chief and the VP vor the coming 8 years. :)

August 31, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |