August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Napoleon Complex

No need to worry about Ms. Palin. She'll be back home in Alaska for good in about 65 days.

Obama and Biden will win easily in November.

August 31, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. Spin This CNN

I love the comment. That's about all Palin has going for herself. At least half the soccer mom's and little league mom's in America have higher secondary education degrees and experience than Sarah Palin. They just choose to manage their family's and fight for all the things that Sarah Palin oppose!

August 31, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  3. kathleen

HERE WE GO...LET THE EGO GO AND THE O-METER BEGIN! LETS DEBATE

VOTE SARAH!

August 31, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  4. Ted

CNN can you post a story about what happened on Days of Our Lives since you've decided to not report on anything substantial?

VERY misleading headline.

August 31, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  5. ran

Obama/Biden is the only change ticket. I agree with Donna's comments. People you have got to open your eyes and ears this time around and go for HOPE and not fear.

Mrs. Palin is the Rep. VP pick. A person

Mr. Biden is the Dem. Pick. A person

People we need to stop using gender/race when talking about and yes even criticizing our candidates. The policies and issues are the key to getting this country back on the right track not ones gender or race.

August 31, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. me

Wow.....Hey bo, I take it you'll believe anything? No wonder you support Obama.

If the Obama campaign or CNN go after Palin the way they did Hillary, they will be labeled sexist once and for all. Campbell Brown FREAKED out Friday night. Ridiculous.

August 31, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Reese MD Independent

Joe Biden authored the Violence Against Women's Act. You people are so ridiculously uninformed it makes me sick. This is why we have sooooo many problems. The comment was self-depricating and to vote for McCain – the man who called your precious Hillary Clinton a "B" and said that Janet Reno was Chelse Clinton's father is the most idiotic thing in the world. Misogynistic is putting an unqualified women on the ticket to get your "Maverick" title back when you really wanted to chose your best friend who happened to be a liberal democrat. Do some research people, seriously.

August 31, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. changing times

This is a distraction. Let's get to the issues, like who's ready to lead

Barackobama.com already has ways to get connected to help Gustav potential victims

McCain website-nothing. As usual he's out of touch

Obama/Biden
    Ready to Lead!

August 31, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. T

OK, she's the one who came to fame by being in a BEAUTY PAGEANT. But if you say she's good looking, you're sexist?

Say what?

And then he said Obama's good looking. So he's sexist against men, too?

I guess we'll have to stick to talking about how she doesn't believe in evolution, global warming, or equal pay for equal work (now THAT'S sexist!).

August 31, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. Sam Rose

Biden has to be careful not to sound 'sexist' with comments on Palins obvious good looks-even when joking some women will take offense–
    ant that will turn off the Women for Obama-
    and possibly Hill-blazers-that will now vote for Obama since McCain chose someone who is the polar OPPOSITE of Hillary.

August 31, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. aware

Misogyny is a touchy place to go even lightly Joe!

Governor Palin will speak for herself, and you good old boys are in for a surprise! :)

She is a courageous reformer with proven accomplishments/actions to back her words!

Former democrat and Hillary supporter very happily for McCain/Palin 08! :)

August 31, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  12. Kristina

This is appalling. First with Hillary Clinton and now with Sarah Palin, every time a woman is involved, the entire game changes. Suddenly, it's ok for her looks, clothing and nicknames in high school to come up. This is only the cherry on top of what the Democratic party has already done to Hillary Clinton that has completely alienated me from my own party. Most former Democratic women I know, myself included, are now planning to vote Republican, based on the party's incredulous treatment of Clinton. Sarah Palin being the VP candidate only helps matters.

I'm also disgusted by the politicking that Obama has done to twist Mccain and now Palin's policies on equal pay for equal work. Not being in favor of the Equal Rights Amendment does not equate believing men and women should be paid differently.

August 31, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  13. lisa

calling obama and biden sexist is RIDICULOUS.
    BIDEN WROTE AND OBAMA SUPPORTED THE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT, WHICH MCSHAME OPPOSED. equal pay for equal work, a woman's right to choose...hello!
    MCSHAME IS SEXIST: cheated on his first wife to marry a young heiress who he later called a c*** in public and offered her in a wet tshirt contest- his political record is anti-women. He's using Palin as a shield against that...give me a break!
    Biden also said Obama was good looking, by the way...

How about some real news CNN, like Palin's flip flopping on the bridge to nowhere, on her relationships with BIG OIL, on her being investigated, on why she would hide her pregnancy from the public for so long, how SHE SAID SHE HAS NO INTEREST IN/UNDERSTANDING OF IRAQ, she didin't even know what a VP does...
    PLEASE SOME REAL REPORTING ON PALIN CNN !!

August 31, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  14. A lady in NJ

I have to agree very SEXIST!!!!! Sara is not opposed to women succeeding, or lesser pay for she would not be where she is at today. Obama/Biden better watch what they say or really screw up what little chance they have.

August 31, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  15. Gezellig

What's going to be their campaign slogan?

McCain, Pailin,
    and 8 years of prayin'

Obama/Biden 08

August 31, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  16. tom

Obama gets 90 % of black vote

palin should get 90% of the womens vote

fair is fair

Mccain/ palin 08

August 31, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  17. Linda K.

To Bo:

She's not acting like an airhead. She is an airhead.

I'm a woman, so is it still sexist if I criticize Palin, or must we all bow down to the beauty queen. I've known girls like her since I was in grade school. Please don't put one in the White House.

August 31, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  18. Kathy

I hope the people who say bad things about Obama and Biden understand that Palin is a anti-woman choice. I am a democrat who would have voted for Hillary or Obama (I live in IL) or both had they been on the same ticket. The women who would vote for Palin need to take a long hard look at this womans history. If God forbide McSame got elected and he died of CA we would be in big trouble!!!! This comment is form a college educated RN, ministers wife age 52. I will be praying we get our chance to change and not continue with this war and economy for the sake of my 7 children, spouses and 3 grandchildren A-Men

August 31, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  19. Ken, PA

According to Biden, Palin is good looking and Obama is articulate. I look forward to learning more of the wealthy white senator's observations.

August 31, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  20. Winston

At this point in time no matter what anyone says it will be taken wrong. This is not about men or women..or the color of their skin...or looks.;;or how many toes they have. It's about who will do the best job as the leader of our country. If you are voting for someone because of anything other than that, you are a fool.

August 31, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  21. Kristina

His reasoning for not supporting the Fair Pay Act also had nothing to do with not believing in equal pay, but only that the legislation itself was not the way to go about it because it would cause unnecessary litigation.

August 31, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  22. Dan

McCain/Palin is the best the Republicans can do? Heh!Heh!

Obama/Biden 08/12

August 31, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  23. Kim, CA.

I am a first time voter (D) I thought the possibility of Mccain being president would just be 'business as usual' but as a woman I am now scared. If Mccain is elected into office and something happens to him, she is suppose to lead this country? I am appauled, and I am afraid.

August 31, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  24. Brooke

Speaking of equal pay. McCain's female staff makes more, on average, than the male staff. Obama's female staff makes, on average, $6 000 less than the male staff. Again, McCain/Palin have been doing the things that Obama has only talked about.

August 31, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. Rob R

I suppose anti-Obama people will try to spin this as Biden being sexist – but the reality is he was poking fun at himself. He commented on Obama being good-looking too. Hillary is a force in politics and nobody can question her credentials to be President – even though I have always been an Obama supporter I cannot question Hillary's credentials. Palin is no Hillary and women who care about women's issues should be able see right through this. I agree that CNN is trying to stir up trouble here when there is not. It's sad. Biden really needs to challenge her in their debate and not hold back cause she's a woman. He needs to challenge her on the issues and I think he can do that without having to include any gender talk at all. The bottom line is this – this was a knee jerk reaction by McCain that shows more than ever a lack of judgement. God help us if he wins.

August 31, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |