August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Unhappy Republican now for Obama

Limbaugh called her a "babe". Pat Buchanan called her a "princess". All the talking heads think that Joe should lay off of her in the Veep Debates. These things are FAR MORE SEXIST than this comment.

My party has been driven over a cliff.

August 31, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. Vicki

I am a whole hearted Palin supporter. I was rooting for her before she was on anyone's radar screen, when I saw the DNC was going to dump Hillary. I think Biden was just making a mild joke on himself, no big deal. I didn't find it offensive. Actually, I'm proud of Gov. Palin's appearance. I think she shows that a woman can be attractive and accomplished. She's a firecracker, and biden better take her seriously or he'll regret it.

August 31, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  3. Give Me A Break!

People, Where's your sense of humor! That was not a misogynistic statement. Why don't you get concerend about ending the Iraq war, obtaining affordable healthcare, women having equal pay as men for the same job, and our jobs going overseas to China, Turkey & India!

August 31, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. Greg

Biden should not have said that...but it's not sexist. Obama/Biden will be better served to say nothing about her looks. As a side, I don't think she's that hot.

August 31, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  5. Foreign observer

Pay no attention to Lin. She is just the beautiful package paper that covers a dark Republican box.

August 31, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. Becky in Indiana

She was in a beauty pagent so obviously she's okay with it! IS this news???

August 31, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  7. chas alabama

CNN and FOX, smao samo

August 31, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  8. Fred- Philadelphia PA

Its so obvious that Mccain picked her only to get to HRC voters. Why else would she keep bringing up HRC. Even their own party booed their stupid and really obvious trick. He doesnt care about this country, he only cares about getting to the white house. If he truly cared about this country he wouldve picked a VP that would be ready to become commander in chief if anything was to happen to him (remember he's 71 and in poor health). EVERY woman in the US should be offended by this cheap gimmick he's trying to pull on female voters and HRC supporters. Mccain.. women aren't stupid and shame on you for trying to use one to get to the WH. As a citizen of this great nation i want to open peoples eyes and expose Mccain's selfishness and bad judgement so that America does not make the wrong decision this Nov. 4 like we did in 2000. Obama/Biden 08′ God bless you all, God bless America!

August 31, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  9. Old white lady for Obama

McCain's choice of Palin as his VP seemed just plain farcical at first, but now I have had time to learn something about her, it is also downright scary to think she could be just a heartbeat away from the Presidency. As for attracting Hillary's dejected supporters, I can't imagine any woman with an ounce of intelligence finding anything good about this ticket.
    As for all these charges of sexist remarks, for pete's sake let's all lighten up. Comic relief can be therapeutic.

August 31, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. Erik

Oh for crying out loud. Biden said "she and I are very different – she's goodlooking". Do you think he meant that little joke as "I'm not goodlooking" or as "She's goodlooking and thus not smart or qualified"? The latter doesn't make any sense in this context. Learn how to interpret playful remarks before getting all worked up over something supposedly sexist, people.

August 31, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. JamesDuck

Biden is a Neanderthal!

I am a democrat who is proudly voting for McCain!

August 31, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. minsa

Having Palin is an obvious attempt to get Clinton votes. How anyone could say that she is a good appointment is beyond me. She is obviously not qualified to be vice-president. There needs to be some minimum qualifications to be appointed as a candiate at this level. Some people say that she is a good choice because she is pro-life. I have news for you, ruling on that will be a very minor part of her job. McCain could just as well have appointed anyone off the stree.

August 31, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  13. BlackMan4Mac

She is not only hot, but she is my fellow Alaskan and we love her !!!

Don't get jelious girls, Hillary is hot too.

August 31, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  14. Sheryl in Virginia

I love these two guys – Barack and Joe. The intelligence and wit are so refreshing after 8 years of ineptitude and arrogance.

aware ... best of luck to you. Can't imagine that you were truly a Hillary supporter to be so suddenly swayed by McCain and his new beauty queen.

August 31, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. bern

Grow up folks and cut the bs. Palin is rather attractive and I suspect that played no small part in McCain's decision to pick her. Indeed, right or wrong, folks get hired and fired every day because of looks. That is a verifiable fact. The repugs have a track record of finding attractive women to do their bidding. I guess if you can't offer substance you try to offer form. On the issues Palin is a right wing nut and all the looks in the world will not change that.

That said, Biden did absolutely nothing wrong and this is certainly NOT MISOGYNY. Get real. There is way too much at stake.

Obama-Biden '08

August 31, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  16. Tamara

How can you be insulted by THIS article? These two guys have great comedic banter– they're REAL!

Besides, you wanna talk about sexist, and not taking a woman seriously: The Repugs brought that one one choosing "a babe on the ticket" who's not done a thing for women's rights and health issues, but instead is known as "Miss Congeniality" and a "Hockey Mom." - The nomination is the insult !!

The Nomination of Palin is The Insult to intelligent women across the world. I want a President & VP who I can respect: one who is actually more intelligent than me. It really shouldn't be THAT difficult!

August 31, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  17. Harmon

It was a shame to see McCain and the Republicans using a 4-month-old down syndrome baby on the campaign trail for political gains. In my opinion, I think that is child abuse. Mcshame on him.

August 31, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  18. Typical White Man

He said it not CNN, if a Republican said this about a Dem candidate the sexist label would be stamped to their head why should it not be the same for Biden. It is obviously a sexist remark.

August 31, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  19. Independent for McCain

Biden, playing the same ole' politics, he's walking on eggshells here, sucking up to Palin. Just wait until she shuts him down in the debate.
    Go get em Sarah!

McCain/Palin 08!

August 31, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  20. Victoria

Joe Biden said a nice thing that Sarah Palin is a nice looking women what is wrong with that? giving credit to whom credit is do. CNN stop trying to make something out of nothing!!!

August 31, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  21. David

I am originally from a small northern town and have set many Palin'esk people in the past and just have to say what the hell were you thinking McCain. She is isolated from the realities of mainland and especially urban America, the demographics of Alaska and socioeconomic and security concerns are far less diverse and much easier to get a handle on then the US as a whole. She was still in her honeymoon period as Governor and a small town mayor is far from impressive, and she has not been vetted by the American public or it would seem even by McCain himself. Don't let this extreme right wing nutjob get her finger on the bomb, frightening, frightening thought.

August 31, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  22. bob in LA

All the candidates are pretty- regardless of gender, age or color.
    They are all good, nice poeple? They all have loving families.
    Can we discuss issues now?

August 31, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. Christine Malloy

The Democrats have shot themselves in the foot again. Obama was so egotisical that he was afraid to pick a running mate who might get as much a following as him. Now he has just given the election to the Republicans. As much as I wanted to see the Democrats take the prize of the Presidency, Mc Cain has outsmarted Obama. He has rallied his base as well as some of the Hillary voters like myself. It would have been a slam dunk with Hillary. Now with Governor Palin he will be playing catch up and will finish last. Go Mc Cain & Palin. Yea to Hillary in 4 years!!!!

August 31, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  24. bk

The DNC did not comment on the all the sexist comments made about Hillary, because Dean and Pelosi wanted Obama to win. The RNC should call Obama, Biden, and the media out on comments like these. I don't care if your Rep. or Dem. Women have rights and this should not be allowed. Shame on Obama, Biden, and the media. She is smarter than Obama and Biden put together.

August 31, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  25. Jessica

If she were a man he wouldn't make such a comment. I wonder if NOW and other women's rights organization will take him to task for his sexist remark. Probably not, as they let Paul Begala get away with his "she probably learned her poise and oratory skills from her beauty queen days" remark.

August 31, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |