August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Foreign observer

In her fundamental beliefs Palin is comparable to Ahmadinejad from Iran. People of all kinds of fundamentalism make the world a dangerous place.

August 31, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  2. MAVARICK to a GELDING

Before we all get a knot in our knickers, please read what the Republicans said about Palin, both on national TV.

The Republican far right is now defending the selection of Palin as the VP nominee and stating how outraged they are about comments that Palin was selected because of her gender.

So, my question to the Republicans is this:

We have a mythical male who was born in Montana, was a high school basketball star, avid hunter via helicopter, becomes Homecoming King at the local high school, leverages this into a place on the city council and subsequently becomes mayor of this village of 9,000. Then becomes the governor of Montana for 18 months and is under investigation for abuse of power as governor. Would the VP nomination have been offered to him over all the other humans that were vetted for this position??? Didn’t think so, so stop pretending that the fact that this nominee has a set of ovaries did not go into the final decision. However, you are right she is not a token, she is a political pawn.

This just in and require changes to the scenerio, Pat Buchanan on MSNBC actually called her a “girl” while Newt Gringrich said her “beauty” was a qualification for VP on F@@k the News. So, let us change our mythical male to a “handsome boy”.

Guess it is due to the fact, that at 57 my estrogen levels must be increasing, because even I find those statements patently offensive, demeaning and condescending.

August 31, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  3. D Ianni

I cant understand how the GOP thinks that running a state GOV for 20 mnths like Alaska that has 650K people is "executive" experiance?
    My county alone in Florida has 950K people....and I would not hire our County Rep for VP of the US.
    This is scary and competely irresponsible of John McCain to put our country in harms way like this.
    She has very LITTLE record to speak of at all much less NO national security exposure. SHe didnt even know what a VP did a few months ago.
    You cant compare her to Obama who has spent 10 years in legislature and Senate not to mention a Harvard Law School grad.
    She was hired for being a women and pro-lifer. Just what we need to set us back on the enviormental and new green jobs – oil "drill now" is her moto and lets not forget about her bridge to no where which would still be under construction if the Feds agreed to fund it 100%, she only backed out because they took away some of the funding.
    I look forward to the Oct VP debate in St Louis as Joe will eat her alive.

August 31, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  4. desertique

when did calling a woman good looking become sexist.
    you mean a woman cannot be intelligent and good looking.
    the later would be the sexist outlook.

by the way obama and biden are both good looking.
    and both intelligent.

mccain, well not so much

August 31, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  5. Can someone answer this?

Rush Limbaugh, when he found out that Palin was selected, shouted on the radio for all the world to hear "we have a BABE on the ticket, there's a BABE on the ticket!!" So, don't go trying to make something out of Biden's light-hearted comment about ALL 4 CANDIDATES, himself included in that count!

August 31, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  6. Jon

So Biden makes a self-deprecating comment and you all take it as an insult to women?

I am extremely happy to see another woman on that ticket. What I want to see, however, is a country that is so equal that all women can be subject to the same politically based attacks that men are subject to, without the attacks resulting in absurd claims of sexism. It is an insult to think that Palin should somehow be insulted from the political firestorm due to her gender. To claim that she should only furthers the gender-divide that still exists in our society.

August 31, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  7. gigs

joe's comment was not sexist – get over yourselves. she is very attractive. what is sexist is when you people say that a woman looks cant even be mentioned. please

and by the way – joe i think you are good looking too!
    and much more experienced and qualified than sarah palin who has done nothing to advance women's issues- joe i am a survivor of domestic violence and am grateful that you raised this horrible crime to a national issue.
    now you need to fight for universal health care – it will give so many more victims the courage and security to stop the abuse in their lives when they have one less reason to be dependent on the abuser.
    all victims and survivors of domestic violence should be grateful to joe biden and vote for the obama/biden ticket if for no other reason that we need a person like joe in the white house.

August 31, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. Wake up America

Donna, Gv. Palin's VP nod is trivial and political pandering at its best, aimed at irrational (and thank god very rare) women who would vote for a women at any cost, even ones who are against any women issue of our time...

August 31, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  9. A sistha thinking about Palin....

I am so confused...Obama's claim to international life is that he lived abroad. His claim to leadership is that he was a community activist. Please go read her bio...now this woman is a Union member, has accomplished education reform..and actually has balanced a budget...

Now, her stands on choice and gay rights scares me...but experience...Obamanics BETTER NOT go there..because let's face it if Experienced mattered Hillary would be the nominee or at least Bill Richardson....

And yes...you can hate violence against women and be a sexist....

August 31, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. What is this?

Hey CNN.....Let me know the next time Obama scratches his nose please....

How about you investigate and report to us the fact that McSame is already using–and planning to use further–the impending repeat tragedy in NOLA and MISS to score cheap political points.

Giving his acceptance speech via satellite from the disaster area? Give me a break!! Get out of the way McSame and let the REAL American heroes do their jobs when the time comes!

You disgust me! I only feel pity for Palin that she got on a God awful warmongering/big oil pockets/Bush policies TRAIN WRECK of a ticket–she may have had a political future, but not after the GOP gets blown away in an electoral landslide

*****PRAYERS FOR THE GULF COAST****

August 31, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  11. Deborah from North Carolina

I can't wait for the VP debates! Joe will clean her clock!

August 31, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. popegw

The re-pubs will do anything to stay in office. McClain has not much life left and his running mate has just begun her life. She's a trophy for him, for sure, but not worth leading the greatest country on earth. Biden will eat her lunch, come debate time.

August 31, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  13. GARY

another example of bidens big mouth, i thought obama would lose on his own but biden is the one who will sink obama, barack you really blew it, being republican i was scared you would pick hilliary in which you would win easily, thank god you picked good old joe,he has been in politics longer than mccain, so much for change

August 31, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  14. Dems2008

I think the response to Palin' s spokesperson was BRILLIANT!! I think its absurd too...Biden is gorgeous!!!

Aware... this is NOT misogeny. Misogeny is not paying women equal pay for equal work!!!

August 31, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  15. tommy

I can't understand why is it that the GOP are saying just because she has a son going to Iraq that makes her qualified on foreign affairs, are they kidding me? I have two sons in Iraq right now should I round for office also ? because I guess I have that experience also

August 31, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  16. Evan Caster

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008!!!
    McCain and the unknown VP do not have a chance!!

EVC

August 31, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  17. Nick

Its a bit silly to characterize these comments as masoginistic. This is exactly what Bush/Cheney said about Edwards last time.
    Also, this woman is the antithesis of Hillary Clinton. I am a Hillary supporter, and there is no way I would consider voting for McCain/Palin. She is dangerously conservative and stuck in last century.

August 31, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  18. Max08

I think CNN goes out of their way to create controversy and all the haters of whichever party fall for it. Did those of you complaining actually read the comment. I am female and I did not take it as sexist. I can think of a lot of other things he could have said that would have clearly been sexist. He said there are differences between us beyond just our policy. I agree he should avoid comments like that because there are those who are waiting to make an issue out of anything they say.

August 31, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  19. Louise

Sarah Palin is mine, and many of my friends', new hero. I wonder if you'd be dissing her if she was put on the Obama ticket. she is a refreshing break from the normal washington politicians and is an inspiration to the younger generation and especially working mums. She is a known reformer with a huge approval rating becausee she actually does what she says she will do. I mean how many politicians have this label ?

Mccain made a genius decision with adding Sarah as his VP. We all love her and i bet she will keep getting votes brought over to the GOP ticket.

August 31, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  20. KenM

I have voted democrat my entire life which is longer than Obummer has been around....I didn't jump ship for Reagan or any other republicans....but the negativity 'n' the misogamist attitude of ObushAgain has turned me from the democrats....I will be voting for my first republican president in over forty years as well as my first republican governor.............

August 31, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  21. Pat

Come on people.........Biden was actually giving Palin a compliment! Is this how it's going to be? Quit analyzing every little thing that comes out of Biden/Obama's mouth just looking for ways to condemn. You should be far more concerned with looking into Paiin's credentials and asking yourself if this is really the person who could take care of this country as commander if something should happen to McCain......and we know that it's very possible that could happen in the next four years. This is serious stuff folks, not a beauty contest.

August 31, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  22. Joe

Face it people, the lefties love Obama regardless of his complete lack of leadership experience because he represents them and the righties love Palin regardless of her inexperience because she represents them. They really are no different from each other.....unqualified individuals being propped up by the extremists in their parties. More of the same for us level headed independents. I think I am going to puke when I enter the voting box this November!

August 31, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  23. g waara

I remember having this strange dream that a former small town sports commentator in Alaska who was once the mayor of a small bedroom community(Wasilla) first won the governship of Alaska and then became the nominee of the Republican party for Vice President based on three things identified as "important" by the Presidential team from McCain;

She is a woman
    A member of the NRA and
    Has visited the weekend warriors of the Alaska National Guard on more than one occasion. (This gives me a scare thinking about the "heart beat away...)

I awoke to the sadest form of vision and strategic thinking, for any party since the famous team of Fritz Mondale and the last token VP running mate. This is how shallow McCain is ...........and since he has only "power " left in his ambition (he already has wealth and fame) do not doubt the hypocrisy and the level of disdain he actually posseses within his heart for the "little guy".

Does anyone believe that NO ONE with more ability, experience or value could be found? Mitt Romney, Huckabee, Charlie Criss from Florida. No a governor of a state with less population in it, then Phoenix, Arizona!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone even half believes this is any choice this year, move to Oregon, shout right to quality of life and end it all – as you are now officially without brain power. Every one.............. pray that knuckle headed folks are home sick in November- seriously.

August 31, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  24. V

Oh please if they Republicans really find this offensive why have they been reminding us that she's a beauty pageant winner for the past 3 days?

C'mon get real.

August 31, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  25. Tiffany

Oh is this an issue that Joe can'nt say that Mccain's VP is good looking? PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK !!!!!!

August 31, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |