August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Paul, EP Tx

some people will vote for McCain simply because a woman is on the ticket, just like some people are voting for Obama simply because he's black.
    SOME people!
    you all know this, you don't have to like it, but you know it's true

August 31, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  2. Cryston J

Isn't it interesting that someone who is obviously unqualified to be President has to be treated like kid gloves simply because it's a woman.

Isn't it interesting that Obama can be attacked for being too black, not black enough, good-looking, good-looking but muslim, too intelligent(as if that is bad for POTUS), and many other adjectives, yet no one is crying foul. Palin must be able to take the heat because she is already in the kitchen(no pun intended).

If we people, women and men alike, think and do our research, we would discover that Palin is very good looking, fact. She is a former beauty queen, fact. She has beautiful kids, fact. She is warm and friendly, fact. And she is not qualified to be the President of the United States, FACT.

August 31, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  3. MikeNJ

Hey Joe, she's not only better looking than you but she's smarter.... I think everyone should take a look at her record...She's more qualified than any of the other 3 running.... she is the only one that has had to make executive decisions, she is the only one in charge of state military, she is the only one who had to come up with a budget.

August 31, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  4. Johnny Quest

Just funny how the Obama folks are attacking McCain and Palin about her experience, but a few months ago didnt like it when Obama was being attacked. Palin is a Gov, which according to what Americans have voted I believe is more experience than a senator. Most Gov, dont have foreign policy backgrounds. Bush: Gov of Texas, Clinton Gov of Ark, Reagan Gov of Cali, Carter Gov of GA. When is the last time a senator has become President, JKF.

Obama has spent his whole time in DC running for President. McCain has tried to do something for the past 20+ years, Palin has lead her state, Heck even Biden has done something.

I was/am a Clinton Supporter, and I will not vote Obama.
    I am a man, I am a grad student, I am gay, and I am only 26 years old.

August 31, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  5. Dems2008

This is one ofthose non issues Obama asked us not to focus on during his speech. When are the GOP going to talk about some issues, any issues? What a farce of a campaign.

I couln't look myself in the mirror is I ever voted for McCant and A-palin-ing!

August 31, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  6. M. Winners, Mesa, AZ

Biden's correct in his accessment of Palin – she IS very good looking.
    However she looks more like McCain's daughter-in-law than Veep material when you see the two of them together.
    Gotta love Palin's extensive foreign policy experience as expressed by the RNC – The fact that she's Gov. of a state that closest to Russia. Please excuse me whiloe I supress my gag reflex...

August 31, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  7. Both gorgeous!

Both Barack and Joe are gorgeous! When they smile they light up a stadium! Plus they are both brilliant..and both have brilliant wives..does that make me sexist.? Who cares!

August 31, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  8. Nan

This is news..Reaallly?? I think the Republicans pretending to be PUMA democrats are going to jump on anything to claim sexism. The headline was terrible. Anything said about Palin is going to be called sexism. You know if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. If you have to tip toe around everything you say to her and about her that is more sexist than this comment was. She is running for vp and will be subject to many comments. This is by the way the woman who called HRC a whiner.

August 31, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. Danel

These neocons will do anything to trap Barack and Joe. She is being use as a bait. Please don't fall for it.

August 31, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  10. Paul, EP Tx

just like anyone who does not vote for Obama is a called a racist, anyone who does not vote McCain/Palin is a sexist.
    cuts both ways, how ya' like them apples??????????

August 31, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. Gayle

This type of comment from Biden and Obama is exactly why Obama has alienated so many women. I am disgusted with their behavior.

August 31, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  12. Charles

regardless of how innocent the comment was, it was not a smart thing to say in a tight election. You can't give any ammo like that to the other side. But we knew what we were getting with Bidden and it was just a matter of time before something like this happened.

August 31, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  13. Jason in Juneau

It's refreshing to see some fun being had in the campaigns. I'm sure Palin is having a little fun with this. Trust me, up here in Alaska we think she's an absolute knock out. And yes she has been a good governor, although she hardly hangs out in the Capital City.

This may not have been the right time for her to rise in the party. It's a shame but she'll be battle tested for a potential 2012 run.

Biden is the kind of guy we need to be one step away from the office should anything happen. Go Obama/Biden.

August 31, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  14. Aneesh Kumar

It does not matter if Ms. Palin is good-looking and/or whether Mr. Biden is gorgeous. The question is: if the president is incapacitated, can the vice president take over? Ms. Palin, who was the mayor of a 7,000-person town until two years ago, is not prepared, by any stretch of the imagination. Given that Mr. McCain has made such a big deal of experience, this choice is an insult to the American people.

The McCain/Palin ticket is headed toward a spectacular defeat.

August 31, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  15. Nikki - NC

Here we go with the sexism card – i've come across pundits and bloggers and other politicians using the words "handsome' and 'good-looking' and "GQ' describing Obama and where are the cries of sexism?! BUT now when it's a woman the subject there's all of a sudden a loud siren of sexism! And if this is the case then Biden should also be cited for being sexist towards Obama – please change the title for this blog to "Biden: Palin and Obama good-looking".

August 31, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  16. Brian

I think the difference is that Biden was mocking, not joking about Palin. There *is* a difference.

And the fact that someone else may have said something sexist doesn't give Biden the right to follow suit. If this comes back to bite him, he deserves what he gets.

August 31, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  17. Zach

this is so stupid all of the people commenting that this is "sexist" or "patronizing" or "disrespectful" to women in ANY way. Biden didnt say, "she's stupid, but at least she looks good." he was joking that what separates him from her is her looks. in other words, he was making a joke at his own expense saying he is not good looking. everyone needs to grow up and stop crying over every little detail. Mccain's adviser was right, this is a nation of whiners.

Obama/Biden 08

August 31, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  18. Woman Physicist

We are trying to promote and emphasize the importance of science and engineering education to women in the US. And now we have a woman VP candidate who is a creationist. I wish to see a woman on a ticket, but NOT this woman.

August 31, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  19. Women please listen...

I have experienced racial and sexist treatment and comments from men and other women all my life so I KNOW what it is. Joe Biden's comment was NOT meant to be sexist at all. I am sure you would agree if you had heard Joe's and the way in which this was said (it is on Obama's website)

Please don't be fooled by these media outlets with their sensational headlines.

August 31, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  20. Patricia

CNN don't have the RNC to cover so they need to start something... I see no diffence between FOX and CNN.

I guess they will have to report real News now.

August 31, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  21. Perusing-through

WHEN WILL CNN AND THE NEWS MEDIA VET VP CANDIDATE SARAH PALIN?? THERE IS ONLY 2-MONTHS LEFT TO GET THE JOB DONE, SO GET CRACKING.

THE PUBLIC NEEDS THE INFORMATION TO MAKE AN INTELLIGENT VOTE?

August 31, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  22. lou

I love all you republicans ,saying your Democrats voting for Mccain...Give me a break. NO sane Democrat would ever vote for this senile,old war monger. Its not his age that makes him old. Its his thoughts and actions...We need leadership not some buxom cheerleader.

August 31, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  23. Oh Boy

I agree with one poster here – change the header of this article, or expand it a little to include more of Biden's self-deprecating comment.

We have a major storm coming and fueling the sexism really serves no purpose other than to start a fight especially when there's so many other news-worthy subjects to write about.

C'mon folks, let's stick to things that really matter to us, the American people. This election is supposed to be about us, our economy and our national safety...not about banter that will only serve to start a fight.

August 31, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  24. ozzievoodoo

Excuse me folks. As a red blooded american I don't see where whats her name is that good looking. Now give me JLo or Jennifer Anniston. Now them be good looking ladies.

August 31, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  25. Cecil

Look How Sensitive The GOP Supporters Are Acting.
    Remember Have A Since Of Humor!
    Remember That?