August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Flabbergasted

We've seen Senators with extraordinary amounts of experience become less than admirable Presidents...remember Lyndon Johnson...or Richard Nixon?

Senatorial experience does not equal executive excellence. Maybe that's why the last one to get elected happened 48 years ago.

If resume is the sole determining factor that qualifies a person for the Presidency, you would certainly discount a single-term Congressman who failed in other elections as not being the right person at all for the job...especially running against a distinguished member of the Senate.

Which means, of course, you would have voted for Stephen Douglas instead of Abraham Lincoln.

August 31, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  2. Donkey Party

Joe was just having some fun on the campaign trail, which is what McCain and the Republicans have been saying the Democrats needed throughout the McCain fear and smear campaign. What happened to your sense of humor now? Also, what kind of a spokewoman does Palin have that says Obama's comments about Palin were "a disgrace and an absurd accusation"? Palin supports McCain, who has voted repeatedly against equal pay for women. Ok, I get it, telling the truth would sound disgraceful and absurd to Republicans like her.

August 31, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. PA. Dem lady

how sexist!!!!!!!!!!!!! just like obama.. wounder if biden calls her "sweetie" like obama does.. this clinton supporter is sick and tired of sexism

August 31, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  4. Candia

she's anti-woman – anti-choice (including birth control and condoms), anti-equal pay, anti gay-rights, etc. pretty much, she's you're ordinary fundamentalist.

Not only an ordinary fundamentalist, but an extreme fundamentalist: She is also for creationism, and doesn't believe in global warming. She also doesn't believe woman should have the right to choose an abortion even in cases of incest, rape, and when their life is in danger.

August 31, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  5. gene

i can't believe people are really getting offended because Biden said she was attractive. I tell you.. what an insult! Some people are so uptight... they really can turn coal into a diamond if you know what I mean :).

Come on people... only a hard core feminist would be offended by someone calling a woman attractive.

August 31, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  6. AnnCT

I am struggling with what this article is trying to convey? Was there something sexist in the exchange? CNN I thought you were impartial?These are the types of stories the republicans would love to battle over. Remember "big elections about small things."

I want to hear about the issues

August 31, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  7. NC Resident

CNN=NATIONAL ENQUIRER!
    Hell the NATIONAL ENQUIRER does a better job than you!
    Get to the real news. You are becoming Showbiz Tonight!

August 31, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  8. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Moist of these people trashing Biden's comment on Palin being good looking probably only read the headline and not the actual article.

August 31, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  9. me

Ugh.....

The sexism continues. I guess it wasn't just aimed at Hillary, the Obama campaign has a problem with ALL intelligent experienced women.

August 31, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  10. One thing on Palin's resume!

Palin is the one who let everyone know she was a runner up in a beauty contest. Evidently, she's very proud of her looks, otherwise, why would that matter in her interview with McCain for the vp selection process? The sexism lies with Palin who thinks her looks will get her 50% of the way in this election, with the remaining 50% all smoke and mirrors!

August 31, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  11. Nija

She is not worth commenting on.

August 31, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  12. OBAMA BiDEN !!!!!

POLLS SHOW THAT .. OBAMA IS AHEAD OF MCSAME 49% TO 41% !!!!!!!! LOL THE FUNNY THING IS .. IS THAT THE POLLS DONT COUNT NEW VOTERS LIKE MYSELF AND THE POLL CAME OUT AFTER MCCAIN CHOSE PALIN !!!!! OBAMA ALL THE WAY BABY !!!!

IM GLAD THAT MOST REPUBLICANS ARE VOTING FOR BARACK OBAMA ...

August 31, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  13. Robert

Biden is a liar! Palin is not against equal pay. Biden, you are an idiot!

August 31, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  14. Steve - southern Illinois

Is it sexist if I say her voice sends chills up my spine? (Not the good kind.)

August 31, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  15. Republicans Hate America

McCains response to inexperience and celebrity was to select a 20 month term governor who participated in a beauty queen pageant.

Sorry McCain but her foreign policy experience shouldnot be based on how close Alaska is to Russia even though I am surprised you even knew where that is.

Her words she does not know what the VP is supposed to do and is not concerned with whats going on in IRAQ.

She was for the bridge to nowhere before she flip flopped that she was against it and that is where this ticket is going.

August 31, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  16. michelle

TO DONNA:

YOU SAY
    no, Senator Biden is not sexist. No, Senator Biden is not trivializing Ms. Palin's candidacy. No, Senator Biden is not being patronizing.

Hmmmmm. ME THINKS THE LADY DOTH PROTEST TOO MUCH !

I'm a Hillary supporter voting democratic in November. However, I was elated when Ms. Palin was nominated. I have no doubt Dems will put their foot in their mouths again and be sexist toward Ms. Palin. and this will help to highlight even more the hypocrisy of some Dems who feel they are the party of peace and social justice. Ultimately, I hope that this whole election experience serves to educate sexist morons on what is "being sexist."

August 31, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  17. Bill, MA.

The gender warriors are starting their nonsense again. We have more important issues to address.

August 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  18. me

Hey Deborah from NC.....have you seen her debate???????
    You may want to research her abilities before you speak......
    She's very good. Very good. And what's so funny.....you all give her NO credit for anything, think it was a horrible pick, so really all she has to do is hold her own against Biden and she wins the debate. Unfortunately for you and the BO supporters, she's going to do very well and that will be the talk of the day.....this woman from Alaska will put Biden on his heels.....guaranteed.

August 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  19. APB Denton, TX

McCain's choice of Palin for VP makes me seriously doubt his ability to make good decisions as President. I cannot support him.

Obama/Biden 08!

August 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  20. MAVARICK to a GELDING

Stay with here, how can a remark possibly be "sexist" if the same comment is made to both a man and a woman?

So, unless your in the middle of transgender surgery, you don't have a case.

August 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. Daniel So Cal

It's the message not the messenger when it comes to the Republicans that the Democrats are attacking. I like Palin as a person, but as a candidate, no.

August 31, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  22. Roland

Really, CNN? The best you can do is report on comments of how these candidates look physically? I am more interested in their fiscal attributes. Tell me how Palin can rack up $20 million in debt for her 7,000 citizen village in Alaska. That would be news and would help me decide if she was a fiscal conservative or like every other spend and borrow Republican.

August 31, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  23. Ex-Obama Supporter

Biden is already the least liked candidate. Sarah has already beat him by being better liked by people even when they don't know her. Now that's a blow, someone sayig "I like a stranger better than I like you, Biden".

Yeah, smart move calling her good-looking.

And so Obama didn't pick HIllary because..... oh that's right, cause his Obamabots didn't want Hillary in the ticket. Great move Obamabots! Obama is sure showing some backbone....

August 31, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  24. Colo Sprgs, CO

Feeling buyer's remorse, John? It's not too late to own up to your mistake and dump Sarah for Mitt. It takes a small man to admit a big mistake.

August 31, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  25. Democrats Up For Grabs !!!

" The Good 'ol Boys " Just Don't Get it !!!! .

August 31, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |