August 31st, 2008

Biden: Palin's good-looking

Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.
Biden and Obama campaigned in Ohio Sunday.

TOLEDO, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden says there are obvious differences between himself and fellow vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but they’re not just on policy. She’s good-looking.

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

“You are gorgeous!” a female supporter in the audience shouted out. Biden asked her to repeat it into the microphone so his wife at home would hear.

“I haven’t heard that in a long, long, long time,” Biden said as the audience laughed. “Being around this lean young-looking guy is making me feel pretty old, you know what I mean? I thought I was in pretty good shape until I hung out with this guy.”

At the rooftop rally, both Biden and Obama commented on Palin for the first time without prompting from reporters. Obama joked he’s now considering going to Palin’s home state of Alaska – the only state he says he hasn’t visited – but chose to focus his comments on her position on equal pay for women.

“John McCain’s new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person. But I’ve got to say, she’s opposed – like John McCain is – to equal pay for equal work. That doesn’t make much sense to me.”

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella called Obama's comments a disgrace and "an absurd accusation."

Obama later made sure his running mate realizes he's good-looking as well.

“You see, she thinks you’re gorgeous too Joe,” said Obama. “Jill goes back home and look what happens!”

“This is worth the run,” responded Biden.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. CHAD IN AVERY CA.

HOW DO YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELVES, EDITORS OF CNN.
    IT WAS AN OBVIOUS COMPLIMENT AND A JOKE ON HIMSELF.
    WAY TO STOKE THE FIRE OF IGNORANCE. SHAME

August 31, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. the Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Obama is anything but good looking
    I have a few adjectives, but I will withhold them for now. One thing his ego is big as the Moon. It's always about him. Immer ich, iich und ich.

He has no experience to be president. I have to admit Biden does but Biden is not on top of the ticket. And Biden won less than 1% of the vote in Iowa. i hope the good people in the mid west, west coast, east coast MI, Florida and Texas remember how Obama treated Hillary.

Lest we forget. Vote for McCain

August 31, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  3. Matt

Why does the media hold the Obama campaign under a greater degree of scrutiny t(as with Biden's comment here)than the McCain campaign ?

McCain and Palin are getting a free ride with the press.

August 31, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  4. Robert

Joe CONTINUES to step on his crank. No "Change" there.

August 31, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  5. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

NOW LISTEN BIDEN !!

YOU & ALL THE OTHER BIDENS ARE GORGEOUS.

August 31, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. RJ

Like Hillary said - sexism is alive and well in the U.S.!

August 31, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  7. Mister D

This may get me a lot of grief, but any woman who is an HONEST supporter of Hillary AND WHAT SHE STOOD FOR, is guilty of sexism if they vote for McCain because of Palin. She is against everything that Hillary stands for, and, IF THEY TRULY SUPPORTED HILLARY'S POSITIONS, they would be voting for Palin only because of her sex, hence SEXISM.

Of course, if you did not really supporter Hillary's stand on issues and only backed her because she was woman, you were being sexist as well.

Just wanted to drop that in.

August 31, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. caywen

Grow a skin, people. It was a self-deprecating joke that compliments the other candidate. It had nothing to do with gender. People commented how good-looking Romney was in the early debates, too.

August 31, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  9. Cecil

Very Poor Choice, Who Is She?

After 18 Month Many Of You GOPs Claim You Still Don't Know Who Sen. Obama Is.

And We Live In The Information Age!

Now Exactly Who Is This 44-year-old Palin, That's A Heart Beat Away From Being President!

August 31, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  10. Trang, Fremont, CA

Well, I think this is a pattern for Obama. Saying something positive about their opponent first before they go in the compare/contrast. W/ John McCain, it's his service to this country and they express appreciation, with Palin, this is all the positive they can come up w/ – her looks, because in principle, she agrees w/ the right wing extremists, which is scary. She already lied to us on day one regarding the Bridge to Nowhere. But Joe, please do not go there next time. You might think it's a compliment to them when you compliment their looks, but you probably offend them.

August 31, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  11. david goldman for OBAMA

ANY COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO VPS

IS AN UTTER INSULT TO SENATOR BIDEN.

August 31, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  12. Republican for Obama

I love Joe Biden, but he needs to tread the waters carefully. One of the reason why I think McCain selected Palin is to help garner sympathy and if Biden goes after Palin too hard, it may not play well on TV. Still, he most definitely should not hold back with regard to her obvious lack of domestic and foreign policy experience and her clear non-readiness to become President.

August 31, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  13. Andrew

You folks realize what he said wasn't sexist, right?

He's making a joke about himself being old and "ugly."

Get a grip, people.

August 31, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  14. connie

I am a woman who is good looking, and I am NEVER offended when someone else (man or woman) notices.

I AM offended by the fact that anyone (especially a woman) would be opposed to women receiving equal pay for equal work.

BTW, Obama is fine and so is Joe!

August 31, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. Woman on the fence just went Republican

Unbelievable.

I thought it would take Biden at least another week before this kind of blunder.

He is NOT who I want in office.

Neither is his side-kick.

McCain/Palin 08

August 31, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  16. California Gold

I enjoy the easy with which Obama and Biden engage their audience. They tap into the energy of the crowd and enjoy quips and banter as they ease through their speeches. They are living, breathing people. Not robots with canned dialogue. No harm intended.

August 31, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  17. Former Hillary supporter NOW for OBAMA/BIDEN 08

Oh please... to all teh men and women who say this is sexist! Go buy a freaking drink and take a chill pill!! It was a JOKE and it was funny! I am a woman... and I cannot even try to make my self think it was offensive!

OBAMA/ BIDEN 08

August 31, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  18. tuff Col. Oh

i don't think that palin woman is all that good looking, she looks like an average white woman to me and i am a woman, and why is it sexist for biden compliment a woman, we like being complimented, can't we talk anout something more news worthy, like how obama will win in a landslide thanks to this latest politcal karl rove scheme

August 31, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  19. Keep It Real!!

I was at work when McCain announced Palin as his VP choice. In describing her, my girlfriend said that Palin is very pretty. When I saw her, I said, "Yeah. She is." Frankly, I think that's one of the reasons why McCain picked her. She's brings visual appeal. If you're unaware of it, politicians factor in everything imaginable when creating the party's ticket including one's beauty, age, race, sex, etc. It's all part of strategizing.

Also, acknowledging how beautiful a woman is does not subtract from her intelligence. Just like acknowledging how handsome a man is does not subtract from his intelligence. Obama has frequently been described as being handsome. I believe that even Biden said it. This in know way discredits the fact that Obama was one of the most intelligent students at Harvard Law School.

Do you think the many times McCain has called Cindy beautiful is a problem? What about when McCain suggested that his wife might participate in a clearly misogynist, bikini contest? What about the fact that McCain's ex-wife, current wife, and VP were all beauty contestants? Not to mention the "equal pay for equal work" issue. So who is really sexist? McCain or Biden?

August 31, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. Cedric

I think this is funny. We need to refocus on the issues. The issues that matter to Americans. Jobs, health care, the mortage crisis, and lastly foreign policy. I want the focus to be on issues. I am a proud democrat that supports my canidate, and hope republicans can feel the same way about their canidate.

August 31, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. Carolyn from Texas

Biden will be nothing more than moose stew in the debate with Palin. Obama looks like deer in headlights. Your one term do nothing senator looks like a preschooler up next to her. I now see a lot of hope for the Republican ticket. By the way, my family voted Hillary in the primaries. We are looking forward to voting Palin.

August 31, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  22. Democrats Up For Grabs !!!

Deborah from North Carolina August 31st, 2008 5:52 pm ET
    Posts :
    I can't wait for the VP debates! Joe will clean her clock!

---------------------------–

Deborah , I Wonder If He'll Do Her Laundry Too !!!!!!

McCain / Palin 2008 & 2012 !!!!!

August 31, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. vicki

Unbelievable! What a shame that the left, (who accuses McCain of not supporting women's rights), can think of nothing more to do than attack this woman's looks, motherhood, and call her things like a "trophy". So much for the Democrats being the party of equality! What simple minded hypocrites.

Imagine the shoe on the other foot – what if the right were making comments such as these. They are simply unacceptable.

As far as their argument about her experience, I believe it is time for the Obama campaign to take a look in the mirror....

I'm so sorry that you are all jealous that it wasn't a woman on your ticket. Blame Obama and stop being so petty.

August 31, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  24. Loretta from California

Is whats her name ready to take over if something should happen to Senator McCain? Will someone please answer that question? Is she ready to be President?

August 31, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  25. Ok...

I like the way the left is trying to focus on every female aspect of Palin... she is a hockey mom, she is the head of the PTA, she is good looking... Is this an attempt to use sexism as a tool to make people not like her? Looks like it. How pathetic. She has accomplished more in her political career than all the other candidates combined- and she has been a politician for a short time period. Go figure.

August 31, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |