August 31st, 2008

Obama speaks with Chertoff

(CNN) – Barack Obama has spoken with Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff about Hurricane Gustav preparations, Obama advisor Robert Gibbs said Sunday.

He was briefed on the status of the storm, the evacuation process and coordination between federal, state and local authorities, Gibbs said.

1. Pete

Wherever the storm hits, expect to see Sarah Palin in wilderness gear "taking charge."

August 31, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  2. tellthetruth

I will be glad when this is over. Obama/Biden will win. But look at the mess they will have to clean up. Its going to take every senator/congressman to pay off all the loans, redeem our respect in the world and improve our economy. Bush blow it, now mccain will destroy because he has no change in place. And everybody know its the true. What bothers me is how politicians lie so easy with a straight face about palin. they are all going below for lying.

August 31, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  3. Stephy

Why are republicans mad because Obama spoke with homeland security? I want a president who is proactive and not reactive. This is an opportunity to learn what works and doesn't worker for the future. Don't hate because Obama is taking notes and McCain is not!

August 31, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  4. Mature Voter

Doris, I'm a Obama supporter. And I feel that comment was very tacky. I pray you just weren't thinking about what you were saying. I pray that everyone fairs well on the Gulf Coast.

August 31, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  5. Louisiana Resident

I saw on MSNBC how McCain may make his acceptance speech in the Hurricane zone. How dare he use our misfortune in La. to try and get more votes. This guy is beyond disgusting. While we are all preparing to be without lights or bare necessities in life and praying no one gets injured or God forbid die, McCain is plotting how he can draw attention to himself. I am offended as a La. resident, a Democrat, an American, but most of all as a human being.

August 31, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  6. Trasa, Texas

Telly, you can't read, he said white house, not white woman. You itching to bring in race.

Anyways to the point. Everybody handles things differently, it's how you handle it that will prove most effective. Obama is at this time doing his thing and McBush is doing theirs. We truly won't have a clue what they can do until one of them is President and when a situation of this nature arises. But since I'm an Obama fan, I feel confident that he is trying to get the heads up on the situation, and I can't believe I'm stating this, but so is McBush. I just feel Obama is more ready. I do find it an insult that he picked Palin McBush Jr on the bases that he kept stating experience is key and he goes and does this, but now I'm viewing it as a compliment and confirming that Obama is ready to lead. So thanks McBush for giving your blessings.

Obama/Biden

August 31, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  7. Trasa, Texas

Sorry, Telly your name was right near someone else's I was trying to address, didn't mean to make the error.

August 31, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  8. Jeff

What must it have felt like to speak to the "saviour of the world?" Did Obama do anything useful or just feed his ego?

August 31, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  9. Logic

Good move only if it is a pure motivation and not because of political gain. Somehow I am just doubtful of the Obama motivation in doing something good. Not because he is not good, but because he is too sneaky.

If he were purely good, he would have helped his step brother in Kenya long time ago when he just became a senator. But what had he done? Nothing.

If he were purely good, he would have fund raised for the victims when Katrina hit 3 years ago. But what had he done? Nothing.

If here were purely good, he would have been on ground zero to sympathize the family of the victims of 9/11. What had he done? Nothing...oops he might not even think about becoming a president yet, why the heck should I care about it...

August 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  10. Mercedes

Hillary Supporter: You got some nerve! The ones in the gutter are all those PUMAs who has betrayed the democratic party just because they are bitter for not having Hillary in the ticket. Let me tell you something, you are a bigot and don't even try denying it. How dare you insult us. All of those who have insulted Obama and said he has no experience should look at the republican ticekt. What a total waste of a ticket. I feel sorry for this country if they are elected.

By the way I will be sending my resume to see if maybe someone needs me in the ticket.

August 31, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  11. K of TX

Exactly what America needs!

A responsible, intelligent Commander in Chief who doesn't feel the need to PANDER to Big Media by changing around the campaign schedule for a photo-op!

Obama/Biden '08

August 31, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. Bruce

Another ploy to get votes. Pretty disgusting.

August 31, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  13. Tori, Oregon

To Hillary Supporter,

You know I take great offense to that. My Dad is a soldier and has so far been to Iraq twice. Please do not say I am from the gutter.

August 31, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  14. alvino

By staying away from the area, "O" proved to be more presidential than McCain. How much time and resources did McCain take away by his presence. Even Bush knew you should not be in the area, and he is not the brightest bulb on the Christmas Tree.

August 31, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  15. No Brain McCain/Empty Pantsuit Palin = A Reckless/Incompetent Combo

I hope he mentioned what a disaster the choice of Palin was and how that highlights John McCain's first abysmal domestic decision. The road to the White House doesn't go through the nursing home or the beauty pageant runway.

August 31, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  16. pcb

Dan J, you speak of "despicable" yet you tell someone to go to hell! What a despicable creature you are to put an ungodly curse on another human being because they have an opinion that is different from yours. Was it despicable when the Dobson's staffer prayed for rain during Obama acceptance speech. None of you should mock God, by saying things that is not of God.

August 31, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |