August 31st, 2008

Obama speaks with Chertoff

(CNN) – Barack Obama has spoken with Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff about Hurricane Gustav preparations, Obama advisor Robert Gibbs said Sunday.

He was briefed on the status of the storm, the evacuation process and coordination between federal, state and local authorities, Gibbs said.

1. Eve 51, NY

DONT BE FOOLED by false REPUBLICAN bloggers saying we clinton supporters arent insulted by McCains VP Pick…HELL WE ARE!!

My friends an I have been EXTREMELY INSULTED by McCains' vp choice!!

this is OUTRAGEOUS..He is OBVIOUSLY selecting Palin simply because of her anatomy, and expecting intelligent american women, including Hilary supporters, to vote for him because of this!! NO!! Hilary isnt just "any women"..John McCain!! we support her for WHAT SHE STANDS FOR!! And this Palin women stands for the complete OPPOSITE!!..

she has even voted against womens rights......!!!

Yesterday we set up a group in my neighbourhood, consisting of 57 women already, who have commited to voting for OBAMA because of McCains decision.. a desicion which shows that he REALLY IS OUT OF TOUCH with women in America!! There is only one safe choice for women (and America) this year.. OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

Eve Watson, New York

August 31, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  2. Telly

Allan,

They said "wrong kind of woman" ... not "wrong kind of WHITE woman" ... So why are you bringing up race ??? See how easy it is for people to show their true colors ...

August 31, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  3. akio

That is the worse thing McCain can do is go to the hurricane site. Not only is it stupid, but dangerous. He's taking away all the police, firefighters, and other rescue workers that could be helping and evacuating people from the storm, now they all have to cater to him and his band of lap dog media!

August 31, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  4. Sam, GA

A little levity (no disrespect meant)

My wife said McCain wants to go there to watch the surge

OK – I said it's a joke.

Hope all those people are safe. If Obama asks for money or feet on the ground, he can count on me – though I believe too many untrained people sometimes just get in the way. Money would be better to help provide shelter and food for the many I'm sure will be displaced.

Obama/Biden '08

August 31, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  5. McCainGoHome!!

To Allan Usa: And your point is?????

August 31, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  6. Tayo, NY

GOOD JOB! OBAMA

PLEASE TAKE CHARGE AND DON'T LET MCCAIN STILL THE SHOW.

HE IS ALREADY MAKING DEVISIVE STATEMENT:

REPUBLICAN HATS VERSUS AMERICAN HATS.

MESSAGE TO MCCAIN: WHEN IT COME TO NATURAL DISASTERS, THERE IS NO REPUBLICAN AMERICA OR DEMOCRATIC AMERICA; THERE IS ONLY ONE AMERICA.

August 31, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  7. Foreign Observer

Allan, if Obama was pursuing racist policies, he would most certainly be called "the wrong kind of black man" by people who would, in principle, be glad to see more diverse leadership. Palin's policies go against the interest of most women. It's that simple.

August 31, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  8. S. Boatman

Obama Is Trying To Help People. . . . Mccain Is Pandering For Votes! Nice Work Obama! . . . . Shame On You Mccain!

August 31, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  9. Faye in Tucson

Well, you Democrats once again are jumping the gun. Just think if the Mile High stadium with a Greek Temple had to cancel its program due to a natural disaster! Unlike Obama who is acting like he really has some authority and influence, other than being just a Junior Senator paying lip service. McCain knows the rules-since he isn't President yet, he can only authorize what happens at the Republican Convention. The President of the U. S. A., federal, state, and local authorities will give the orders regarding Gustav.

For those of you who don't know what McCain means when he says ...."it's time we take off our Republican Hats and put on our American Hats" means since it IS a Republican Convention, due to the seriousness of Gustav, the Republican Convention is going to cut the fun and gala events and do only what convention rules dictate (to establish a Party Platform and nominate a nominee for President and Vice-President) and maybe even turn it into a mega telethon for collecting funds for various charities helping Gustav victims.

And what a champion Michael Moore is suggesting "the Gods are with us in screwing up the Republican Convention." He doesn't consider the horrific consequences created by the trail of Gustav and its victims which shows you where his mind is as always....on HIS agenda.

You Democrats make me sick. Most of you have yours heads stuck where the sun doesn't shine and should be ashamed of your SMALL thinking.

August 31, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  10. RJ

Lucky Chernoff - to have an "audience" with the "Messiah"! I'm sure he's genuflecting before the O-blah-blah altar even as we blog.

August 31, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  11. Obama Supporter!

Obama and Biden did not go down into the middle of hurricane preparations because they "DID NOT" want to detrack public attention from the crisis at hand nor did they want to get in the way of "EMERGENCY PERSONNEL" who are helping to secure evacuated communities and helping the "PEOPLE" of the gulf states evacuate from "GUSTAV"!! Some of you "DO NOT" listen to the hurricane information being reported very closely. McSAme wants to look like "JOE HERO" and the last thing those people need is an idiot politician poking his nose into preparation activites with a beauty queen in a pant suit and heels tripping all over herself and NEWS CREWS following him everywhere he goes!!

August 31, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  12. thenewscoverage

Please don't forget that no matter what Obama does now, he is NOT the President (yet). We still have to hope that the Bush administration actually does their job this time.

August 31, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  13. mary

I see no reason for McCain to go to NOLA when there is an emergency evacuation. what is he trying to prove. emergency evacuation means no one enters or stay behind if you are not a part of the emergency team . if you do then you are adding to the situation,not helping it.

August 31, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  14. Cindy

I think it's awesome that Obama is getting his organization involved. Not by getting in the way, but by offering manpower, as needed by the people who are in charge.

During the Katrina crisis, organization and manpower was sadly lacking. Obama is thinking ahead.

August 31, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  15. independent now

HILARY CLINTON, OBAMA, BIDEN AND MCCAIN ALL ABOARD O FORCE1. MCCAIN SAYS IF I THROW THIS 100 DOLLAR BILL OUT THE WINDOW I WILL MAKE ONE PERSON DOWN THERE VERY HAPPY. BIDEN SAYS REALLY WELL IF I THROW 10 $10.00 BILLS OUT THE WINDOW I WILL MAKE 10 PEOPLE REALLY HAPPY. OBAMA SAYS IF I THROW 100 $1.00 BILLS OUT THE WINDOW I WILL MAKE 100 PEOPLE DOWN THERE EXTREMLY HAPPY. THEY ALL LOOK TO HILARY. HILARY SAYS IF I THROW ALL THREE OF YOU OFF THE PLANE THAN I MAKE 18MILLION PEOPLE REALLY REALLY HAPPY!

August 31, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  16. StevenNC

Great leadership by Obama. Why exactly is McCain in MS? Only to cause the extra tension of having a VIP in the Command Center. Even Bush has stayed away. Let the people work! Anyone knows its not easy to get things done when you have someone peering over you. Stay away McCain!

August 31, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  17. Are You For Real??

I've heard several Republicans try to argue that because Sarah Palin lived in Alaska NEAR Russia, that she knows what's going on with foreign relations. This is the most absurd and ridiculous notion/spin I've ever heard in my adult voting life!
    Therefore, I'm sooooo excited! I just realized I'M QUALIFIED to be Vice-President!! Here's my argument: I used to live in Florida, which is NEAR Cuba; I have children; I teach Economics; I am a woman under the age of 45. This apparently means that I have foreign policy experience (especially in dealing with communist governments), can deal with hurricanes and their aftermath, and have the ability to straighten out our economy. PUHLEEASE!! I just hope and pray that the American public will not accept this blatant attempt to pander to women. I'm insulted that certain individuals to the right believe we are that stupid. OBAMA/BIDEN 08′!!!

August 31, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  18. gary

BEA (TEXAS) GET A LIFE. PALIN HAS MORE EXPERIENCE IN ECONOMY THAN O.B. SHE WAS GOVENOR OF A STATE ,AND A MAQYOR. O.B. WAS A COMMUNITY ORGANIZER AND A JR. SENATOR. GIVE ME A BREAK. YOUR JUST A HATER LIKE THE REST OF YOU O.B. SUPPORTERS. YOU DONT BECOME A GOVENOR IF YOU DONT HAVE EXPERIECE. O.B. IS JUST A BUCH OF TALK. YOU SUPPORTERS THAT KEEP BRINGING HRC UP,YOU DIDN'T THINK OF IT WHEN YOU O.B. SUPPORTERS WERE TRASHING HER,FAMILY AND SUPPORTERS. O.B. DIDN'T WANT HER TO MAKE HISTORY ,JUST HIMSELF. HE IS SO HUNG UP ON HIMSELF AND ARROGANT .HE IS A BIG JOKE. YOU DEMS WORRY ABOUT YOUR OWN CANIDATE. I WAS FOR HRC ,BUT NOT FOR O.B. HE SHOWED HIS COLORS SWIFTBOATING HRC OUT. NOW HE IS GETTING FULL VOTES FROM FLA. AND MICH. WHAT A DIRTY PLAYER. HE PLAYED THE RACE CARD THROUGH THIS WHOLE RACE.HE IS KNOWN FOR CUT THROATING. YOU NAIVE PEOPLE KEEP BELIEVEING IN HIS B.S. ,LIKE HE CAN CHANGE WASHINGTON. MCCAIN IS REAL CHANGE.HE ISN'T BIAS AGAINST A WOMAN VP. O.B. PICKED BIDEN AND HE VOTED FOR IRAQ TOO. WHATS O.B. 'S EXCUSE FOR NOT PICKING HRC NOW. HE IS A JOKE. GO MCCAIN/PALIN

August 31, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  19. kj

Looks like McCain's web page actually does have a lot of information on how you can help in your state. Take a look at it.
    Why don't we stop this stupid bickering of politics for one week and think about the lives that are going to be affected this next week.
    Stop the political commercial slogan flinging and step back to take a look at the bigger, more important picture. I don't care what party you support, but how about we support these people who are in harms way, and help to make sure they are safe.

August 31, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  20. marie

The Republicans made this hurricane happen, when they prayed for it to rain on the DNC convention, now look what has happened it backfired on them and made the situation worst, goes to show you that GOD does not like ugly

August 31, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  21. April in Texas

I love how Obama is so on top of things and truely helping those in need rather than just words and cameos on TV as McCain is doing. At least Obama doesnt pander to the American people, he stands up for them..

Obama/Biden 08

August 31, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Bk, There are stupid peple and then there is you

August 31, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  23. mark costello

Perhaps Obama ought to direct his attentions to the South side of Chicago where the mortality rate is as high as soldiers in Iraq. His community efforts have resulted in more crime, more welfare dependence and a more hideous place to live. Welcome to the Obama nation.

August 31, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  24. Debby

Oh boy Obama talking to Chertoff lets all bow down to him. GMAB CNN. I know he is "YOUR GUY" but who gives a rats petudy. McCain is going there and using his convention to raise money no mention of that huh.

August 31, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  25. interesting

Obama, trying to stay in the news cycle huh?

PUMA 2008!