August 31st, 2008

Obama speaks with Chertoff

(CNN) – Barack Obama has spoken with Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff about Hurricane Gustav preparations, Obama advisor Robert Gibbs said Sunday.

He was briefed on the status of the storm, the evacuation process and coordination between federal, state and local authorities, Gibbs said.

1. Ruth de paris

As an American living and working in Europe since the last 12 years, I can tell you with great certainty that the Europeen community is voting on Barack Obama to restore the image of the Americain people and the U.S.A. as the home of the Free and the Brave...but sadly to say after the choice of McCain,s Barbie doll ( what,s her name from Alaska ) and after the shock of it all and the frightening looming nightmare and still hoping this is a bad joke on the dangerous World where we need serious players to confront the daily crisis of this Universe!!! They now know that McCain is No marverick but a Mad Mac Mickey Mouse living in Disney Land and loves to play with Barbie dolls...Watch out U.S.A. let,s get serious and elect Obama before we lose the rest of our Allied Countries!!!!!!!!! make the world happy !!!!!!! Obama for President 08

August 31, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  2. Vote for me

I know now that I am qualified to be the Vice President of the United States. Here are my qualifications. I am a woman. I graduated from college. I am good looking, I have six kids. I was a PTA president. I run my children to all sorts of organized sports. i have tons of friends, and I voted for Hillary. I have read the paper to keep informed on international politics and I know geography as well as any politician. Until I read about our current Vice President convincing us that we need a war to make his old company rich, I did not know what the Vice President job was. Therefore, I am so happy that I an qualified to be Vice President. I know that I can do a better job then the current one.

Republicans give me a call!

August 31, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  3. Tracey

Don't be fresh, be loving and nice!

August 31, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  4. Hillary Supporter

That previous supporter is NO Hillary supporter. That's another gimmick from John McCain's campiagn

They were too lazy to vet a new comer so John McGimmick meet her ONCE and heard she's a beauty queen so he hires her for the job, just like he did his second wife

He was too lazy to vet her so now we're finding out that baby belongs to her eldest daughter

He was too lazy to vet her so now we're finding out she made jokes about a cancer survivor

He was too lazy to vet her so now we're finding out she was in support of the bridge to no where before she was against it

He was too lazy to vet her so now we're finding out she was in FULL support of Obama in July 08

His brain didn't select her, his private parts did.

August 31, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  5. RJ

Obama is the WRONG kind of black man for president. There are better!

So it's McCain/Palin – GENUINE Americans (who love and don't "hate" America) - are you listening, Michelle Obama and Jeremiah Wright?

August 31, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  6. Feminist in Denver

This is not necessarily related but can we please call one policy position as it is? Palin is ANTI-CHOICE. She thinks the government ought to be able to deny a woman's right to choose what she does with her body. Perhaps if we actually did more for women, combat rape culture, offered excellent women's health for all women, actually discussed different means to safe sex, we wouldn't be having that conversation at all.

Anti-choice is what it ought to be called (it is anti-a woman's right to choose). Just because I am pro-choice does not mean I am anti-life.

August 31, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  7. PatriotPatrick

COME ON! SOMEBODY ANSWER ME... HOW CAN PALIN RUN FOR OFFICE WHILE UNDER INVESTIGATION??? WHAT IF SHE'S FOUND GUILTY? tHE RNC JUST SWEEPS THAT UNDER THE CARPET???

August 31, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  8. joe m

some of the people who've made comments here need to check their moral barometer. this is the time to put aside politics and come together as americans first. to view this through the lense of political gain is sick and sad. if some who've made comments here actually believe in a merciful god, then they need to be thankful because that god will forgive them for putting their desires first before those people who will probably face pain, loss, and trials. some of the comments here just demonstrate what happens when people choose to put ideaology before common sense. for dems who consider themselves decent americans who equally feel the pain of their fellow citizens, they should be ashamed of the behavior of some of their fellow dems.

August 31, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  9. Ken

McCain and Palin are in Mississippi at the request of the Mississippi Governor. Obama is out giving speeches. Get you facts straight before blogging crap.

August 31, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  10. Doris,Memphis,TN

Hillary Supporter, there is no room for the Obama supporters in the
    gutter, you have occupied it for 18 months.

August 31, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  11. WOW - Cedar Hill, TX

to all the obama/biden haters!!!! get over yourself and realize that Obama and Biden will be the ticket that is going to win......

Say what you will about Obama, but you know deep in your heart he is the right choice for the american citizens which includes you.....

When Obama is elected, i just bet you want turn down any of the things he will do for the american people........you will be the first one with your hand out......

August 31, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  12. Sarah

Folks, let's just pray that the people in Gustav's path are safe & that the levees hold. This isn't the time for nastiness. Maybe we can all come together for that at least. There's nothing good that can come from the Hurricane coming during the GOP convention or any time. Period. I'm sure both candidates are equally concerned about the well-being of the people in the Gulf. Obama/Biden 08.

August 31, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  13. ree

Can't believe you people. Who does Obama think he is? I don't need him telling me when to help and when to send money. He didn't care about the people of the gulf coast. He is too busy campaining. At least John and Cindy McCain went to see what was going on.

I quess all you people think Michael Moores comments were right. I don't think the people in Louisiana agree. You Dems are coming across so hateful and turning people away.

I think I agree with the Hillary supporter.

August 31, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  14. Mike, San Jose, CA

Dear Mr. McCain,

Please please please don't get in the way of people who are working. I don't support your politics but I understand that you are trying to help. I am glad that you are. It is commendable. Now be reasonable and BACK AWAY. There are FOUR STATES of people already there doing their job. What are you offering them that they can not do on their own?

Sincerely,
    Proud American

August 31, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  15. Carl from MI

If only someone was around to pay a visit to 'Heck-of-a-job Brownie' right before we all found out that he was in way over his head with hurricane Katrina, had NO clue what he was doing, and didn't have the decency to let anyone know about his incompetency until it was WAYYYYYYYY too late!!! Thank you, Dubya for your cronyism....

Thank GOD we have an intelligent person paying attention and ACTUALLY concerned that our Gov't is prepared to deal with a potential disaster. Hurray for Obama... SMART IT GOOD!!

This time last year Dubya was at his ranch in Crawford having his people make him a little DVD of the Katrina highlights because he was too busy to turn on the TV and find out what was going on the the country that he was supposed to be in charge of. How lame...

August 31, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  16. edex, FLORIDA VOTER

remember when the GOP prayed to GOD to send rain on OBAMA....well GOD answered their prayers a little bit late.

August 31, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  17. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

"HIllary Supporter" Yea right. I'm sure. Lets use that name to get the Obama supporters all riled up. Half of these blog posts come from posers trying to rile up the other side.

Good for Obama for keeping up on what's going on and not going down there to disrupt the real work that needs to happen (like McCain).

Good for Obama for offering up an army of volunteers rather than maybe having a service day in Minnesota (like McCain).

August 31, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  18. RML

Funny, I did not see one Republican blog denouncing the wishes of rain during Obama's speech but now that the Dems are suggesting maybe it's karma that's just mean...the double-standards are unbelievable!!!

August 31, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  19. Sandi from Michigan

No matter what Barack Obama and Michael Chertoff said to each other...I feel confident Chertoff got the impression that Obama is more concerned, more intelligent and more capable than Chertoff's current boss.

Change is having a leader who CARES and is SMART and CAPABLE!

Go Obama!

August 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  20. dave

Three things we don't need in the White House....Osama, Obama, and Chelsea Clinton's momma! Maybe, just maybe getting some new blood instead of the same old clique will refresh the political scene. As for Palin's qualifications, she has raised a family, guided a state, and stood up for what she believed.Is she perfect? No., But if McCain chooses his cabinet wisely (and he will) she will have all the help she needs.

Go McCain/Palin!

August 31, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  21. RICHARD

"WAY TO GO" OBAMA USE THE STORM TO YOUR BENEFIT. MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOUR CONCERNED TO GAIN VOTES. IS THAT WHAT YOU CALL "KICKING" THAM WHILE THERE DOWN. LETS SEE WHAT McCAIN WILL DO!!!!

August 31, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  22. annette

It was Mrs. McSame that said on one of the morning showes today, that Palin (schmalin) knows about foreign policy because she lives in Alaska and that is the closest to Russia, OMG the woman is deft.
    But folks, more scarry is the fact that Putin and ministers are saying, that Bush (McSame) actually planned the Georgia thing so mcSame could look presidental. I know, i know you are all going to pounce because it is Russia saying this. This was said in an interview today on CNN with this wonderful new honest man CNN has on at 1pm. Did anyone pick up on this (as I was thinking all the time)???? ofcouse not. But Bush and McSame should now be questioned by the senate about this fact.

August 31, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  23. Jeff

God help us all if Obama gets in. People already have his poster in their living rooms.......just like Kim Jong il in North Korea!

August 31, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  24. mary kirk

Who cares if NOhowNOwayNObama "confers"w/Chertoff ?Jan 08, the 3rd REP govenor since 1888,the newly elected Gov BobbyJindal , Louisiana inherited ALL the post-Katrina NON-recovery "hot mess" from departing fmrGov Blanco and current "holdovers" LtGov Landrieu and NOLA Mayor Nagin.NOLA's orderly Gustav evacuation is thanks to Bobby Jindal's FIRM and COOPERATIVE (aka being a non-partisan PUBLIC servant) planning and implementation. Now if we could begin to trace all that FEDERAL post Katrina recovery money that was sucked up (deduct box?)by both the city and state govts under the watchful and practiced eyes of Blanco,Landrieu and Nagin. McCain/Palin08! I want Lt Gen Russel Honore to replace Chertoff Jan 2009!

August 31, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  25. sandy

Joe Biden's humor is a blessing! Just goes to show he is like the rest of us. Lighten up people. I think Obama talking to Chertoff is good and I also think both candidates should stay away from the south and let FEMA do their job. I think it will be McCain who will grandstand and use this in a political way. Sad, but he will.

August 31, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |