September 1st, 2008

Actor Voight hits the convention floor

Voight is a longtime supporter of the GOP.
Voight is a longtime supporter of the GOP.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) – The Democratic convention may have been swarming with celebrities last week, but its Republican counterpart isn't entirely lacking.

A crowd of fawning delegates surrounded actor and longtime Republican Jon Voight as he made his way to a luxury box Monday evening, just after the convention-gaveled to order.

Voight, who stopped to sign several autographs and pose for photographs, told CNN he's supporting McCain because the Arizona senator is a "man of great strength, a man of compassion, and a man of good humor."

"He's got a very clear eye of what's going on, so when we've just heard this recent stuff with Russia, he was so clear in his response, and that's because he knows what he's doing."

Voight also expressed strong support for Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin, and predicted political opponents won't be able to draw any advantage the news her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant.

"In these situations, these domestic situations, I think people will try to make some political capital on it, but they are not going be able to," he said. "This is a nice family and they'll be taken care of, there will be a little marriage. But the strength of that family are undeniable and the qualifications of this woman are also undeniable."

The actor wrote a controversial Op-Ed in the Washington Times last month in which he accused Barack Obama of "falling short in every way" and "sowing socialist seeds in young people."

1. V

Who??

September 1, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  2. lou

September 1, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. Mary in CT

"Although Voight is far from a role model in fatherhood, or anything else for that matter, at least he's on the right side of this issue."

Only in the most literal sense...

September 1, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  4. John Smith

CNN may or may not realize it, but they are doing a good job of pissing off many people by censoring well-thought materials.

September 1, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  5. Paula

Hey, isn't this the guy who cheated on his wife and has alienated his daughter, angelina??

September 1, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  6. Julie

What? Gary Busey wasn't available?

September 1, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  7. L

So McCain has a clear eye on the issues. Russia and the US are on a Cold War Collision and he nominates a person, whose only connection to foreign affairs is that-in the words of McCain's wife-Russia is right next to Alaska, to be his second in command????

...Yeah he's clear alright. Real Clear.

September 1, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  8. marlies

... i guess they think "anythig that helps at this point" ...

September 1, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  9. longhairs for obama

why do all my posts disappear?

September 1, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  10. Anthony W.Holocker

I'm 45 and a father of 8. Obama say's we have to do something now so our children don't inherit a mess .He scares me with his views and I don't see the respect I was raised to have for my president in him . You cant bad mouth the leader of our country and hope to become the leader . I'm a simple man and I have simple ways but I think if there is no respect for our current president what message are you sending to our children .Where are the moral stand points .I don't pretend to have the answers but I know with out respect we have nothing .If the African American people are voting for him because of his race I think they are making a mistake.
    We should be proud of our heritage , but you have to look at the man and what he stands for ,and not his race or creed.. I would vote for a black man if he were good for my country ,But Obama is not McCain and Palin They have my vote . they have it because of what they stand for!!!
    Thank You .
    Anthony W.Holocker

September 1, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  11. Bulldog

This guy has always had something wrong with him. Now that I know he is a GOP activist that explains it.

September 1, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. Luis

Jon Voight is one of my favorite actors. In films like Deliverance, Coming Home and Midnight Cowboy, he gave outstanding performances. Though he had a harder time in the mid-1980's, he has, after his role in Coppala's Rainmaker, made a good comeback as a supporting character actor. In particular, his role in Coming Home has always touched me. Thus, Gary Busey this guy is not! He's an oscar winning American acting legend.

That being said, his politics stink. But that's OK. I think he's a great actor. Those who would diminish the achievements of this American icon just because of his lousy politics are misguided. A great actor is a great actor, regardless of politics (e.g., Charlton Heston on the far right, Jane Fonda on the far left and Marlon Brando, wherever that odd ball fit).

September 1, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  13. Bryan wilson

Julie, that was hilarious!!! Thanks for the laugh

September 1, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  14. Proud American

Joe Buck now I understand why your daughter wants nothing to do with you.

September 1, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  15. Proud American of African Descent

Another really old, really rich guy in McCain's corner....anything new in the news?

September 1, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  16. Proud American of Asian Descent

Curious why Proud American of African Descent is such a hater. I don't think we complained of the stupid actors who annoy everybody who express themselves on tv saying some stupid things for the democratic party especially the African Descent ones who only know Obama's policy is that he's the first African-American to be able to become president... ask any of those actors and they would say i like his policies but couldn't name one of them.

September 1, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  17. McWho?

what another rich old white guy who cheated on his wife?isn't that just redundant...i mean will he up stage McCain?

September 1, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  18. Texas Trail Kitty

No wonder Angelina can't stand him. I used to like him but not now.

September 1, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  19. Not laughing in Michigan

I'll say is has good humor-he picked Palin to be his running mate! Cindy McCain thinks Palin has foreign policy experience because Alaska is close to Russia. Seriously? I wish McCain a long life, but the stress of the presidency may in fact put Palin in the Commander-in-Chief roll, and I for one don't find any humor in that.

September 1, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  20. JB in Wayne, NJ

Who cares about what Midnight Cowboy has to say????

September 1, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  21. Ryan

Everyone speaks of McCains age being a big deal.
    Nobody looks at history.....
    Franklin Roosevelt was in a wheel chair with polio.
    Regan was diagnosed with Alzheimers his last two years in office.

So what if Palin's daughter is knocked up. Your beloved Barrack Obama comes from a woman that gave birth at 18 years old.

Atleast during McCain's speech on Friday and Saturday, he reffered to himself as future commander and chief. Where as Barrack during his Super Bowl Convention never mentioned the words commander and chief.

Obama is from Hawaii the last time I check. What is the difference with Palin being from Alaska. They are both the ugly step child of the United States.

September 1, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |