September 1st, 2008

Major Clinton supporter at GOP convention, backing McCain

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - A major Hillary Clinton supporter and donor who traveled with the New York senator during the primary season is attending the Republican convention, and said in an interview Monday he was endorsing John McCain.

"Well I'm here to go from supporting Hillary, who I campaigned with, I campaigned with her husband, her daughter, her whole family, brothers, and the mother, over a period of months, big Hillary supporter, pretty big fundraiser for her, I'm here to support John McCain for president," John Coale told Newsweek's Tammy Haddad.

He said he made his decision "because I think John McCain is basically what Obama says he is and what Obama is not. McCain brings people together, he has an incredible record of integrity."

Coale is married to Fox analyst ad former CNN host Greta Van Susteren.

In that interview, the Washington lawyer also said he told Hillary Clinton's brother Tony Rodham he should not meet with McCain surrogate Carly Fiorina last month – a headline-grabbing decision that Coale worried would be embarrassing to the New York senator.

1. Lynn

John joins a long list of Hillary supporters who just can't abide the self-ordained messiah. Kudos to him for following his conscience.

September 1, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  2. Linda31

Anytime someone like this surface, I am always amazed that they never talk about the issues Clinton advocates..............

September 1, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  3. Morningstar

Those who are with us are more than those who are against us!

September 1, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  4. rachel

I am not worried about it. I am sure if Obama asks Hillary will be out on the stomp again for him she has already gone to NM, Cali, Nevada etc stomping for Obama. Just like Obama cant make his supporters help retire clinton's debt, hillary cant make her contributers support Obama. Shehas done what she can do.

September 1, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  5. darlene

If McCain/Palin wins the election, Palin will run for President in 2012. This will pose a problem for Hillary because Palin will have the VP experience that Hillary doesn't have. And don't forget that it could possibly be the Hillary supporters, who want so badly to have a woman in the White House as VP or President who are voting out of emotion instead of issues, to give Palin that experience VP experience edge over Hillary therefore dimishing Hillary's chance in 2012.

September 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  6. Robby

It sounds to me like a man who respects his own right to vote. I will not let any party influence a decision that is ultimately mine. I registered as a democrat long ago because the party supports most, but not all, of my beliefs. However, I owe nothing to the party. I will vote my conscience and if it leans more towards experience and less towards idealism, I will not apologize for that. Sounds like he won't either.

September 1, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  7. Lisa from VA

Who cares? I'm a republican supporting Obama....but at least i'm not doing it because i'm a whiney sore loser.

These people waiting for Hillary to run in 2012 crack me up. Don't they realize if John McCain wins, Sarah Palin will mop the floor with Hillary in 2012?

September 1, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  8. Rodham Democrat

One fundraiser doesn't speak for the rest of the big Hillary lovers who are listening to what SHE wants us to do.... vote Democrat and NOT for a Republican because Republicans made Hillary's life miserable in the '90s and dishonestly slandered her during the primaries this year

September 1, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  9. outsider

Boy, that´s a change... yes McCains and Hillary´s proposal are almost identical ! Personal political accomodation? perhaps??

September 1, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  10. Independentgirl-MS

Hey, he should vote for who he wants to vote for. That's his right; no story here. Next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 1, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  11. Leslie

Hey CNN, how about an article about all the republicans that have moved to vote for Obama? Have you heard of them? They are called "Republicans for Obama". I'm sure you could find a few to interview for your so called "unbiased" news!! I am so sick of the "so called" defection to McCain. This guy's wife is a major commentator on FOX. Who are you trying to kid??

September 1, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  12. rory ryan

who cares?

September 1, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  13. Ryan

LOL MCCAINS RUNNING MATE DOESN'T BELIEVE IN GLOBAL WARMING, WANTS TO TEACH CREATIONISM IN SCHOOL, AND DOESN'T BELIEVE IN PRO CHOICE, EVEN IN THE CASE OF RAPE.

A Republican ticket would be going behind in a rapidly changing word, in my opinion.

September 1, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |