September 1st, 2008

McCain communications team sent to Alaska

(CNN) – A senior adviser to John McCain's campaign confirms that they have dispatched a team of 12 people to presumptive VP nominee Sarah Palin's home state of Alaska.

The adviser insists the group is a communications "jump" team that would have gone to any nominee's hometown, and denies reports that the team is now going to further vet Palin.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Nick

ha WOW, Thought you were supposed to a background check BEFORE picking your VP. I guess a 15 minute meet and greet doesn't quite cover everything. And Paulin accepts the nomination knowing her pregnant daugter will have to endur intense national attention. McCain / Paulin: Reckless

September 1, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  2. Rich G

Oh yeah, now's the time to vet her.

September 1, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  3. Have to post Anonymously now

"Further vet"? Oh, brother. The horse is out of that barn.

September 1, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  4. David Smith Richmond, VA

IceGate! Hmmmm I wonder why they are sending so many people up there.... Looks like the Republicans are going to try and strong arm their way through this investigation.

September 1, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  5. Matt

And these are the people that are wanting the American people to give them FOUR more years. Laughable !

September 1, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  6. Cathleen Elliott

What kind of woman goes back to work 3 days after having a baby. What about mother-child bonding. Why does a 43 yr. old woman with 4 healthy children have a baby if you doesn't spend time with it. With a daughter pregnant and a new baby how does she even have a hour a day to campaign? I know teenagers screw up but how do we know that her daughter and the young really want to marry. Who is Sarah Palin putting first-her family or herself?

September 1, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  7. HiFi

Too late! The mainstream media and blogs already vetted her. So much for her "maverick" personna...and I'm getting sick of the word "maverick" anyway. GOP = Get Out Palin.

North to Alaska–we're going north, the rush is on!

September 1, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  8. No Hillary = No Obama

Just how sticky is this "troopergate" thing going to be – that' the question. No matter to me, it's a write-in for Hillary Clinton who SHOULD have been the next President.

September 1, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  9. Sherry, Atlanta

A little too late! Should have had better JUDGEMENT!

September 1, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  10. Joe

I get the feeling communcations is the exact opposite of what this "jump" has in mind. These plumbers are going north, to Alaska, to try and stop the trickle of bad news, and to find out exactly what they have stepped in.

September 1, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  11. Get Real

HERE COMES THE GOP COVER-UP TEAM....IF THEY VETTED PALIN AND THESE ISSUES DO NOT IMPACT HER SELECTION...WHY DO THEY HAVE TO GO TO ALASKA???

THEY ARE WANTING TO COVER-UP, SHRED DOCUMENTS, STRONG ARM AND MANIPULATE THE SMALL TOWN FOLKS IN ALASKA.

SARAH PALIN IS NOT QUALIFIED FOR VP......

September 1, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  12. Mila

Typical McCain.

Ready ... fire ... aim!

September 1, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  13. mel from Ohio

Gives new meaning to the saying "a day late and a dollar short".

September 1, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  14. Kaye- Jacksonville FL

Holy Cow Batman....we've got to get this situation under control. Jump in the batmobile and let's get up to Alaska NOW. LMAO....all the way to the election.....

September 1, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  15. Melinda-Watching for Unconscious Sexism

I was just watching James Carville on CNN. He is going on and on about how Sarah Palin is unqualified for VP. The usual stuff, but he throws in that if McCain wanted to choose a woman, he could have just picked Senator Olympia Snowe (R-ME) It is astonishing to me that the liberal media and many of these commentators are so misogynistic. They do not even see it. Let me break it down. Mr. Carville's statement implies that Senator McCain took all the female Republicans, told them to line up, and said eenie meenie minie moe. Oh, there's Sarah Palin, she's hot. WRONG. How about this, people? John McCain thought to himself, who do I like? Who would I like to have down the hall from me for four years? Who shares my values? Who has bucked their own party and exhibited courage to their covictions? He then chose who he felt was the right person. Notice that I did not mention gender once in McCain's internal rusings. McCain, my friend, is not the sexist. You, sirs and madams, are.

September 1, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  16. Kathy

I am not understanding McCain's pick.

Did he do it to try to get us to get on board with him because of Hillary Clinton? Even though he was against women's sufferage?

Did he do it to take the historical spotlight away from the Democrats?

He didnt make the choice out of who was the most qualified as he said he would..

So I am having a hard time seeing McCain's judgement and having a hard time believing he means what he says..

September 1, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  17. justobserve

Republicans' team are now spinning Palin's experience but can anyone compare the executive experience of a CEO of a 607- employee company with a manager of a 67 -person company? Obviously Governor of a 670,000 resident state is different from governor of a 6,070,000 resident state especially when the governor of the former is to be a VP of a nation of 301 million citizen and she could replace the president in short notice. It's a legitimate question but if anyone dares ask, he will be accused of sexism!

September 1, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  18. kel atlanta

And if you believe that this is just a normal visit that they would do to anyone, maybe I can sell you that bridge to no-where. A little late with the background search. I am certain that she is a good person, but it looks like her family needs her now more than her country. Why would she put them all through this?

September 1, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  19. Sandi

I am with you Nick!!

September 1, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  20. obama 08-12

I smell trouble on the red corner...

September 1, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  21. Ann

I've been elightened!!! I get it now!

Michelle Bachmann just explained to the world (and me) how Sarah Palin is qualified to be the VP/potential POTUS::

She sold the Alaska state plane on Ebay.

Wow, that really changes my opinion of her and McBush.

September 1, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  22. Barb

Leave it to team McCain to vet their new "Star" after launching her last Friday!

September 1, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  23. Ron, NYC

This is an insight into how MCCain makes decisions. He has shown poor judgment in picking his running mate. Met her once and is now sending his "team" to Alaska to vet his pick after the fact.

September 1, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  24. McWar & Co. stinks!

Too bad McWar didn't of this in the beginning.!!!!!
    STUPID!!!!!!

September 1, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  25. Michael Pensacola, FL

Communications team . . . doesn't that mean a Washington DC cleanup and bury the truth team!

September 1, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |