September 1st, 2008

McCain communications team sent to Alaska

(CNN) – A senior adviser to John McCain's campaign confirms that they have dispatched a team of 12 people to presumptive VP nominee Sarah Palin's home state of Alaska.

The adviser insists the group is a communications "jump" team that would have gone to any nominee's hometown, and denies reports that the team is now going to further vet Palin.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. LBlanken

The nominatin of Palin for VP opens the door for many mayors in the country. If being a mayor of a small town gives you enough experience to be VP than everyone's aspirations just got bigger. A guest on Larry King just said that Palin wouldn't want to be compared to Hillary Clinton and least Palin has accomplished something. Excuse me lady , I don't know where you have been, even if you don't like Hillary I don't think you can honestly say that Palin's experience even compares to Hillary's. Come on now. If I was Hillary I'd be so pissed I'd campaign for Obama day and night. McCain's choice has made a laughing stock out of American politics.

September 1, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  2. Busy Mom

Oh, good idea. Let's finally vet this woman. Frankly, she's scary. The psyche of every teenager I know is extremely delicate. I finally worked through the teenage pain with my son and none of it was easy and all of it happened between me and him, his high school counselor and, for a short time, a psychologist who was truly skilled in dealing with teenagers and their parents. I would never have put him in a position where he was the subject of a national media frenzy – and he certainly wasn't pregnant. I am here to attest to more than the delicacy of the pregnant teenager's life. I would think that Sarah Palinwould be looking at her entire family and trying to figure out what she needs to do to step up and take care of these people. She has an infant who will require extraordinary love and attention. She has a teenager who has stepped out of bounds. She has three other children who are trying to figure out what's going on – I can't even understand what kind of a monster picks NOW to say, Okay, yeah, let's join the Republican ticket and run for VP. She's a creep, and I mean that in the deepest, most malevolent sense of the word. She's a member of the It's All About Me Club – the creepiest club of all. Watch this family melt, right before your eyes. And kudos to John McCain, who knowing all this, said, I want you! We'll be following this/her story for years. She should be ashamed – and we don't even know if this is the end of it.

September 1, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  3. Marc

Wow, is that the guy you want making the big decisions in Washington ? Can't even vet a mother from Alaska ?

September 1, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  4. Jan O'Donnell

Watch, this was all part of the plan! She will drop out AFTER the convention and then McCain will fool "social conservatives" by putting either Ridge or Leiberman on the ticket without their "approval"......or is this whole thing just proof that McCain will surround himself with unqualified staff -like Bush and the WMD's of Iraq??? Wake up America before it's too late and we get another 4 yrs of Bush-Cheney!

September 1, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  5. randy from canada

Obama's never made a single decision where the buck stopped with him?

Really?

Seems to me that he picked an appropriate person to step in as vp. Seems to me that he made the decision that Hillary would not be asked to be vp. Seems to me that he is running a campaign with about 2500 employees, with a multi million dollar budget, and ran a masterful convention.

Seems to me that he's told the American people that if believes anyone in his campaign uses the familial issues of the Palin family as campaign fodder, he will fire them.

That sounds like the buck stops with him.

peace...

September 1, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. kamuzangaza

Democrats, please stay clear, the 'maverick' machine is already in self-destruction mode. This is a train-wreck and you wouldn't want to be the one to stop it.

September 1, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  7. LW in McCain Jumped to quick...

It looks like old John McCain shot himself and the G O P in the foot, My God a Person who has only be a Governor for 19 months of a state with the about 670000 folks the size of Memephis Tenn, who McCain has only met once or twice before picking her for a Running mate. Come on now the Teenage kid with a kid, and a D W I for Hubby and do not forget Tropper Gate, What else could there be?, This Woman will be a heart beat away from being the President and she can not even control her own family....Come on McCain put the country First not yourself....

September 1, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  8. Wake up America

McCain terribly lacks judgment.

I pity the poor inexperience Palin and her family.... He should've picked a better female VP candidate and definitely a more vetted one

September 1, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  9. Typical White Person (counter)

You are avoiding the issue of McCain judgement. This was a disaster!

September 1, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  10. eric

For election geniuses, you'd figure Republicans would know to vet candidates BEFORE they join a ticket. Sarah Palin ought to be ruthlessly pounded on this. It shows the hypocrisy and failure of conservative policies and the fact that she can't govern the country if she can't even control her family. Republicans have gained office solely on their smears of others. They are the ones responsible for dragging politics down to the level its at today, but now whine like little babies when it's directed back at them. I hope you enjoy the medicine you've been dishing out all this time. Republicans climbed to the heights of hypocrisy after hitting Obama for his inexperience, then picking someone like Palin. Palin and her Republican friends deserve every shred of criticism possible.

September 1, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  11. Barbara

Watching the Rovian tactics is somewhat like watching a Hitchcock movie.

September 1, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. FAK Palin

This is proof that McCain did not really think it through and thoroughly vet each potential VP candidate. He knew about this before and out of a whim decide to pick Palin, given she has these family issues!

OH MY GOD! America will become a dangerous place with McCain and then Palin as President. GOD HELP AMERICA!!!

NO WAY! NO HOW! NO MCBUSH! NO PALIN!

September 1, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  13. Woodland, CA

Why won't any of the Republicans do more than smile through their teeth and avoid the direct questions by every reporter about her experience as it relates to becoming VP and how is she qualified to be commander in chief should – heaven forbid – anything happens to McCain.
    Larry King asks the Republicans directly – is Palin the most qualified Republican for the VP nomination? THEY REFUSE TO ANSWER BECAUSE THERE ARE OTHER WOMEN REPUBLICANS (WE KNOW HE PICKED HER ONLY TO PLAY THE GENDER CARD) THAT ARE HIGHLY QUALIFIED WITH GREAT INTEGRITY.
    Game Over.

September 1, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  14. Rick K

Don't worry – the 'SURGE' strategy worked in Iraq, an economic "surge" will fix the economy, and heck, this is a "VETTING SURGE" strategy!

...and then, we can lambaste Senator Obama for failing to acknowledge that the vetting surge worked!

September 1, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  15. funnybunny

Send McCain there too please.

September 1, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  16. Seriously

McBlank for Prez

September 1, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  17. Sherry, Atlanta

By the way...has anyone seen John Mccain today?

September 1, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  18. R.M.

Desperate time calls for desperate measures, right?

September 1, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  19. Regis Hugg

Troopergate!

What is coming next?

September 1, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  20. Ross, Brooklyn New York

This is comical. McCain's first major decision is becoming a fiasco. Didn't he learn anything during his 26 years in Washington?

September 1, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  21. WA

I bet McCain does more investigating when he buys a nw Car than he did picking a VP! I think he just picked a Lemon! :-) If his lack of judgement wasn't so sad it might even be comical. I bet after seeing the remarkable leadership byJindal the last two days he's kicking himself big time! I can't wait to see what amazing strategy he's going to use to get out this one. I'm sure George the Decider can lead him to the bright light! :-)

September 1, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  22. jose

Man, I really don't get how any mother with a new born child and a situation like this would want to be away from home and on the road campaigning . Really a bad choice for anyone running for such a big office position, which really makes me question her and McCain for picking her.

So she is running for VP, running Alaska, raising a family, and being there for her daughter who is now in the spot light? I would never choose to do something like this if I had these things going on with my family. We all know the media eats this stuff up, why would you put your family through this?

September 1, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  23. RBK

Reviewing the comments, it seems I am the only one commenting that has no idea why McCain sent people to Alaska.

September 1, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  24. Northwest Washington

John McCain is showing a trend of shooting from the hip before he thinks things through.

Remember a few weeks ago during the Russian/Georgian conflict. It took him less than 12 hours once we heard about it, for him to declare we are all Georgian's now.

Now we have the knee jerk Palin announcement before she is vetted. This guy is going to play our country with us in it like we are the craps table in Vegas.

John McCain is Bush on staroids.

September 1, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  25. Let's get real on Palin

Being Governor of Alaska is like being a County Commisioner in the lower 48. Plus everything is cash flow positive with oil revenue......she needs more than a communications team! She has no idea what is going on in the rest of the country.

September 1, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |