September 1st, 2008

Obama: Palin’s family off-limits

Sen. Barack Obama said Monday, Palin's family is 'off-limits'.
Sen. Barack Obama said Monday, Palin's family is 'off-limits'.

MONROE, Michigan (CNN) – Barack Obama told reporters firmly that families are off-limits in this campaign, reacting to news that Sarah Palin’s 17-year-old daughter is five months pregnant.

“Let me be as clear as possible,” said Obama, “I think people’s families are off-limits and people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin’s performance as governor, or her potential performance as a vice president.”

Obama said reporters should “back off these kinds of stories” and noted that he was born to an 18 year-old mother.

“How a family deals with issues and teenage children, that shouldn't be the topic of our politics and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that’s off-limits.”

The Illinois senator became aggravated when asked about rumors on liberal blogs speculating that Palin’s fifth child – Trig – is actually her daughter Bristol’s. A Reuters report Monday quotes a senior McCain aide saying that Obama’s name is in some of posts, “in a way that certainly juxtaposes themselves against their 'campaign of change,’”

“I am offended by that statement,” Obama shot back, not letting the reporter finish his question. “There is no evidence at all that any of this involved us.”

“We don’t go after people’s families,” Obama said. “We don’t get them involved in the politics. It’s not appropriate and it’s not relevant. Our people were not involved in any way in this and they will not be. And if I ever thought that there was somebody in my campaign that was involved in something like that, they’d be fired.”

1. Greg FL.

Obama had nothing to do with this. The story started on KOS and had nothing to do with the Obama Organization. Leave it to the McCain people to try and turn this on Obama. he had stayed away from family type stories from day one and everyone knows it.

September 1, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Cheryl

Thank you Senator Obama!

September 1, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  3. troy

Obama is AWESOME!!!!

September 1, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. glittergirl

another reason why i am voting for obama

September 1, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. jay

I feel the same way, but what happened to the far right's family values? so sad.

September 1, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  6. Jesse

Kudos Obama! Very well said. I respect you even more.

September 1, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. Nina-Florida

Those of us that support Sen. Obama are in complete agreement. Families should be off limits. There won't be any need for the Obama supports to say anything negative about the Palin's. Let's just keep watching the news and all up and coming reports.

September 1, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. Kim

Way to be a man of true values......

Obama/Biden 08

September 1, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. kg

Palin's daughter being pregnant IS relevant to this campaign, just like Palin having a child with Down syndrome is relevant. These things are distracting. Do we really want our nations leaders being burdened with these types of distractions?

September 1, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  10. Texico From Mexico

WTG Obama!!! I agree!!!

What we all want to know though is the alligations of abuse of power...now that does apply....

September 1, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  11. carol

Good for you Barack! The only problem I have with palin is how hypocritical she is and that makes me clinch thinking how heartbeat she is to be our president should something happen to John mccain!!

September 1, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  12. Kathy

If it was the other way around, McCain's response would most likely be "No comment". I'm proud to be a democrat and a strong supporter of Barack Obama

September 1, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  13. Nicole

I knew I liked Obama . . .

Now..what about those firings?

September 1, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  14. Raleigh

Very well said Obama!!! Now I hope everyone listens and respect her privacy.

September 1, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  15. bryen

Finally Obama does the right thing and stands up not only to the media, but to his own supporters. For too long, Obama has rode the crest of popularity by keeping silent as his supporters continue to bash anyone that doesn't agree or fit their ideology. I have told myself all along that I wouldn't support Obama until the day he finally has the courage to stand up to his own supporters and tell them what they are doing is wrong.

Obama might finally get my vote after all...

September 1, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  16. Marie-Lynn

Proud of you senator, well say. The GOP try with a ad used your kids somehow, but you show what kind of president you will be.

September 1, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. Cindy

I agree 100% – let's keep families out.
    Another example of sound Obama judgement.

September 1, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  18. Thanks Obama

But I bet the GOP would not react the same if it was family... You really do have a kind heart.

September 1, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. linda

Good for you! I appreciate so much your thinking and agree with that 100%. Family is family and politics is politics.

September 1, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |