September 1st, 2008

Palin backed abstinence education

(CNN) – Sarah Palin, who announced on Monday that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, indicated during her run for Alaska governor that she was a firm supporter of abstinence-only education in schools.

In a 2006 Eagle Forum questionnaire, Palin indicated that she supported funding abstinence-until-marriage education programs instead of teaching sex-education programs.

"Explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support," Palin wrote in the conservative group’s questionnaire.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Paul

You people are disgusting – All of you! This is a 17 year old girl and believe me whether it is abstinence or sex ed young people will be confronted with difficult choices and will not always make the best judgment calls. Try to tear down her mother all that you want but all of you should be ashamed for pulling in a young girl who can read this garbage all of you pathetic judgmental jerks write. I have daughters and work very hard to help them make wise decisions and not always do they follow my advice. I am seeing more and more that I have lost all respect for the Democratic hate machine – I used to think it was the Republican hate machine as an outside independent observer but since everyone has become so desperate to elect Obama the Dems have become the haters. Well you guys do not have my support or vote for your causes and I am so glad that those of us who are independents do not have to feel the shame for partymembers that some of the Dems and Repubs must feel. Do away with political parties and start thinking for yourselves!

September 1, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  2. Skonkey, Atlanta

This is a sharp reminder that ignoring the need to educate results in poor decisions on the child's part. Unprotected sex? BAD on so many levels. It is sad that this young girl was denied her right to know, and now she will bear the weight.
    How can anyone make a sound decision when denied all of the facts? Teens are curious and full of libido. They need education, not ignorance. Parents and lawmakers who stick their heads in the sand are asking for more situations like this one. How long do you really think this marriage might last? What if this girl weren't the daughter of a well-off, highly visible family? What if this child wasn't wanted, or accepted? More domestic violence?

September 1, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  3. Linda in Atlanta

THIS WOMAN, HAD TO HAVE SPENT THE LAST 30 YEARS ON MARS!

September 1, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  4. frank

in ur face !! now stop being extremists and recognise that maybe, just maybe, .. people with other opinions have given it thorough thought.

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  5. WHAT A JOKE!

Her family issues are irrelevant, people! Palin is simply not qualified to be VP, period!

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  6. dellie

Is Sarah supposed to practice what she preaches or is she supposed to accompany her 17 year old daughter on dates and force her to practice what Mom preaches? Do you accompany your teens on dates? Did your parents?

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. Ann, MI

I do not blame Sarah Palin and her husband for her daughter's pregnancy. I would hope that a 17-year old knows full well where babies come from and is capable of making the decision to not have sex. HOWEVER, it would behove children to learn about their bodies, the changes that are occurring and the very dangerous and contagious diseases that can result from sexual relations. Most parents just tell their kids Don't do it! that isn't good enough.

My parochial school taught us sex ed in 7th grade, and I don't recall any rush to have sex. In fact, after learning about venereal diseases, I was terrified.

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. The Bush Twins : George and John

Gov. Palin, you must really be so lost in your career that you would put your family out there to face the scrutinity like this. Does your husband have any say in this ?. Did you really have time to sit down as a family and discuss the reprecautions of accepting the VP position ?. Something tells me you gave it as much thought as McCain did in making the offer. If you can't look to your families needs, how can we expect you to look to the needs of our country ?. It scares me, the thought of you in charge.

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. Darryl

Let us pray , the McCain camp has vetted this Gov. Sarah Palin and her family. Who's going to take care of the baby while the daughter fisinhes high school? Excellent Choice by Senator John McCain what good judgement.

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  10. W Mellon

1. Vicious rumors on the internet about bible-thumping family's little girl being pregnant.

2. GOP spin machine counters with press release indicating that the bible-thumping family's little girl is pregnant.

I'm just loving this model of leadership. Lie and deny your way through anything.

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  11. Sandi from Ada, MI

It's sad.

Ands it's scary that John McCain picked her.

Judgment matters!
    Go Obama!

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. Cindy- St. Louis

The hypocrisy is galling. I am all for having a woman on a major party ticket. I am all for the right of mothers to work. I am also for the RIGHTS OF CHILDREN whose needs, sometimes, come first.

We can do better than this, America!!

Obama/Biden 08 and 12

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  13. Chicago

0 for 1 on the while abstiance thing. Apparently she feels that teaching creationisim, abstinance, and all that other conservitive fluff is right for the nation, but not so much for her family.

Palin is now off to abandon her pregnant 17 year old daughter and head to washington. Sounds like the perfect hockey mom to me, follow that ambition Sarah, follow that ambition.

I bet her daughter feels very comfortable and loved right now with millons of people judgeing her for something that could happen to any teen anywhere. Follow that ambtion Sarah follow that ambition.

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  14. Evon

I SUPPOSE SHES THE ONLY PARENT WHOSE CHILD HAD TEENAGE SEX AND IS NOW PREGNANT?

AS A PARENT, I DONT KNOW WHAT SADDENS ME MORE THE FACT A 17 YEAR OLD IS PREGNANT OR THE ONES THROWING STONES ACT AS IF THEY WAITED UNTIL THE WERE OVER THE AGE OF 18 AND MARRIED BEFORE HAVING SEX!

PEOPLE PLEASE- PULL YOU HEADS OUT OF THE CLOUDS (the nicest way of saying what i really wanted to say)

Democrat

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. DISGUSTED

ISN'T THIS JUST LOVELY- SUCH A SHINING EXAMPLE FOR TEENS ACROSS THE COUNTRY! WAKE UP AMERICA- THIS WOMAN CAN'T TAKE CARE OF HER OWN HOME AND BE A MOTHER HOW CAN SHE POSSIBLY TAKE OVER IF MCBUSH KEELS OVER!?! I AM A FEMNIST AND A HILLARY SUPPORTER BUT THERE IS NO WAY THAT MCBUSH AND THIS LOSER FROM ALASKA WOULD EVER GET MY VOTE- THIS SEALS IT- I AM VOTING FOR RESPONSIBLE PARENTS AND LEADERS- OBAMA/BIDEN IN '08!

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  16. Overseas

Poor Girl, really, all kidding aside, this is a 17 yr old girl at a difficult time in her life, and she has to share this with the entire world because of her absent mothers ambitions.... And to top it all off, she is making her marry this boy! What if the boy doesn't want to.... then what? Palin KNEW when she said yes to McCain that her daughter van PG yet she chose to do this. I am appallled @palin and I am appalled @ the abstinence only programme.
    This country has the highest teen pg rate of industrialised countries. So NO it is not working, and telling your child about sex does not make it promiscues.

Shame on you and your inhumane, family un-friendly policies Sarah Palin!

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. Democrats you are looking foolish

I can not believe the democrats are actually doing this....

Is abortion really a better, more desirable "failure" than the failure of abstinence teaching?

Pregnancies happen – even to Obama's mother. I bet her parents tried to teach her, abstinence as well. She could have aborted your darling Obama.

Hmmmmmnnnnn?

Democrats... do you REALLY think that is a BETTER option?

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  18. Lissa in Montreal

Education is NOT a selective process – if you teach one side of it, teach the other – kids need to know what it's about and it need not be explicit but it MUST be informative. We can't rely on PSA's to educate our children, but we have to do it at home AND the schools have to offer open, honest education.

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  19. greg in Oregon

if she can't Lead her family well she never lead the Nation except into more trouble than we are already in after 8 years of lies and deception.

September 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  20. Jack

The facts speak for themselves on this, it is up to voters to decide for themselves where they stand and what approach they think is more effective. Personally I favor birth control and education and that is one of the reasons why I am voting Obama. Hopefully all Obama supporters can take the high road on this and have the election decided on the issues.

OBAMA BIDEN 08!!!!!!

September 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  21. john

Anyone who thinks abstinence education will stop teenagers from sexual experimentation has incredibly poor judgment and should not hold elected office.

September 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  22. Luis

So cute, isn't it? She isn't a soccer mom, she is a politician...
    Even more, she is a Republican politician. They only have "values" to impose to everyone, not to themselves. Where was her daughter at the campaign 2 years ago? Didn't Palin tell her that wasn't just rethorical?
    Bristol might have given Sarah a lesson about sex education.

September 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. April in Texas

Well isnt that nice. Now only had her daughter payed attention or better yet had sex education and if they were not going to show abstinance then please use birth control of some sort.

Obama/Biden 08

September 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  24. patricia

This just underscores McCain's bad judgment. Palin has no experience to be VP, let alone president. He rushed to put her on the ticket with out vetting her background and personal life history, just as a political ploy. I feel sorry for Pallin's daughter, but this just reinforces to me that McCain as president will bring the same the same politicized, and misguided, bad judgment as the Bush regime.

September 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  25. Tara

I have to laugh at the right wingers try to spin this by saying "they are a normal family"

September 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |