September 1st, 2008

Palin's husband has DWI arrest

McCain and Sarah and Todd Palin campaigning in Washington, Pennsylvania.
McCain and Sarah and Todd Palin campaigning in Washington, Pennsylvania.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - A senior adviser to the McCain campaign confirmed Monday that Todd Palin, husband to Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, was arrested for driving while intoxicated in 1984.

"Yes, 24 years ago he had a DWI," senior McCain adviser Steve Schmidt told reporters in St. Paul.

Schmidt was asked if he was worried about the news, and replied, “I was not.”

The story was first reported by David Brody, a CNN contributor and Christian Broadcasting Network News Senior National Correspondent.

Filed under: Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Dee

Well, I guess we need to start working on cloning so we can make sure that we have no one out there who will make a mistake. It's not the mistakes you make because people are going to make lots of them. It's how you deal with them and learn from them. If Obama can admit to cocaine use and make money off of it in his book, then CNN can send their journalists back to school to learn how not to be biased.

September 1, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  2. D&D

Background check McCain, background check, that's what you do when you want to select someone in a political game...now everybody questions your judgement in decision making!

September 1, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  3. Earl Morris

Joe Biden's daughter Ashley Blazer Biden was arrested in 2002 for obstructing a police officer outside a Chicago bar.

Didn't Obama vet Biden?? Well now Obama doesn't get my vote!

September 1, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. robert

Democrats. Let's not be judgemental towards this family. Granted it is funny but really it's an average american family. I know there is at least one person I know who has gotten a DUI. It happens, it doesn't mean he is a bad person just lacks judgement. Also let us not judge her based on her 17 year olds pregnancy but be happy that she has decided to step up to the plate. Do not judge on family but point out that ABSTANANCE teaching doesnt work obviously.

September 1, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  5. Grant

Let's not let this get out of hand. It was 24 years ago. I support Obama, but this isn't relevant to her election. Her child having a child is a lot more of interest in her hypocracy and brings into question her moral judgements .

September 1, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. louise, SAnta Barbara, CA

That was years ago...and evidently hasn't has happened since. Probably learned his lesson.
    HOWEVER, a good mother would be at home nursing her 2 month baby who has challanges enough than to have an absenty mother. Isn't this baby important to her?

September 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. Summer

It seems like CNN should be able to find better material for that column. Is that really front page news, guys? He was 24. I don't even want to know what McCain, Barack, and Biden were doing at that age. Wait, I think we allready do know.

September 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  8. Ron democrat turned independent

to the democrats i ask. and your last President did what?

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  9. Rickster

Great Point from louise of SAnta Barbara, CA.

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  10. Mike Dallas

Why is this relevant because it happened 24 years ago? Because Republicans did and according to this blog are still pointing to Obama's drug use 24 years ago. At least he admitted and did not try to hide it, also, no one's life was endangered by Obama's drug use.

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  11. Golly Geez

Who cares? So what if her husband made a mistake in his youth.

That makes them more realistic people in my eyes.

He who has never ever screwed up... is a liar.

You got anything better than this?

September 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. Republicans Hate America

McPhony
    Poor judgment in Iraq, poor judgment in VP, he will have poor judgment as president!

September 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  13. truth please

McCain is scary to pick a lady after meeting her twice. Forget her husband's DWI, I'm worried about her having a journalism degree.

September 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  14. Independant Thinker

Yes, and Obama admitted to doing DRUGS and to drinking.

I am sure that Biden has had his fair share of alchohol as well.

September 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  15. Debra Carmichael

This is petty stuff. If they want to question something why isn't more being made of the fact that Palin is under investigation in Alaska for misusing her office? That is much more relevant to her candidacy.

September 1, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  16. Bean Counter, Motor City, MI

OK Great. Barack snorted coke, her husband had some beers and drove. It still does change the fact that neither has any experience.

September 1, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  17. Hopeful Floridian

This REALLY doesn't count – it was 24 years ago! Although I support Obama I don't like petty politics – this is petty. Find something more news worthy please.

Obama/Biden 08

September 1, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  18. nav297

Just when I thought no one can beat Chaney.... First the teenage pregnancy and now this. What a great family. Remember folks, this is a family that is a heartbeat away from becoming the fist family of this country. What an example we will set for the future generation of this country and to the world. God bless the USA.

September 1, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  19. Just Say No to McBarbie

I bet the GOP hopes their entire convention gets cancelled due to the hurricane so they can avoid drawing attention to their BIG MISTAKE!

So how many days (hours?) until Palin "nobly" withdraws to be with her family full time?

September 1, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  20. Cathy

This DUI was so long ago that I don't think it is relevant now. However agree with many of you as to the McCain vetting process. As for Sarah Palan's daughter, team McCain should have worked that into Palin's introductory speech, i.e. I am a soccer mom and soon to be gramma, three days ago when they unveiled their VP choice. Yes it would have been a surprise but it would have been over and done with by now as part of Sarah Palin's story. Revealing this now has brought her daughter into a brighter spotlight and she is now the story which is very sad for this 17 year old.

September 1, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  21. Marilyn

Let's not get carried away here, this is not really an issue 20 plus years later. The issue is that Gov. Palin is not now and never was qualified for this one-last-breath-away from the oval office job! As a man she would never have been considered for even a minute! As a woman, an independent, a mother and grandmother, I find this insulting to my intelligence. My decision was made by this move of McCain's.

September 1, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  22. lea

Typical consevative behavior. I'm a Demorcrat and I don't drink, smoke pot or use any other "mind altering" substances, yet my Republican neighbor and boss do! Go figure.

September 1, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  23. Mike

And I had one in 1989. Big deal. He obviously learned his lesson and moved on, or he would have had another one by now. Seriously, the liberals must be getting very worried to go back that far to dig up "dirt" on Palin. Is this all they can find? Gimme a break!

September 1, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  24. Nita Hasan

Take a look at the Internet and you will see that the caribou, which Sarah Palin (Pain) shoots, skins and eats with zest is on the endangered species list.

It is obvious to me that John McCain doesn't care one bit what happens to this country should he win the Presidency and after he is gone, v. likely with his health history, v. suddenly. Having her as VP - a heartbeat away from becoming President is truly a scary prospect for countless numbers of reasons. If she really cared about this country, she would have acknowledged her limitations and not accepted the offer to become John McCain's offer.

With the loss of Hillary Clinton, whom I had hoped would be the Democratic candidate, I will not only vote for Barak Obama but will become a volunteer. And I'm disabled.

September 1, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  25. Johanna

I'm waiting for tomorrow... news get more "interesting" all the time.

What was McCain thinking about?

September 1, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |