September 1st, 2008

Palins release statement on daughter's baby

Bristol Palin, right, is pregnant.
Bristol Palin, right, is pregnant.

(CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin and husband Todd are talking directly about their 17-year-old daughter's pregnancy.

In a joint statement released by the McCain campaign, the Palins say their daughter will keep the baby and marry the father.

Full statement from Sarah and Todd Palin:

"We have been blessed with five wonderful children who we love with all our heart and mean everything to us. Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. We’re proud of Bristol’s decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support.

"Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family. We ask the media to respect our daughter and Levi’s privacy as has always been the tradition of children of candidates."

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Shelly from San Pedro

So somehow it is supposed to be a good thing that this 17 year old girl is pregnant. I am switching my vote for the second time in less than a week, I had switched to McCain, based on Palin and her family values – now that I see how she in fact does raise her family and I see no values, I switch back to Obama.

Sad to say Palin is not Hillary after all.

September 1, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  2. Tarheel Bill

McCain's judgement needs to be called into question. Of the 300 million people in America, he decides Sara Palin is the best choice to the be VP. Come on, GOP, you've got to agree that she's a lightweight and totally over her head.

I feel sorry for her daughter and the boyfriend. Feels like a 'politically-expedient' shotgun wedding to satisfy Sarah's political need

September 1, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. Jon

How is this news?

September 1, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  4. nikki

LOL... if you look back at the video or pictures when Paling was introduced as the VP last week, Bristol is holding Trig and a blanket that conveniently covers her baby bump!

September 1, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  5. UNBELIEVABLE!

President Bill Clinton was impeached for lying. Sarah Palin lied that her daughter had mono and pulled her out of her school. A lie is a lie. IMPEACH SARAH PALIN NOW AND ASK HER TO STEP DOWN! McCain did not vet this woman. If he had, there is no way in hell he would have picked her! The GOP always love to tout their "Christian" values so anyone with common sense understands that Sarah Palin was not vetted! McCain is the most reckless man running for the highest office. Please give McCain an answer on November 4th!

Obama / Biden 08 & 12.

September 1, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. truealaskan

So I have one question. Who gave any of us the right to judge anything anyone else does? I was born and raised in Alaska, I know 14 year olds who's parents are pastors. It doesn't matter who your parents are, I was raised in a very good home I had both parents and very good beliefs. I got pregnant when I was 17 and without there support I would have never made it through raising my kids. So don't judge her for choosing to support her child embrace it because not to many parents would. Sarah is a very good person who has done nothing but good for our state and we support her and her family in what ever choices they make.

September 1, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  7. Charlotte

That young girl will be given every opportunity to recover from this – her family has money.

The average American cannot afford this financially or emotionally.

That's the difference.

8. St. Karl

WOW, I live in Alaska but didn't even know this!!! My republican family didn't know this...It's hard for me to call this ticket conservative! Let me tell you something, family means a little bit more to me than fame!

I will vote, but not for this!

9. Perusing-through

What does James Dobson has to say about his VP pick that he forced John McCain to select!?!? HYPOCRITS!!

10. Marilyn

Pathetic- here are true wholesome family values at their best! Why is it that the moral right always scews up so badly? Congratulations to Sarah Palin for raising such a successful daughter!

11. roger

a couple of pieces of advise for these BIBLE thrumping christians,
    PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH AND PRACTICE SAFE SEX !!!!

12. My Friends, let me tell you,

this will get the radical right out of their wheel chairs and to the voting boothes.

13. Austin Chuks, Lagos, Nigeria

This is simple. If u can't take care of your own primary responsibility, then u can never handle even more complex national responsibilities.

Palin: Just quite politics and take time to tend to ur family b/4 your other children bring home more pregnancies!

14. dee

Please Mrs. Palin, Focus on raising your family., Having a special needs baby and a pregnant daughter requires the attention of a mother. There is NO way you can concentrate on the needs of our country when your family needs your leadership. Wait until your children are grown to become the next President.

15. Fred

abstinence.......
    Yeah... that'll work.
    NOT!

16. katy

I think it makes Sarah Palin that much more "normal." She's just like one us! So many folks rush to judgement. This happens all the time. She could have had a secret abortion, but no, they are choosing to support her at this time. Maybe having a normal person in the administration will make a difference. This family is much more normal than the elitists from Chicago.

17. JD in Houston

How horrible to knowingly inflict your children on the world stage when clearly there needs to be more focus on her own family! Sarah Palin is clearly letting her ego run away from her own family. I like McCain, but at this point, what's next? There's clearly more dirt yet to come.

18. Diane from NYC

So, does this mean that Sarah Palin supports the fact that her daughter had a CHOICE in the matter? So, is she pro choice now? Help me out here.

RIGHT ON to "frog" blog – Palin says "We’re proud of Bristol’s decision to have her baby ..." That's Pro-Choice, "My Friends" -

What else is under the snow in Alaska??? There is global-warming, you know, and you can fool the people some of the time but not all of the time.

Diane from NYC – former Hillary supporter, now DEAD SET Obama/Biden '08 – Ladies, get behind this ticket!

19. jackie

Does anybody notice the complete absence of discussion on this candidates family values? As a woman and mother of 3 , I am disgusted at Palin's BOASTING that she was back at work 1 day after giving birth to her daughter, and 3 days after a premature deliver of a down syndrome baby!!!! In a country where families are suffering because women and children, and families are not given sufficent time to bond after birth; where women are punished for taking maternity leave; where family first is spoken but certainly not practiced, Sarah Palin is the last person, much less woman to be representing a working mother on a national level. Sarah Palin is an example of what happens to families when a parent, such as herself, has put her career aspirations infront of her responsibilty to the children she has brought into this world.

20. Andrew Long

Thomas Eagleton, as someone said above. I wonder who the next sacrificial lamb will be. Back to Romney?

21. Anna

Advocating teen marriage, praising a daughter for being pregnant because it will help her grow up fast? Some family values these Palin's have. Sarah Palin has been putting her job ahead of her family. I am disgusted that she'd go back to work a few days after having a premature baby with special needs.

22. Michael

Um, might have mentioned this in the vetting process. Goes in the category of 'Judgement'. Oh never mind. I forgot, there was no vetting process. The choice of Palin was spur of the moment pandering to the evangelicals. Oops.

23. JD

How can she manage the values of a country if she can't manage the values of her own family.

24. RT

Looks like the first strike against VP candidate Palin. Geez what kinda mother is she that she is so out of the loop that she doesn't know her own daughter is out sleeping around. And shame on the McCain camp releasing this the day the Hurricane hits New Orleans, they're trying to sweep this under the rug fast. Shame on you John McCain!

25. Debby

Shame on sarah palin...
    Charity begins at home...
    U need to be at home raising ur numerous children.
    Chelsea Clinton, Biden's children and the young Obama girls are an example of what children should be like....
    Stay at home and learn how to take care of ur wifely duties..u are not fit to be a VP.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24