September 1st, 2008

Palins release statement on daughter's baby

Bristol Palin, right, is pregnant.
Bristol Palin, right, is pregnant.

(CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin and husband Todd are talking directly about their 17-year-old daughter's pregnancy.

In a joint statement released by the McCain campaign, the Palins say their daughter will keep the baby and marry the father.

Full statement from Sarah and Todd Palin:

"We have been blessed with five wonderful children who we love with all our heart and mean everything to us. Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. We’re proud of Bristol’s decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support.

"Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family. We ask the media to respect our daughter and Levi’s privacy as has always been the tradition of children of candidates."

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Chicago

I think you really need to question Sarah Palin's values on this one. Rumor that this is her daughters second pregnancy aside, what is it that Sarah Palin intends to do as a mother for her pregnant daughter?

Perhaps putting her family into the international spotlight at this point is not the best thing. Her daughter, now getting married to the father of her child will do what? Raise the child alone in Alaska while Mommy is in washington or abroad? This is certaliny a difficult time for her daughter, and mom is gone persuing her own ambitions.

I have no problem with the fact that Bristol is pregant, its a fact that teens have sex, we all have been there we all know it. What I cant stand is this conservitive fluff about teaching creationisim in schools, abstinance as the only form of safe sex, and the holier than thou attitude. Palin is trying to force these views on the nation and her own family cannot even abide by these fallicies.

September 1, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  2. Johanna

There is no need to say more. What was McCain thinking about?

If Gov. Palin can't take control of her own house how could she handle the whole country?

I don't vote a woman just because the gender. I feel McCain is really loosing his touch of reality. This is not a game, this is our country and our future!

After McCain's choice my choice is very easy to do.

September 1, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. rese

I WOULD RESPECT PALIN MORE IF SHE WOULD STOP DRAGGING HER SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD AROUND TRYING TO GET VOTES FOR MCCAIN SHAME ON HER

September 1, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. BNelson

It amazes me when people in "public" office try to hide behind a claim to "privacy" in an attempt to hide their DIRT, as if they don't understand that they forfeit much of their privacy when they step into the public arena. HELLO!!! You want privacy? Remain a "private citizen"!

Sarah Palin as VP?! The number 2 in command?! Is this a joke?! The woman can't even govern her own household!!! And, yes, I know there are some who would say that, of course, my comment has to be politically motivated. But wouldn't we be saying the same thing if Obama's had a 17-year-old daughter who were pregnant?!

Doesn't how our leaders lead their families give us some type of insight into their abilities as leaders? I say yes! And with that said, Palin is NOT a good choice. People, get real!!!

September 1, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. Glenna in Dallas

Not for one minute do I or any intelligent American believe that John McCain knew about this, come on people. He is just telling us a lie that he knew the daughter was pregnant and MY Goodness, after all, don't we know Sarah Palin, "is the most qualified repulican in the country to be VP nominee, Mitt Romney, Huckabee etc.... just don't meet the creditientials.

See John McCain, is a power control person and he needed to pick a "Weak VP" so he would be in total CONTROL!!! Wow, where is his "JUDGEMENT on ANYTHING!!

OBAMA will be getting my vote along with his wonderful VP choice Joe Biden.

September 1, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. MD

What goes around comes around.

For months Repugs threw all kinds of mud at Obama. The result was that 85,000 people lined up for hours to see him give his historic speech. The TV rating broke all kinds of records. Ordinary people donated more and more to his campaign. Republicans like myself joined the Democratic Party just to vote for him in Novemeber.

Now the Repugs are hoping that Palin's gender buys them the White House. If that's all they have pinned their hopes on, I put all my money on Obama.

September 1, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. Karol

The Palins are caught in the throes of what many families go through and they are handling it as well as they can. Breathes there a family that does not have issues? If you do not vote for John McCain because you disagree with him – that is valid. If you do not vote for him because he chose a VP candidate whose daughter is pregnant – you are narrow minded.

September 1, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. Randy

Although I don't believe this should be made into an issue, I'm sure some of the extreme right will be angered, since Palin will seem not to have walked the walk but just talked the talk.

September 1, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  9. YakRob

The point is, the Palins are NOT saying that she made a mistake – they are not addressing the fact that she had unprotected sex at 16-17 – what they are saying is that they are proud of her in her decision to keep the baby and will support that decision. To me, not addressing unprotected teen sex is VERY BAD LEADERSHIP and VERY BAD JUDGEMENT.

September 1, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  10. EWENIKE JULIANA,italy

IS ANY BODY NOT INTERESTED IN KOWNING WHAT THIS POOR GIRL HAS TO SAY. AFTERALL SHE WAS THE ONE INVOLED IN A SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP IN THE FIRST PLACE. SHE MUST HAVE HAD PLANS .

September 1, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  11. Mary

This shows incredibly poor judgment on the part of Senator McCain, he needed to take this position seriously and vet his candidates closely. I can not vote in good conscious for someone that takes selecting his successor so lightly and tries to make us believe for one minute that he knew this before offering her the job.

September 1, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  12. Anonymous

To the comment that Obama would tell his daughter to get an abortion.... do you even know how old his children are?

September 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  13. On the line in VA

I am changing my vote from McCain to Obama – I want someone who actually pays attention to their surroundings and what is going on – it wasnt the dems that broke the news it was the republican party and the media that found out – the more I learn about McCain the more scared for this country I become and from the sounds of it – 4 days after we learn of Palin we have found out how much – what else are we hiding

September 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  14. Dyls

When you teach abstinence and refuse to teach protection, kids get pregnant. It also leads to the spread of STDs and I'd like to see Governor Palin defend that one.

September 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  15. Cindy- St. Louis

I am truly appalled by this fiasco of the "maverick choice" of McCains- had he been TRULY a "maverick", he would have named his first choice, Joe Lieberman as his VP- or perhaps Tom Ridge. If he felt having a woman on the ballot was important, he could have chosen Kay Bailey Hutchinson. Instead, he CAVED in to the right-wing loonies. This Independent is DISGUSTED-

September 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  16. Cliff

Here's a question I'd like to see asked: "Mr Obama, how do you feel about Bristol Palin being (in your words) 'punished with a baby'?"

September 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  17. republican for obama

WOW:!!! Talk about family values... SAD, SAD, and SAD..

Obama Biden 08

September 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  18. Sandi from Ada, MI

I am really proud of Obama's wisdom and good judgment in this case...He has shown great restraint when it comes to Sarah Palin. As tempting as it must be, neither Obama or Biden have taken the bait. And they are right! They don't need to attack the lady.

John McCain is the one who picked her as his second in command. Now we can just let him and the Republicans tell her story, and defend her in the weeks to come.

Judgment matters!
    Obama/Biden '08

September 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  19. dellie

Obviously, most of you have not raised teens OR have been completely oblivious to teen behavior. Ask a teen for their opinion on this.

September 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  20. catmom

Sarah, there is no doubt that women can do many things while raising children. The issue however is a mother who is a heartbeat away from the presidency. She has a four month old special needs child, a son who is supposed to be deployed to Iraq, a 17 year old pregnant teenager and two other children who also need her attention. It is one thing being a working mother with these issues running your own house, it's another thing to be in a position to make decisions on running my life.

September 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  21. bobby

mccain should have picked romney.

September 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  22. C Watson

First of all I am an Independent and I think that all tpeople who have something to say should look in the mirror. We do not live in a perfect world and never will. Learn to live with it!! If this was my child it is my responsibility to be there for my daughter.Which by the way I have 3.
    I commend Mrs Palin for standing by her daughter and supporting her needs. Yes it is painful to have to see her have to grow up fast with all in her life. Yet it seems as if everyone wishes to condemn than to be understandings. I say to all of you Grow Up Now!!! This country will not stop the bipartisonship it so badly needs until we work together in all fronts when our most important work is to support the people in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. Think about things that have happened to you before you knock someone else down.

September 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  23. Jason

The people complaining about the media reporting this story seem to forget that this was released by the McCain campaign not a piece of investigative reporting.

September 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  24. Sandra

The comments again show nothing but hate. Discussion on issues and working togahter for change must come frome a level of mutual respect. The hate throughout the blog world from the Obama crew keeps me as an undecided voter. Change routed in hate will not be good. How can a call for hope bred endless hate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  25. Ed

Thousands of teenage girls get pregnant every day. Since this little girl has parents who are abstinence education backers and pro-lifers one cannot help but wonder. She is still a minor at 17 years old, was the decision to keep the baby her's or her parents?

September 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |