September 1st, 2008

Palins release statement on daughter's baby

Bristol Palin, right, is pregnant.
Bristol Palin, right, is pregnant.

(CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin and husband Todd are talking directly about their 17-year-old daughter's pregnancy.

In a joint statement released by the McCain campaign, the Palins say their daughter will keep the baby and marry the father.

Full statement from Sarah and Todd Palin:

"We have been blessed with five wonderful children who we love with all our heart and mean everything to us. Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. We’re proud of Bristol’s decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support.

"Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family. We ask the media to respect our daughter and Levi’s privacy as has always been the tradition of children of candidates."

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. McWhine

I wonder if this pregnancy happened in Obama's daughter, what would Rush Limbaugh say???

September 1, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  2. Michael

Don't preach about privacy when you enterred the race. Also isn't the media still chewing up Edwards and he is not a candidate. If this was not covered then there would indeed be a double standard.

September 1, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  3. ThinkSmart

I really can not believe the amount of people who say they will change there votes from Obama to McCain because of what a blogger says. I promise you will not remember that blogger 2 years from now, I just hope all of you dont regret your vote. Please ThinkSmart. Most bad desicions are mad out of anger.

September 1, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  4. Snoozi

jackie, you are right and only spoke the truth, she does need to take care of her own backyard. April – you don't see the republican party as judgemental? Do you live here in the US?

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  5. Tony

I'm not saying that Bristol is a bad person, but I will attack the morals of VP Palin here. She's trying to ram her values down our throats about abstinence-only policy, her drill ANWR policy, and "I know best for everything" policy.

WELL IT DOESN'T WORK. EVEN YOUR OWN FAMILY DOESN'T BUY INTO IT.

Palin is an utter hypocrite. She has no executive experience. She has no moral values to stand on her (shown by her own family's lack of faith to follow said values), and she is not ready to be president.

I had utmost respect for McCain before this horrid VP pick. Now I will not, under any circumstances, vote McCain. I'll probably stay home this election.

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  6. Silentwulf

Teenage pregnancy? Won't this make the republicans cringe?
    McCain's VP pick can't get any worse (unless it was Lieberman).

I actually feel sorry for Republicans now :(

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. Rob

Ahhh....now I get it!! McCain and Palin knew that Hurricane Gustav was going to make landfall soon and decided to release this bombshell at the exact moment it came ashore. Notice how the news is all hurricane? It would be all Bristol Palin otherwise.......... smart!

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. Tony Newark,California

Sarah Pain's daughter is a minor. Even though she has decidied to keep her child. This isn't the point. Bristol was a minor, who was probably around 16 years old, and having a sexual relationship. How is this okay for a minor to have a sexual relationship? I wish Bristol all the luck in the world....but what does this tell us about Sarah Palin's family morals and John Mccain's judgment? Since Sarah Palin also prides herself as a politician because of her gender for women's issues, which is great because we need more women in office,,,,what is her record of legislation for women's rights in Alaska? What is her record on equal pay for Alaska's employees? I believe Sarah Palin has been offered as "Trojan Horse" by the GOP for this years election. In reality, she's becoming more of a liability because of hypocrisy.

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. Jana

Let's not forget that Obama's mother was an unweed pregnant teenager too!

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  10. Connie

For those of you dredging up the DWI Palin's husband has, give me a break. Obama was a drug user! And as for Sarah Palins daughter, I applaude her decision to not consider this life a 'mistake' as the "pro-choice" crowd does. She will someday look back on this little life and be horrified that shoud could have so easily aborted it.

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  11. Tell It

Palin's child needs her guidance. She may want to re-evaluate her priorities.

September 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. SS

Remind anyone of '72 and Thomas Eagleton as a VP choice? The wheels are coming off the Straight Talk Express...

13. Yogi

As a working mother, raising two daughters (17 and 12), while completing my M.B.A, I realize at some point there is a limit to commitments without sacrificing my children. Before this annoucement I was concerned about Govern Palin's commitment to raising and family while helping to run a nation. I think this proves women that while we can do everything, WE CAN'T DO IT ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

The fact that Senator McCain and Governor Palin knew this child's condition and still moved forward this campaign proves that they lack judgment.

News flash Sarah: Bristil needs her mother at home...

14. Clarence Chamberlain

How much you want to bet McCain's campaign knew absolutely
    nothing about Bristol's pregnancy? McCain met Governor Palin just two times. How on earth is that enough time to vet a qualified vp? It takes time to get to know any person in life be it your future wife/husband, friend or Presidential VP. This truely displays rushed, poor judgement on senator McCains part. Sit back and watch folks. Who knows what else is gonna creep out of Governor Palin's closet.
    My prayers go out to Bristol and her future challenges.

15. What?

TO: jake September 1st, 2008 1:37 pm ET
    ------------------------------–
    So you say WE need Palin in Washington, for what, teenage pregnancy?

NOOOOOOO, I DON'T want my daughters to think it's OK to be holy then thou as a VP nominee when it comes to judging them, but special holy then thou treatment should be given to her because she is the first woman VP nominee and daughter. If they decide to do by example, I do not want their excuse to be this choice, just because McCain blinded by a GENDER decision!!!!

There are a lot of TEEN who has not been pregnant at 15,16 & 17 years old, SHAME ON YOU!!!

Is the Evangelical Community still ENERGIZED by McCain selection or are they really about the BIBLE?

16. whatever

how many of you had premarital 'relations'? and how do your rate your parents job at raising you? did how they raise you impact how quickly you jumped in the sack with someone?

c'mon, let's get real. its not the best picture for a family, but its real life. i dont condone it, but i think everyone sitting behind their computer screens playing judge and jury is just a tad hypocritical.

besides, it was the 17-yo's decision to have sex, not her mom's.

17. shogun

I thought she was still out of school getting over mono when she got pregnant .

18. Joe

The republcans and their evangelical cohorts will probably claim
    Immaculate conception.

19. Bill in Ausitn

Sara – It's time to go home and take care of your Downs infant son, support your pregnant daughter, and be a mother to the rest of your children.

20. GAPRDDESC

Palin's children and husband’s shortcomings have nothing to do with this public debate and while I am an Obama supporter it never ceases to amaze me how the so-called right-wing Christian feel free to cast stones of immorality and morality while they themselves are guilty of the same sins!

21. David from CA

Imagine what we would be hearing if this had happened to a Democratic candidate.

22. Hello!

I guess the Obama family would have called this a "punishment" and gotten rid of the "problem".....
    I like this family.....they are REAL.

23. Bill or Vin from Philly

Republican family values??? What goes around comes around!!!

24. Clay

Talk about your shotgun weddings...I'm sure this one takes the cake...
    What did the republicans do, dig up Falwell and have him give her a good talking to?

Had she had proper education at home, she might have been on birth control, but I'm sure her mother would have considered that tantamount to abortion.

25. Typical White Person

Steve September 1st, 2008 2:32 pm ET wrote:

If this was Obama and his Daughter at 16-17years old, what would the GOP be saying???

If this was Obama and his Daughter at 16-17years old, what would the DEMOCRATS be saying???

Hypocracy lives...