September 1st, 2008

Palins release statement on daughter's baby

Bristol Palin, right, is pregnant.
Bristol Palin, right, is pregnant.

(CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin and husband Todd are talking directly about their 17-year-old daughter's pregnancy.

In a joint statement released by the McCain campaign, the Palins say their daughter will keep the baby and marry the father.

Full statement from Sarah and Todd Palin:

"We have been blessed with five wonderful children who we love with all our heart and mean everything to us. Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. We’re proud of Bristol’s decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support.

"Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family. We ask the media to respect our daughter and Levi’s privacy as has always been the tradition of children of candidates."

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Loretta from California

Again, where were Bristol's Parents? I guess they forgot to teach her abstinence.

September 1, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  2. GaGirl

Pregnancy is normal! The problem I have is when will she have the time to be a mother? VP is not a 9-5!!! I am a woman so i feel i have the right to bring this out!!!!!!! Also, why are they MAKING this 17 year old marry this boy!!!!!!! She is too young...She is still in high school!!!!!

BUT HEY, TO BE A REPUBLICAN, YOU MUST BE RIGHTEOUS!!!! TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS AN EVANGELICAL??!!!

ARE EVANGELICALS MORE RIGHTEOUS? GETTING INTO HEAVEN FIRST? CLOSER TO GOD?

IF I HAD TO BE IN THIS YOUNG GIRL'S SHOES, I WOULD PREFER NOT TO BE...SOUNDS MORE LIKE A CULT TO ME!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK AMERICA WITH THIS DUO RUNNING THE COUNTRY!!!

September 1, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  3. Skeletons are coming out.

Palin actually lied to the nation.
    She was the one pregnant.
    There is ample evidence and this won't go away.
    This will definetly cause a disaster for McCain.
    McCain you should have done your vetting.
    So much for squeaky clean image

4. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Do you mean she is not mother of the year like the GOP has told us? I wonder if she was a better mom to her daughter would this had happen. She cares more about her political future than she does her family!

Mccain told us on saturday she was a great mom and had great family values. She needs to spend more time with her kids and not worry about the V.P. spot.

5. Alyce

So I am an Obama supporter and think that teen pregnancy happens.
    Now, that being said lets address the real issue here.
    The McCain campaign would have kept the truth from us if they could have.
    So now we ask, what else are you hiding?????

6. Steve -Independent

Very irresponsible of Mom to put her seventeen year old daughter into the national spotlight by accepting to be McCain's running mate. I guess with Mom, she comes first and her children come second.

I wish the daughter and baby well.

7. students4obama

If the GOP VP. Nominee can't even keep her own house in order, how on earth do we expect her to keep The White House in order if she is a heartbeat away from the presidency?

8. moe99

Unanswered question: why was Bristol Palin out of school for almost six months before the birth of Sarah Palin's first child?

9. gluvnast

the was suppose to quell the rumors of the infant with M.S. being the daughter's baby...

by admitted that their daughter is pregnant now, only scrutinize this even more...but it's smart to put this out while in the middle of gustav

10. November come quick

Remember Palin is a nominee...until she officially accepts the nomination, all she is, is a NOMINEE.

Im sure we will see more information about the Palins surfacing. McCain only met her once or something to that fact. There's probably alot he doesn't know about her.

11. Offended female voter

I find it quite ironic (and yet, not surprising) that someone who touts "family values" and "abstinence" now has a 17 year old unmarried pregnant daughter. D'oh for the McCaign campaign!! Frankly, the whole story is still fishy, but we should just focus on the fact that this woman has no business serving as VP!! I really hope that undecided voters (esp. women voters) are smarter than McCain apparently thinks they are and will see through his rash pick for what it was–completely political shameless pandering.

12. Perusing-through

SO WHERE IS THE GOP FAMILY VALUES?

Naturally, most family-value believers support marriage before raising children. That is a good thing.

But forcing a 17-year child to make a life long commitment to marry the father, just to save momma's image is not considered family-values!!

13. The Bush Twins : George and John

Something tells this will be the reason Gov. Palin will step aside and in steps Romney. Much to McCain's reliefe, because I think he's having buyers remorse. know what I mean ?. No surprise here.

14. Jonathan

This is just unbelievable. I cannot express what I honestly feel right now as a republican except to say that I am completely disappointed in McCain and those within the party who accept Palin's nomination. I am sure she is a fantastic woman and a great leader for the state of Alaska, but she is not ready for the White House. Sorry McCain, but you just lost my vote.

15. andrew

Interesting how this statement avoids the obvious problem here....That the Palin's high school attending, teen-aged daughter, was having unprotected sex, which led to her unintended pregnancy.
    I highly doubt that the media, planned parenthood groups, or any health education outreach programs will ignore this reality, however. How sad it is that VP nominee Palin is essentially celebrating unproected teen sex and unplanned pregnancy through the endorsement of her daughter's actions....SAD!!

16. Beth

How can people be so cruel. I'm sure that you have had family troubles that you wouldn't want the whole world making judgements on you. I hope the baby is healthy and we have the right to choose life.

17. goObama

I am sure Palin's "Executive Experience" is at par with her parenting skills.

September 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  18. pedro

she pregnant and getting married thats not news

September 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  19. Nathan

As a evangelical christian, I'm confused this election. First we have Focus on the family praying for rain on the Dem Con, yet look what happens....Then the next day, the VP pick to add conservative values, gets hit with more scandal then any Christian parent would want to deal with. Sheesh, I'm starting to think that even God Almighty might want a change in this countries direction. Yes, I'm a creationist, yes, I'm pro-life, yes, I'm against gay marriage, yes.....I'm voting for Obama.

September 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  20. Speider

Another case where birth control was a sin but pre-marital sex was okay. That young couple faces some tough times ahead. Of course, I do have to wonder if the union or keeping the child would go ahead if "grandma" wasn't running for the VP?!

September 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  21. Barry In Las Vegas

The Democrats would prefer the girl have an abortion the way Obama said he would allow for his daughers "rather than for them to have to live with a mistake and ruin the rest of their lives." Certainly all of these kind people's daughters will grow up and not make a mistake – just like they have done with their perfect lives.

September 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  22. No dumb broad

Amazing how they announced this during a hurricane – a blatant (and truly sad) attempt to bury the story.

September 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. DCJono

I couldn't care less if the daughter is pregnant. These things happen. But it's curious to me that they start talking about this literally as a hurricane makes landfall. Just seems like they're trying to air their dirty laundry in the middle of a crisis hoping that no one is paying attention?

September 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  24. Kurt Moosdorf

Clearly the right-wing "abstinence-only" strategy didn't work in this case. I'm glad Sarah Palin feels blessed. I'd like to know how, as someone who values family, Ms. Palin plans serve as VP and at the same time take care of an infant with Downs Syndrome, a pregnant daughter, and an infant grandchild. The fact that with all these familial responsibilities Palin still wants to be VP shows both selfishness and arrogance on her part. It is anti-family values at their worst.

September 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. steve

It is too bad a private, non-public, citizen like Palin's daughter has to be thrown into the media spotlight to refute the mud slinging, lies and hate of the left wing bloggers.

May the left wing bloggers that spread these vicious rumors seek the help they need to remove the hate from their hearts. May they let the private citizen, Palin's daughter, live in private.

September 1, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |