September 1st, 2008

Perkins praises Palin's daughter

Family Research Council President Tony Perkins reacted to Palin's daughter's pregnancy Monday.

(CNN) – Family Research Council President Tony Perkins praised the 17-year-old daughter of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin Monday for choosing to keep her child.

"Unfortunately, teenage pregnancy has become all too common in today's society regardless of a family's economic or social status. It is problem that we remain committed to reducing through encouraging young people to practice abstinence," Perkins, a powerful figure in the evangelical community, said in the statement.

"Fortunately, Bristol is following her mother and father's example of choosing life in the midst of a difficult situation. We are committed to praying for Bristol and her husband to be and the entire Palin family as they walk through a very private matter in the eyes of the public," Perkins wrote.

Family Research Council is an organization that promotes social conservative views.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Ryan

As a Republican I was having a hard time with Sarah Palin in the first place, but was willing to overlook that a former beauty queen and hockey mom was a heartbeat away from taking the 3 am call, however she does not appeal to my Christian beliefs. If she can't educated your underage daughter to keep her legs closed, how can she educate a nation. Wonder why the hush hush about the father to be, bet he is overage while she is a minor. Enough is enough....Obama has my vote.

September 1, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  2. Speider

So, she has to keep a child at 17, marry someone she doesn't love and will probably end up divorcing, no college for either of them and the pressure of parenthood in the public eye. If Palin was a caring mother, she would bow out and say she has too much to do for her family to take on the problems of this country and the world. I believe that will happen before the election.

September 1, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  3. Texico From Mexico

The Republicans are the biggest hypocrites I have ever seen in my life. If any party is underhanded it is them....if you people can not see everthing that has transpired is all according to their plans you must be blind. They announce the Pregnancey suring the Hurricane....Bush and or Cheney cant make it to the convention..why? Because they were told not to attend. I can see one not attending but both? Cmon...the storm is not even that bad now....please. McCain knew of the knocked up kid more than a week ago? Well then it should have been released in a nice delicate way back then. I am just waiting for the next shoe to drop...the allegations of corruption, bribery and secret deals that are under investigation in the govenorship.

September 1, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. Ben

Her mother was too busy running a state and forgot about her young child. Mother of 5 has been used as a political instrument..And now a political disaster!

September 1, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. Todd in Nebraska

Perkins and his ilk are all hypocritical, promoting abstinence-only programs (which have failed miserably) and condemning teenage pregnancies BUT....when it happens to one of their own, everything's fine. Don't think so!

September 1, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. Terry from GA

Why didn't Tony Perkins mention that he was very unhappy to hear that she got pregnant out of wed-lock. That would have been the most honest answer from him.

September 1, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. mother for three girls

I am sorry ..What kind of message Palin deliver for our kids ..It is ok to have a baby in the age of 17 ... GO OBAMA/BIDEN 08

September 1, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  8. Adele from Philadelphia

Honestly, do you really think this was the 17 year olds decision to keep this baby? How would this have looked if she wanted an abortion, this would have interrupted her mothers ambitions.

September 1, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  9. Annie

Why would Sarah Palin put her daughter and family through this kind of horrible scrutiny in exchange for her political career? A caring mother with family values should have put her family first and gracefully declined.

September 1, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  10. RyanT

Americans...Republicans especially need to open their eyes. I don't have children but I have enough friends with children of their own who voice the same thing. "I just don't want my baby to grow up too fast." "I wish they could stay babies forever." While I find these sentiments endearing, especially since my mother used to tell me I was not allowed to leave home until I was 40, the truth is your "babies" will grow up. Some faster than you would like, as in the case of Gov. Palin's daughter. I feel for the the girl...because that is what she is, a girl, having her own private "issue" dragged through the mud as if we are voting for her. While this may say A LOT about her mother and her moronic thoughts about abstinence before marriage. It should not be a reflection of Bristol's character. She is a typical teenager having sex. If anything, it should provide Americans proof positive that you need to teach your children not only about abstinence but safe sex. Whether you want to admit it or not, children are having sex. It is up to the parents to provide the knowledge that while it best to wait until you are married, if you should to decide to make the other choice, then you need to know how to protect yourself. I am 32, I lost my virginity when I was 14. My bff had her first child when she was 15. These ARE the sad facts people. It will not get better until America pulls its head out of its butt. I am sad that Bristol's family would think that marrying this boy/man is the answer. How many "shotgun" marriages actually last these days. Maybe in another time when family was the most important value. My aunt married my uncle when she was 16 because she was pregnant. This year they will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary. Realistically though folks this is 2008 NOT 1948. I am sorry to admit it but family values is kind of lost on my generation. I do NOT speak for my entire generation though but for a number of us, it is. I wish Bristol Palin a happy and healthy pregnancy and should she decide to get married, I hope that it will be a long and joyous union.

Obama/Biden '08

September 1, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  11. Shay

Let's be perfectly clear, Palin's daughter did not have a choice about keeping her Baby! I'm glad she is keeping the baby. I personally do not believe in abortion.

The next time people start complaining about the media and what they report, remember there should be consideration for everyone, party affliliation should have nothing to do with it!

September 1, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  12. Sam

Like the poor girl had any choice. I'm shocked a Presidential candidate and a mother would even put a teenage girl though a national media frenzy – because they're both smart enough to know it would become public. If these people believed in "family first," McCain would not have asked Palin on board and Palin wouldn't have accepted. It looks to me that both of them put themselves first... way ahead Palin's innocent teenage daughter. Good luck on your election.

September 1, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  13. Loyal Jane

How can a 17 year old minor chose to keep their child? You would have to have parental consent. Also, now that we know there is going to be a shot gun wedding, I wonder how the boys family feels about marrying into the Palin drama.

September 1, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  14. Wendy Too

Social conservatives look the other way at the most atrocious personal behavior if that person is aligned with them in some way. They have praised Clint Eastwood (R), the abusive alcoholic who made one of his wives get two abortions. They recently praised Kobe Bryant, the adulterer/had sex with a mental woman (which is rape in fact if not in law) because he said something about supporting his country in the Olympics. They have praised Angelina Jolie, the gold medal winner of adultery, bisexuality, multi-drug use, compulsive child collecting, and coprophilia because she wrote an op-ed accepting the surge in Iraq.

The truth is that social conservatives are as Machiavellian as anyone on earth. The Republican Party will be well rid of the socons, the trash of the Party.

September 1, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  15. Terry - Ontario,Canada

Have never met anyone who shouts about his or her faith and love of
    God, like Perkins, who is not a liar and biggest sinner in the crowd.

Religion is between you and your god, no one else.

I sure as hell know that Perkins does not believe in God more than I do, nor is he any closer to heaven than I.

Evangelicals are all hypocrites , liars or weak -minded.

September 1, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  16. JWB

I totally agree with Tony Perkins. It is great that Bristol Palin and her partner Emily have decided to get married. Unfortunately homosexuality has become all too common in our society but at least Bristol and her partner have decided to do the right thing and to commit to each other till death do them part, in front of their loving families and the lord. ...

Ooops I guess I must have mixed up the culture war issue in all the hypocracy !!!

September 1, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  17. Praise

You have must be kidding! Now you are promoting engaging in premartial sex is ok. Great example Tony. God Help Us All!!!!!!!!

September 1, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  18. Seanie-Birmingham, AL

If this had been one of Obama's daughters; the Christian Right would have been all over it. They would have said look he can't even run his on home;let alone the country. They are sure hypocrities and now they praise her for keep her baby but they preach family values of no sex for marriage. What a joke. I really think the McCain camp did not do their homework on this person for vice president.

September 1, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  19. Cynthia

While the Family Research Council's teaching of abstinence is commendable, we all know the reality. Once your children get out of your sight they are going to do what they want to. I'm sure a lot of those people blogging if not too old will think back and remember that they did things that their parents told them not to do – some got caught and others were able to slip by not getting caught. Come on let's get real.

September 1, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  20. msnatchez

I was a pregnant teen and was active in church. The church put me out, because I was not married and pregnant. Even though they knew the pastor was having an affair with the choir director. These poeple should stop calling themselves Christians. You can see the deceipt in Perkins eyes. People like him, should keep Christ out of it and call themselves, Xians!

September 1, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  21. gramb

So your message here is to all teenage girls: get pregnant, keep your baby, our tax dollars will pay, and YOU WILL BE PRAISED!

September 1, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  22. george

Dear Republicans,
    What do you say about Republican values – teenagers aren't supposed to have sex.
    Do you want to say, "Oh, it is a personal issue" this time?
    I want to hear your opinion for Palin's daughter pregnancy which is against Republican value.

September 1, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |