September 1st, 2008

RNC confirms: Laura Bush and Cindy McCain to speak tonight

Laura Bush and Cindy McCain will address the convention.
Laura Bush and Cindy McCain will address the convention.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) – Cindy McCain and first lady Laura Bush will appear before the Republican convention Monday to encourage people to donate to the relief efforts in the Gulf region, a senior McCain campaign official told reporters in a conference call.

Watch: Cindy McCain and Laura Bush meet some delegates

Republican officials have dramatically scaled back the first day of the convention as Hurricane Gustav slammed into the Louisiana coast. In addition to Bush and McCain appearances, the convention will perform the bare bones official business needed to start the convention. Rick Davis, John McCain’s campaign manager, emphasized that all political activity will be suspended for the time being.

“We hope to regain our schedule at some point,” Davis said.

Davis also said that Target and FedEx will help convention attendees and the Red Cross send care packages to the Gulf region. Later in the week, delegates, staff and other volunteers will meet in Minneapolis to assemble the care packages. In addition, the McCain campaign is setting up a phone bank in the Hilton Hotel in Minneapolis to raise money for Gulf Coast charities.

1. Pat Carpenter

Kris,

That email list has generated twice the money that the Republicans got from the lobbyist. In addition, when some one on a fixed income like myself donates $50.00, thats 1/16 of my income, whereas the lobbyist donate chump change compared to their total available.

September 1, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  2. mark

Think about who's the FRAUD and hypocrits... GOP flopping between being positive and negative if it helps them. And dont' tell me they are about people in need. Where were they the first time.

September 1, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  3. Viola

After 3 years, they are now concern, how touching. Instead of raising funds for the citizens, why don't they just release the funds that Mr. Bush pledged back in 2005. The FRAUD is this administration's response in 2005 and their fake concern in 2008. I guess the people on the Gulf Coast should be happy that this time "Brownie" is no where insight and Mr. Bush is not on vacation and Condi's not shopping for shoes in NY.

September 1, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. Saul-Independent

Kris,
    I am part of Obama's e-mail list and i am willing to contribute immensely toward helping Storm victims. I also know many people on this list that are willing to volunteer and contribute toward helping others. Your comments about what Obama is able to do with this e-mail list is ill-inform and naive. Think before you make such stupid comment. You can dislike Obama, but do not belittle such an effort.

September 1, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. mrreal

Are you serious??? Is this all the GOP have now? America let me just say no disrespect to either lady but be the smart ones and leave the shame to Mcbush>>>>>>>>>>>>>>your husbands

September 1, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  6. Roxy, New York

How exciting. NOT!!! Just kidding. I love Laura Bush. She's a true lady. I used to like Cindy McCain, but lately she seems like just a shadow of her past self.

September 1, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  7. cindy

Kris, I'm on Obama's e-mail list and will certainly help out financially if called upon from Obama's camp to do so. I feel that Laura Bush and Cindy McCain, I will tune into and listen. Their husbands I wouldn't. I have admiration for those two women, even tho I'm on the blue team.

September 1, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  8. nothing but the facts

How strange....Obama said he was going to do exactly these things
    that McSame is doing now...why didn't he think about them before
    Obama mentioned? Everything Obama mentions McSame copies...
    surprise, surprise...He is looking for a goverment of CHANGE????
    Who decided first of government of change?
    Now he is going to take this mess in the South as...."look at me" I am
    sooooo good! Vote for me....Sorry, it is not going to work either!!!

September 1, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  9. BSmith for Obama

Our donations would certainly be more useful than a bunch of Republicans wetting their windbreakers to pose for the cameras.

September 1, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  10. Saba

I respect Laura Bush and she will make a nice speech. But Cindy
    better stay home and be save from shaking hands and get strained again. Believe me, you NEVER outshine Michelle.

September 1, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. Millisa in Oregon

It just keeps getting better and better. The Republicans will be serving the White House on a silver platter to the Democrats come November. Thank you McCain for your fine choice. Obama Baby!

September 1, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. Rayna Hernandez

Yeah, and I believe when Katrina happened, John McCain and George Bush were ummmm... Celebrating John McCain's birthday, which is soo much more important, so Kris, you have the right idea about these guys.. It's not like they're doing this for political purposes..oh wait...

September 1, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  13. Someone in Ohio

@Kris
    The "Obama gang" did not make those comments. Would you like us to pin the words of every single Republican on the "McCain gang" as well? Because multiple Republicans have said that natural disasters were punishing groups of people they didn't like before.

September 1, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  14. Enlightened Voter

Although they are probably okay ladies you couldn't pay me to watch either of them or any part of the sham that is the repuglican convention. And Kris, you must have had your ignorant ear muffs on when during the DNC convention when the repuglican politician prayed for rain during the convention. You repuglicans are so hypocritical! How do you guys sleep at night? And what is Obama supposed to do for the victims in Louisiana?" The same thing mccain will do, nothing because they can't, they aren't in charge yet you moron.

September 1, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  15. bob in LA

The storm has not hit. The hurricane has been down-graded, yet the Republicans will turn this into a political event.
    Where were these hypocrits 3 years ago?
    Tell Laura and Cindy to cough-up their money and not ask the people of this country who have been devistated financially by the Republican leadership.

September 1, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  16. bern

Well good. It still cannot undue the harm done when Bush and McSame ignored Katrina. Appreciated but, as usual with republicams, too little too late.

September 1, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |