September 2nd, 2008

Biden plugs Obama's Israel views to Florida voters

DEERFIELD BEACH, Florida (CNN) – Joe Biden gave a fiery speech designed to reassure Jewish voters of Barack Obama’s support of Israel.

“I give you my word as a Biden, I would not have given up (my) job to be Barack Obama's vice president if I didn't in my gut and in my heart and in my head know that Barack Obama is exactly where I am on Israel,” he said.

On an earlier trip to Boca Raton, Florida, Obama himself confronted Internet rumors that he is Muslim and anti-Israel. Obama is a Christian.

“I want to just repeat this because I know that there’s a lot of rumor mongering going around. People have been getting e-mails non-stop,” Obama told a crowd at a synagogue in May.

“That’s why I reject the attempts by some of my opponents in this campaign to distort my position…. As president, I will do everything in my power to help Israel protect itself from these and other threats.”

On Tuesday, Biden also addressed the “scurrilous” e-mails.

“There's some scurrilous stuff going around in the internet, particularly in Florida,” Biden said. “The extent you trust me and understand where my heart is, I promise you, the stuff you're getting on the Internet is simply not true.”

The senator spoke emotionally of taking his sons to the Dachau concentration camp in Germany, telling the crowd he took them because “as every generation passes, it’s harder and harder and harder to understand the enormity, the enormity, of the outrageous things that were committed,” Biden said. “And even it’s harder for people to understand that if we remain silene there is no - no guarantee it won’t happen again.”

Biden peppered his speech with Yiddish words, telling the audience soon they’d be “mishpokhe,” or family, and calling himself a “zayde,” or grandfather.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Florida • Joe Biden
  1. American

U.S. out of Israel.

September 2, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  2. Glen K

Biden is Obama's brain. Seems that the ticket should be reversed and the more qualified candidate at the top.

September 2, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  3. randy from canada

hmmm...Obama was the pick of at least 18 million voters...

both Biden and Palin were selected by one person.

and if you consider Biden as Obamas brain, who would you say is Palin's, and even more importantly McCain's brain?

peace anyway...

September 2, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  4. Old Fart

Lieberman still thinks Obama is a Muslim. That's the real reason he supports McCain.

September 2, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. I used to be a Democrat

That fact that Obama grew up in a Muslim family is a fact, not a rumor.

September 2, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  6. a Strong woman in NYC

Let's just talk about how a Maverick has put our country in danger by picking a joke for VP- a BIG joke that could ruin our country..

September 2, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  7. J UAN CARLOS

H E---S E N T----B I D E N---B E C A U S E----O B A M A-

D I D ---N O T---H A V E---A ---F O R E I G N--P O L I C Y

September 2, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  8. AKRON, OHIO HILLARY SUPPORTER

PEOPLE CAN SAY WHAT THEY WANT ABOUT OBOMA , BUT HE IS THE MAN FOR THE PRESIDENCY. I NOW THEY PEOPLE FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE IS GOING TO TRY TO KEEP OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE BUT IF GOD MEAN FOR HIM TO BE OUR PRESIDENT THERE IS NOTHING NO ONE CAN DO OR SAY

September 2, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  9. ran

Vote for Obama/Biden and other Democrats and we will ge our country back.

September 2, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  10. Jake, San Francisco

Glen K: i'm sure you are one of those who voted for George W. not once but twice.
    How can you say Biden is Obama's brain...was Biden there when Obama won his party's nomination?

I would like to know who your brain is....seriously!

September 2, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |