September 2nd, 2008

Biden reacts to Rove insult

Sens. Biden and Obama campaigned together in Michigan Sunday.
Sens. Biden and Obama campaigned together in Michigan Sunday.

(CNN) – If Sen. Joe Biden was hurt that Republican operative Karl Rove called him a “big blowhard doofus” at an event in Minneapolis Monday, he didn’t show it.

On hearing the news, Biden grinned and said “he’s a great American.”

The blog Politicker ME reports that at a Maine delegate breakfast at the Republican National Convention, Rove, the so-called “architect” of the Bush administration, called Biden a “big blowhard doofus.” Biden, the Democratic vice presidential nominee, is notorious in Washington for being talkative at Senate hearings.

Later, in response to a different question, Rove is reported to have asked "Is there press in this room?"

Biden addressed the criticism during a flight on his campaign plane Monday evening. A reporter asked if the senator would now answer to “Senator Doofus.”

“You can call me anything you want,” he said. “I learned a long time ago you can call me anything you want.”

Both political parties have made a point in recent days to draw down partisan rhetoric as Hurricane Gustav threatened the Gulf Coast. Biden said he would have no trouble drawing his sword in the weeks to come.

“I don’t think we’ll have any trouble resuming the campaign,” he said. “I guess Karl did it already. I guess he didn’t get the memo.”

Biden’s campaign spokesman quickly released a statement rebuking Rove for the comments.

“It’s more than a little sad that with another hurricane heading for the Gulf Coast, Karl Rove is up to the same old attack politics that he practically patented while helping dig a deep hole for our country to get out of,” said Biden Spokesman David Wade. “Americans deserve better, especially at a time like this.”

Filed under: Joe Biden • Karl Rove • Popular Posts
  1. Willy

I agree

September 2, 2008 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  2. James - Atlanta

Rove is using the same old tactics that got Bush elected. He is the doofus because the American people are tired of partisan politics. Young Americans, in particular, have grown up and we don't care about his blow hard statements. I beliieve that most Americans are looking towards the future with change on their minds. and will reject Carl Roves negative and partisan politics. We are all Americans, not just the Carl Rove "Blow Hard" Republicans.

September 2, 2008 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  3. Alex, USMC

Well handled. A rebuke on the attack without an accompanying attack...at least from Biden directly. I don't think the spokesman should have said anything other than repeat what Biden said.

September 2, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  4. RDW - TEXAS

I guess Rove should know one when he sees one since he worked for the king Doofus for several years.

September 2, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  5. Chi Okpareke

That Karl Rove is still being listened to after the havoc he has unleashed on America is disturbing. The guy has shown he will say or do anything to further his shady causes. I applaud Senator Joe Biden's response...just ignore the shady Rove

September 2, 2008 06:53 am at 6:53 am |
  6. Bill Tampa

Joe's comment was worthy of a Karl Rove comment.

September 2, 2008 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  7. Stephen Russell

Why does CNN even dignify this remark with a story? When Joe Biden weighs in on a Senate hearing, he's doing the job he was elected to do by the good people of Delaware. Who ever elected Karl Rove to anything? I am so tired of hearing about this back-room bozo. Someone should wash his mouth out with soap. There's certainly not enough soap in the world to wash all the blood from his hands.

September 2, 2008 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  8. williefloyd

"Blowhard Doofus" is a lot better than some of the names I've heard used to describe Rove. At least Statesman Biden is an honest and respected Blowhard Doofus!! Two words I would never use for Carl Rove!!
    This will possibly be my last post on this site, as my last 3 comments haven't been posted-too anti McCain I suppose.
    I am continually disappointed by the sleazy and hateful remarks made by some people. America is not a land of hate-we are known worldwide for coming together in a crisis. It is one thing to disagree and argue issues-it is something else to attack individuals personally.
    I am at a loss for words to describe how I feel about McCains' choice of Sarah Palin. It has shown a total disregard for the safety & welfare of our nation. What a price to pay for a handful of votes! It is quite obvious that she is not prepared to step into the presidency. This was to have been McCains' first consideration according to his previous statement. By making the choice he has made, not only does it show that Palin is not qualified to be president, it shows that with his judgement in making this choice, neither is he.
    In case you didn't pick up on my opening statement-I'm fiercely loyal to Joe Biden and don't appreciate criticisms of him.

OBAMA/BIDEN

September 2, 2008 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  9. a.j.cornelese

As far as I am informed mr Rove left , with other "unable seamen" , the sinking ship of state trying to save his butt. Now , from the safe shore , he is throwing names at others . Brave man .

September 2, 2008 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  10. Adrian Veidt

Wait... *Karl Rove* called someone a blowhard?

HAHA!

September 2, 2008 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  11. GPENN

Carl Rove is a hack. He belongs in jail. He is what's wrong with the Politics of this country.

September 2, 2008 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  12. Chad

Oh yeah? Well Rove is a "big dummy." lol Name calling. The political 'master' resorting to childish insults.

September 2, 2008 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  13. Deborah Dean

Will someone please stuff a sock in Karl Rove's mouth and tell him to sit down and shut up! This man is responsible for more corruption and scandal than you can shake a stick at and has thumbed his nose at a United States Senate subpoena, yet he has the unmitigated gaul to call Joe Biden names. Karl Rove belongs in a jail cell and should keep his low-down, dirty, lying remarks to himself!

September 2, 2008 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  14. Independent Voter

So what has Karl Rove done for the regular working people in this country? When did he ever fight with for Unions, Civil rights, and affordable healthcare? Never! - I think the only blowhard is Rove.

September 2, 2008 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  15. rainbowgirl

Does anyone take Karl Rove seriously? I'm glad CNN printed this article so we can confirm just how insignificant it is when Karl Rove speaks.

September 2, 2008 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  16. Walt

In all of politics I have never seen a more doofy looking geek than Rove. If that ain't the kettle calling the pot black...

September 2, 2008 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  17. C.J. Cobb

The title of the article should be "Pot calls the kettle black"

September 2, 2008 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  18. PJ, New York Independent

Though I have no use for Karl Rove, I agree with his 'doofus' remark. Joe Biden is nothing but a loud mouth doofus who loves the media attention and himself!

He tried to run for president twice now, lost HUGELY both times. Now he's running with the (in his own words) guy who isn't fit to be president. Obama was voted the number one most liberal in Washington in 2007, Biden was named number 3 most liberal. Now they're both trying to win the White House. Good luck I say... In the end, the American people will not vote so far left, they never do and history has shown us that... Mondale, Dukakis, Kennedy, Gore, Kerry, etc. etc.

As if Obama doesn't have his own problems, he picks big mouth Biden, the 35 year+ liberal senator... even though Obama has been ramming down everyone's throats for well over a year now that we need to get away from Old Washington politics... CHANGE. LOL What a joke!

September 2, 2008 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  19. ricardo williams

And that my friends is a man of true character. That's why I am voting Democrats. I'm tired of Republicans calling people names and creating fear instead of focusing on the issues. Senator Biden is truly an admirable person and Obama has stepped up and run his campaign with integrity. Still waiting on John McCain to do the same.

September 2, 2008 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  20. Mike

Rove is no genius in political strategy. He uses middle school-style politics which unfortunately seems to work in this country.

September 2, 2008 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  21. CJ

Yes. Keep the high road.

September 2, 2008 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  22. PhilT

Is there press in the room?

There should be a "full court" press in the country to put this "great american" where he belongs, in the "big house".

Good riddance, Karl.

September 2, 2008 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  23. docallen001

As Biden noted, guess Karl didn't hear that on Monday the Repubs were not going to be polictical but were going to be Americans. But I forgot Dems are suppose to play by the rules and the Repubs are above the rules.

September 2, 2008 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  24. Jim

Hey, Karl... Looked in a mirror lately?

September 2, 2008 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  25. Roger

So much for Republican civility. The only "blowhard doofus" is the guy Rove helped put in the White House. Some little village in Texas is thankfully about to get its idiot back!!

September 2, 2008 07:15 am at 7:15 am |