September 2nd, 2008

Biden reacts to Rove insult

Sens. Biden and Obama campaigned together in Michigan Sunday.
Sens. Biden and Obama campaigned together in Michigan Sunday.

(CNN) – If Sen. Joe Biden was hurt that Republican operative Karl Rove called him a “big blowhard doofus” at an event in Minneapolis Monday, he didn’t show it.

On hearing the news, Biden grinned and said “he’s a great American.”

The blog Politicker ME reports that at a Maine delegate breakfast at the Republican National Convention, Rove, the so-called “architect” of the Bush administration, called Biden a “big blowhard doofus.” Biden, the Democratic vice presidential nominee, is notorious in Washington for being talkative at Senate hearings.

Later, in response to a different question, Rove is reported to have asked "Is there press in this room?"

Biden addressed the criticism during a flight on his campaign plane Monday evening. A reporter asked if the senator would now answer to “Senator Doofus.”

“You can call me anything you want,” he said. “I learned a long time ago you can call me anything you want.”

Both political parties have made a point in recent days to draw down partisan rhetoric as Hurricane Gustav threatened the Gulf Coast. Biden said he would have no trouble drawing his sword in the weeks to come.

“I don’t think we’ll have any trouble resuming the campaign,” he said. “I guess Karl did it already. I guess he didn’t get the memo.”

Biden’s campaign spokesman quickly released a statement rebuking Rove for the comments.

“It’s more than a little sad that with another hurricane heading for the Gulf Coast, Karl Rove is up to the same old attack politics that he practically patented while helping dig a deep hole for our country to get out of,” said Biden Spokesman David Wade. “Americans deserve better, especially at a time like this.”

Filed under: Joe Biden • Karl Rove • Popular Posts
  1. Arizona Demo

Wow!!!! and Rove is credited with being the architect of Bush's administration. Pot calling kettle black???

September 2, 2008 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  2. Joan

Karl Rove should be in prison.

September 2, 2008 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  3. JDF

Joe Biden in a great American. Karl's fear tactics aren't going to work this time.
    With repect to McCain's vice presidental selection, McCain and his handlers have make a serious miscalculation. They believe the Hillary voters did so because Hilllary is a woman. They voted for Hillary because she reflected their polictial desires. Merely selecting any woman for the vice presidental nomination will not automatically change the Hillary vote. The Palin pick is a disaster. Certainly, it will not fit into McCain's fear brand of politics unless there might be Islamic terrorist caribou out there somewhere that Ms. Palin might shoot.
    Karl Rove really needs to vote for Joe Biden. For once, it is actually in his and the country's best interest.

September 2, 2008 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  4. MrCharles

I have never been so proud of MY country. The more I read some of these comments the more I am caused to worry about where we're heading. Rove should be in jail and Bush should be impeached. How long are we going to be manipulated by these idiots. WAKE UP AMERICA!! Rove is not your friend!
    But I forgot some of you still think the world is flat, slavery was a good thing and that the south will again. Rove only has power over those who listen to his BS and that seems to be a lot of you. Oh, by the way, It’s not, It wasn’t and when a very hot place freezes over.

September 2, 2008 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  5. Alex

This is the thing that is so disheartening about the politics in our country and why there is such voter apathy. Karl Rove can claim some responsibility for the political issues and climate that has created all the tension and I hope that his is party continues to lose and lose big cause it appears that their platform is nothing but negativity and now childish name calling. I hope that there will be enough voters in this country that can move past their hang-ups about Baracks ethnicity and truly voter their conscious and do what they know is right. We can't afford to keep this up. The stakes are too high.

OBAMA\BIDEN 08

September 2, 2008 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  6. Deb, Allentown, PA

Tihs ticker item was covered ad nauseum yesterday so I'm not sure why it's being re-run, but this is hilarious. Rove calling Biden a big blowhard doofus? That's right, Rove, you just keep insulting Obama/Biden all the way to the White House and you're out of a job. Unfortunately though, I guess you'll always have a job cooking up sleazy campaigns for the "me, me, me GOP".

September 2, 2008 07:42 am at 7:42 am |