September 2nd, 2008

Crowley: Lieberman takes the stage

Enter Sen. Joe Lieberman, the 2000 Democratic vice presidential candidate at the 2008 Republican Convention.

"I'm here because country matters more than party," he said to a standing ovation.

1. Deb

He is there because old men and old ideas stick together. THIS COUNTRY IS IN GREAT NEED OF SOMETHING YOUNG, FRESH AND NEW. Not the same old policies that have ruined our Nation. Republicans just make the rich richer and the poor poorer. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!

September 3, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  2. Faiz

If country matter more to him then why is he supporting a third term of Bush? I personally think he is not happy with democrats for his losing bid in 2006 primary and is trying to get back at them. He should not be allowed to Caucus with Democrats.

September 3, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  3. Laura

As I sit here late at night watching the Republican National Convention, I too feel like Sen. Joe Lieberman, in that I am a strong Democrat and I am one of those "Eighteen Million Cracks" that will be voting for President John McCain in this 2008 election.

I have listen to what Sen. Obama has to say, however it is easy to speak of "Change" or sell a slogan of “yes we can” obviously taken from Bob the Builder, in a time of recession and war.

I am American and a mother, I would not want to see my child go to war much less to serve a leader that has no experience nor has ever severed our country. Yes Sen. Obama has said that his mother told him to walk a day in there shoes, however you can only have sympathy not empathy, if you have not actually walked in those shoes. You don’t really no the hardships that one must face in a time of survival or the emptiness one must feel when they come home from war to Country that does not take care of our services man and woman.

Does it really matter whether a speech move you or sell you? Are you serious when the media asked the six shouting parties on CNN what they thought about Sen. Obama speech. They say not a great speech, nothing in there that American’s people can remember and/or a catchy slogan that will stay with them. Does that means that we only remember certain speeches i.e. Martin Luther Kings “I had a dream” or President Kennedy “Do not ask what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your Country,” is that what the media thinks the American people are looking for? Those are times of the past and men that no matter what they did in there personal lives were portrayed as “great men” even still after we have uncovered there faults, however they were just men. It was the American people who moved this Country into the twenty-first century it was our founding fathers and our pursuit of freedom that all Americans have pored there blood, sweat, money and tears into this Great Nation that we call home. If slogans are what the media thinks the American People are looking for or a perfect family that has no indiscretion or Great President that make no mistake, than may I make a suggest if you can find that perfect All American Family put that on reality television and sell it because I sure 99.99% of us Americans would love to know just what that looks like now of days. I am sure it is not the Beaver Cleaver family or the Donna Reid Show, we all know and some of us loved.

If you are looking to sell the next election here’s a slogan you can use “Lets do the right thing instead of what we been doing,” or what about what’s “right” for America and the American people. I leave you with this each party has a decision to make right, wrong or indifferent, there are no perfect people, there are just people striving to be perfect! This election year will make history as we know so let’s pray that the best man! God Bless America and God Bless President John McCain…

September 3, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  4. oil hunter

my friends my friends my friends hahahaha looserman once more

September 3, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  5. Janel, St. Paul, MN

Fred Thompson is a "B" actor. Hopefully, no one will really listen to his message.

September 3, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  6. george fernan

Fringe Alaskan Independence Party: Palin was a Member blogs.abcnews.com — McCain's campaign likes to herald the independence of its new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so independent, she was once a member of their party, which has been pushing for a legal vote on whether or not residents of the 49th state can secede from the U.S.

September 3, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  7. An actual thinker

Country matters more than party? But he's not -IN- a party right now. Everything matters more to him than party....

September 3, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  8. nappy, MN

"What we need most is not more party unity in America but more national unity!"

applause!