September 2nd, 2008

Gay Republican group backs McCain-Palin

Log Cabin Republican member David Valkema, a director of a fine arts foundation in Chicago Illinois.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) – A group of gay and lesbian Republicans Tuesday endorsed Sen. John McCain, saying his “inclusive” philosophy is exactly the direction the GOP needs to win in the future.

The Log Cabin Republicans endorsed McCain at an event in downtown St. Paul, Minnesota, despite his opposition to same-sex marriage.

“He’s a very inclusive Republican, a different type of Republican,” Patrick Sammon, president of the Log Cabin Republicans, said “At the same time we have honest disagreements on some issues.”

In making its endorsement, the group pointed to the Arizona senator’s opposition to a federal constitutional amendment that would have defined marriage as being a man and a woman. The amendment has strong support from social conservatives and would have reversed the decisions by Massachusetts, California and New Jersey to allow same-sex marriages.

“That took a lot courage for a senator from a red state to buck his own party,” Scott Tucker, the Log Cabin Republicans’ communications director, said.

While McCain personally opposes same-sex marriage, he voted against the amendment because he believes the issues should be left to the states.

“John McCain stood up for us… and I want to stand up for John McCain,” said David Valkema, a director of a fine arts foundation in Chicago Illinois. “He doesn’t care about my sexuality. He cares that I am an American.”

“He’s teachable,” Valkema added.

Noting that the Arizona Republican has had a long-standing relationship with the Log Cabin Republicans, Tucker said the party should embrace McCain’s inclusive style of politics – and open itself to the possibility of same-sex marriage – if it wants to return to its winning ways.

“Clearly the tide is turning.” Tucker said, noting public opinion polls that a majority of Americans support same-sex marriages or civil unions. “It’s important for the Republican Party to be inclusive on this issue because we are risk of being on the wrong side of history.”

1. Lesley

Yeah, except that at the much-heralded Saddleback forum, McCain stated in plain English that marriage is between a man and a woman. Was that just pandering to the evangelicals in the audience? Maybe these people better think about that. He is being led by the Christian right and what they say goes. And gay people don't belong in their group.

September 2, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  2. R.I.F.

How is this news? It's a REPUBLICAN gay group. That's like saying a DEMOCRATIC business group backs Obama. Although it appears that most gays lean democratic, I would image that given the name of this group they would vote Republican.

September 2, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. Beth

Just another ploy from the Republicans trying to prove they "love everybody" until the voting is over!

September 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. jeanette

The McCain camp dosen't want Gays to support them – gays are evil in their eyes.

September 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  5. DK(@)AZ

Did these folks not hear him at that town hall meeting with the reverand in California.....he did say that he would define legal marriage is between an man and a woman. I don't have anything against gay/lesbian folks, but republicans will even get the folks they dislike the second most to make a statement on thier behalf.
    Pathetic !

September 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  6. Michael

Log Cabin members are not gay. They are homosexual. There is a huge difference.

September 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  7. Jinny Lee

Are you heterosexual republicans impersonating gays to get votes for the Republican party? There is no other way this could be.

September 2, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  8. Joe Regis

Get a grip!

September 2, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  9. Jon Cruz

Sarah Palin is inclusive? Come on.

September 2, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  10. SSgt

Why would you support someone that denies you the same rights and freedoms as everyone else?

September 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  11. M.C. Cain!

Thats a first. Gay conservitives? I guess anyone can be bought...

September 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  12. Joyce, ny

THis is beyond ridiculous. Wake up, they'd shoot you in a heartbeat!

September 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  13. I love CNN, but not as much as I love Barack

They must really like those big tax cuts for the rich, to sell out the LGBT community like that. It's all one big stupid game...

NOTHING SUPRISES ME ANYMORE!!!

September 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  14. Lacy

McCain opposes gay marriage. How the hell is that "inclusive" ???

September 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  15. Unbelievable!

Oh Marie in Cali... and I'm sure you real name is Joe, probably in Boondocks, Alabama... get real! I don't get it and never will for the life of me why any gay American would vote for a political party that expressly opposes the gay agenda. It's so very baffling. But, luckily, this is only a very small percentage of gay people... the larger percentage being smart!

September 2, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  16. malabar

gay, hispanic, college educated male here- I'm voting for McCain/Palin

September 2, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  17. Mike in Houston

“It’s important for the Republican Party to be inclusive on this issue because we are risk of being on the wrong side of history.” - yeah, right.

They need to read Jack's column on the GOP being in the land of make-believe...

It's amazing how some people will grasp on to the flimsiest evidence pointing in one direction, even when all the other evidence points in the opposite direction.

September 2, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  18. Joe the Troll

In other words, these are gay men that make enough to qualify for McCain's tax break.

September 2, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  19. KM

I agree with Marie in California.

I'm in the middle. I'm liberal on social issues and conservative on almost everything else.

I'm voting for John McCain because I think he's better qualified for the job.

Maybe if Obama runs again, he'll get my vote. Not this time.

September 2, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  20. Daryl from Seattle

Gays and Lesbians, don't fall for this. There is no way on this green earth that McCain and the conservatives that he serves would ever go against the good ol' boy philosophies and make marriage be anything other than between a man or a woman. Seriously....consider the source.

September 2, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  21. Marxists for Obamessiah

As a fiercely conservative American, I for one don't give a flying babboon's bottom about someone's pigment, their "plumbing," or with whom they choose to share their "plumbing." (in spite of how liberals like to portray conservatives)

What I care about is whether Robin Hood is attempting to pickpocket money I've earned for my family to redistribute to someone Robin deems "more worthy" of the fruits of my labor.

To the Log Cabins, I say it's great to have you on board. Hope to see you election day.

September 2, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  22. NORA, FLORIDA

LOL their rights along with the rest of the country will be washed away!!!! LOL such loosers

September 2, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  23. fixthebroken

OK, let's be serious here. Let's be objective here. I dare anyone to tell me how the Republicans are inclusive with respect to the gay and lesbian community - especially more so than the Democrats.

I dare you!

September 2, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  24. PhillyGirl

A party that denies gays equal citizenship with heterosexuals is inclusive? How anyone could make such a statement with a straight face (if you'll pardon the pun) is boggling.

September 2, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. Tim

This is a Republican group supporting McCain so what?

September 2, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |