September 2nd, 2008

McCain defends vetting of Palin

McCain is defending his choice of Palin.

McCain is defending his choice of Palin.

(CNN) - Presumptive Republican nominee John McCain defended his campaign's vetting of newly named VP candidate Sarah Palin Tuesday, amid a stream of revelations about the Alaska governor that could potentially harm the GOP presidential ticket.

"My vetting process was completely thorough and I'm grateful for the results," McCain told reporters in Philadelphia.

The comments come a day after Palin announced her 17-year-old daughter was pregnant and news surfaced the Alaska governor had hired a lawyer weeks ago to act on her behalf as state legislators investigate whether she may have abused her power in the firing of the state’s police chief for refusing to fire her ex-brother-in-law, a state trooper.

Watch: McCain defends vetting process

Speaking on Fox News earlier Tuesday, former top Bush aide Karl Rove echoed McCain's comments that Palin was fully vetted.

"They knew all of it," Rove said of the recent revelations on Palin.

McCain has previously faced fire from Democrats over the fact the Arizona senator only met with Palin once in person before offering her the No. 2 slot on his ticket.

Related: Top Republicans defend Palin and vetting process

UPDATE: Speaking with reporters in Ohio Tuesday, McCain reiterated his support for Palin.

"I just want to repeat again how excited I am to have Sarah Palin, the great Governor of Alaska, as my running mate," he said. "America's excited and they're going to be even more excited once they see her tomorrow night. I'm very, very proud of the impression she's made on all of America and looking forward to serving with her."

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Doreen J.

This is a woman who put her political career ahead of her young daughter. How nice for a 17 year old – splashed all over every newspaper in the country and eaten alive by the media. Nice going mom – good judgment there. Just what was McCain thinking??!

September 2, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. rice, bryan

mccain took one look at her, seen that she was good looking, gun slingin', oil supporter, and he was sold. he pandered for votes, to go after clinton votes, and the guy vote with her looks. and isn't funny that the religious folks are backing her, if the shoe were on the other foot they would be screaming from the pulpit. the gop stance on just tell your kids to just wait for marriage works about as good as having a stranger tell them to just wait. when i first heard this i thought to myself, great another bush daughter. but no it was just another bible thumping republican child that turned out just like an average teen ager. this doesn't make her a bad mom, just irresponsible. if your child is on birth control, that doesn't mean you condon the act of sex. that takes the "hey mom, dad i have to tell you something" out of the equation. and if this were obama who's child was pregnant, oh my god, the attacks would be coming in from every direction.

September 2, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. BevAnn

She was not vetted enough. McCain was too busy pandering for my vote (Hillary supporter) and the neocon base he is struggling with. He was mistaken on two counts when it comes to vote-getting and chosing Palin – (1) Hillary would run rings around this woman on any issue facing our nation, in other words she is NOT a fill-in for Hil's shoes. (2) it's a slap in my face as a woman for the McCain to believe that just because a person is female I will vote on that ticket. It insults my intelligence and certainly enrages me. Obama had my vote the day Hillary suspended her campaign.

September 2, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. Flo

Sorry my next President Obama, and my VP Biden, with the respect as much as I love both of you, and respect your judgments. I strongly disagree with your statement about the girl not being a public matter, for I think that it is.

September 2, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  5. Marrissa in Burlington, NC

as a mother and woman, i would just like to add – WHAT KIND OF MOTHER LEAVES HER FAMILY BEHIND IN SUCH AN APPARENT CRISIS (newborn child with down syndrome, 17 year old daughter pregnant) TO SEEK POLITICAL POWER?!?! the only honorable thing for Sarah Palin to do now is drop from the race and take care of home – something she OBVIOUSLY hasn't been doing while all of her executive experience (and abuse of power) has been gained.

September 2, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  6. Sarah

She was not vetted at all.

September 2, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. H-ROD

ISN'T PALIN THE ABSTINENCE CANDIDATE THE ADVOCATE FOR ABSTINENCE ALONE, NO SAFE SEX EDUCATION, NO EDUCATION ON SEXUALY TRANSMITTED DISEASES ,,, NO NOTHING BUT ABSTINENCE WELL HOWS THAT WORKING OUT FOR YOU NOT GOOD HUH !!! OH WELL THE CHICKENS HAVE COME HOME TO ROOST!!! ( YES OBAMA SPEAKS WITH ONE FACE)!!! (4 MORE MONTHS) (YES OBAMA CAN)!!!!!!!

September 2, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. Joe

"Do we call her Mother Teresa, or fake iron lady"
    She do not have time for her kids and she want to be vp.
    she can not run her house but she want to white house.
    Here we go again.......... America Roll Model.
    My 17 years old high school drop out will be having a baby and getting marry. What a looser, she needs to get real.....

September 2, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  9. dutch

Get real McBush. This kind of judgement in the selection of your running mate we can do without . Go Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 2, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  10. Jack in Chicago

OK. So we have Sara Palin who is un uber-right wing :Barracuda" who believes in being anti- sex education, anti-alcohol excesses, and anti-corruption. And yet her 17-year old, unmarried daughter is pregnant, her husband has been convicted of DWI, and she is under idictment in Alaska for corruption. Way to go John!

September 2, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  11. Jameshjttaz@yahoo.com

McCain is letting the media vet Palin........ What?....... You mean that's not how it works?
    McDude can't use that new fangled internet and doesn't really know where Alaska is (always thought it was part of Canada) – so can't blame him.

Seems kind of a shallow but obvious way to recruit Hillary's followers. Also a nice way for McSame to avoid addressing the issues. Knows Obama will not pick on her. MacGoo is brilliant!

She will be his scapegoat if they lose.

September 2, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  12. Judith

There is more to Sarah Palin than we know. In researching the paper from the small town she was a mayor in, there are reports from the head librarian that Palin tried to get her to ban several books that weren't to her liking. Ban books? You've got to be kidding ... anyone should be spooked here... this women is scary.

September 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  13. Franky

"Obama's mother was quite pregnant (3 months) with Barak when she married his Kenyan father ….

Sarah Palin's daughter IS NOT running for VP. Leave her alone!"

Hey!!! My boy already had his say, is not his fault that 75% of the country don't wanna listen....

September 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  14. MaytenMadison

I don't know about ya'll but when my job interviewed me, I had a phone interview, and on-site interview with one person, then I was called back on-site to interview with the team. And I am just an IT Analyst.

September 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  15. James

She will be his scapegoat if they lose.

September 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  16. marc

It all boils down to McCain being an uninformed pompus idiot!

September 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  17. Susan MO

Sarah Palin tried to get books banned, hunted wolves by shooting from a hellicopter, being part of a group once that tried to get Alaska separated from the rest of the "United" States". She was elected mayor in a bitty town by getting just over 900 votes total, then fired the police and fire chief immediately after for not supporting her campaign. Now, as governor under investigation for firing someone who would not fire her ex-brother in law.

Sounds like she was vetted fully and will fit right in with the extending Bush policies.

September 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. Debbie

NoBama,

Hmmmm.....well Obama's mother nor his grandmother was not running for the VP slot. Therefore a moot point.

I am uncomfortable that children of the Democrat candidate are raked across the coals by those same people who are upset with someone questioning the teachings of a candidate who's own daughter didn't listen to her, and just how well her (Sarah's) judgement is.

I remember just how hateful they were when ripping Chelsea Clinton to shreds and she was just a little girl.

No Moral's in that party. None at all.

September 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |