September 2nd, 2008

Schneider: Where’s the biggest issue of the year?

ST. PAUL (CNN) – What they’re asking for is a personal vote for John McCain - put aside policy, and the record of the Bush administration, and vote for the better leader.

Well, voters don’t do that.

They don’t put aside policy entirely. Most of all, they want to know what John McCain’s going to do to help fix the economy.

Personality does matter, but we’ve elected a lot of people who didn’t exactly have scintillating personalities: I give you Richard Nixon – twice – and Jimmy Carter. People vote for someone who can get the job done

What was interesting is, I didn’t hear much tearing down of Obama – less than you might expect, except from his fellow Democrat Joe Lieberman.

But a lot of raising John McCain to the status of a hero and saint. And no one denies that his story is remarkable, and requires respect and admiration. What people want to know is does he have the ability to solve the nation’s problems.

What’s missing in the whole evening, amid the chants of “USA!”, character, and honor, is any serious talk about the economy – issue number one on American minds. Sooner or later, someone at this convention has got to address it. The bottom line is, we’re still waiting for the biggest concern in the country to make an appearance. What are they going to do about the economy?

1. No Palin/No McCain

Maybe Sarah Palin will present her outstanding plan tomorrow.
    Ha! Ha!

September 2, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  2. Not this time

They don't have anything to say about the economy. They are doing the same things they did to Al Gore and John Kerry – find their strengths and attack them, relentlessly, and hope that just enough voters will be distracted long enough to get their vote in November. It worked before, but it won't work this time, because Obama has inspired millions of young citizens to register, and they will turn out this fall to ensure Obama is elected. The Republicans do not deserve another four years...especially when those four years would be nearly identical to the last 8. McCain lost his maverick status when he caved in to the conservative right. Obama will win.

September 2, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. Sean Chong

Let me tell you why they didn't mention anything about the economy... did you see how many soldiers are at the convention? Of course, soldiers are the worst economists you can have! So no one really understand what economies meant in this new century at the GOP convention. They're still stucked in oil money, manufacturing, and producing telephone. The modern economy is about biotech, information technology etc!

September 2, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  4. Becky

This is exactly what I want to know. What are four more years of Republican politics going to do to make my life better? Do I care if Iraqis are free? No, I never did. I want to know what they are going to do for my family. Barack Obama told me. Now, I'm waiting for the Republicans to give me a reason not to vote for him. Because I haven't seen any change so far. Especially with Sarah Palin. Talk about extreme right. I'm afraid that John McCain has just thrown the election.

September 2, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  5. Stephanie Pugh

He can't address the econmy, all I hear is his war stories, what a boring convention.

September 2, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  6. Gilles

Everything that we heard tonight at this convention is the same as we can hear in countries with dictatorship... war war war, the enemies and the heros of the nation.

September 2, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  7. Coach K

My sentiments exactly Mr. Schneider. Thank you

September 2, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  8. Cathy

I admire McCain's record of service for his country but this is not an unknown to most. Its the economy stupid!

September 2, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  9. Nana

"What are they going to do about the economy?"

they are going to do the same thing that bush did about it, ignore it.

hopeless fools!

September 2, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  10. Nevada dude

ITS THE ECONOMY, STUPIDS!!!

September 2, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  11. ran

The Republicans can not run on issues. They know it and so will do all they can not to have to talk about the concerns of most Americans because there not the concerns of the Republicans.

People open you eyes and ears. It is time for us to get our country back and to do that we must vote Obama/Biden and other Democrats this time.

Do it for your children and for yourselves.

September 2, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  12. Ito

People are experiencing a lot of economic pain and the Republicans are not interested in it because they are out of touch with the ordinary American.

McCain will only bring more pain.

McCain is McPain.

September 2, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  13. Xavier

What about the economy? Doesnt any republican want to touch it? Doesnt any republican have the guts to touch it?

September 2, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |