September 3rd, 2008

Analysis: What Palin needs to say

Sarah Palin takes center stage at the Republican convention Wednesday night.
Sarah Palin takes center stage at the Republican convention Wednesday night.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - In what is expected to be one of the most dramatic moments of the convention, Republican vice presidential pick Sarah Palin takes the stage Wednesday night to introduce herself to the country.

In just days, the Alaska governor has gone from a little-known politician to one of the most talked about women in the country, after being named to the GOP ticket and after news broke of her teen daughter's pregnancy.

Palin's address marks her chance to define herself to the American public and prove that she has the knowledge and judgment to sit down the hall from a 72-year-old president should John McCain be elected.

"I think this is her grand opportunity," said David Gergen, a former presidential adviser and CNN's senior political analyst. "It's an opportunity to introduce herself to American voters who have only heard a few things about her, barely saw her on Friday, and now have heard a lot of rumors and controversy."

A top aide to Palin said the Republican vice presidential candidate will highlight her record as a governor and mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, and will also call for reform in Washington in her speech Wednesday.

Full story

1. Karin

The amount of time that has been spent preparing Sarah Palin's speech and the fact that she has been available for only one interview is further evidence that she is clearly not the best person to be the V.P. of the U.S. at such an unstable time in our own country and around the world. Come on, for McCain to pick Palin, and then be so ill prepared for the week ahead makes me question his capability. The United States is in a critical crisis on many levels. I am a registered republican now voting for Obama. My mind is made up before her speech. The Republican party needs a 4 year break to get it together.

September 3, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  2. anorth

McCain has turned this political race into an Republican Circus Show that the rest of the world is laughing at day after day.

Palin can say whatever she likes, I don't trust her motives and I don't believe in her viewpoint nor do I believe that she speaks from her heart but is only there for her own political gain (since she is obviously so not qualified to run our country on any level).

With this 'circus' just getting starting, it has to be the media who will find out what the 'real' story is since you can't get it from McCain nor Palin.

McCain thinks he's quite the smart one right now because he put this woman on his ticket and almost all the intelligent Republicans agree that she should not be there.

The Republican Party has been back-peddling ever since the uglies began to come out......1.) being federally investigated after only being in office for 16 months 2.) not even knowing what the V.P does (OMG) 3.) knowing that her daughter at 16 got pregnant (now 17 – 5 months later) and still accepting the nomination for Vice President. Basically, her actions have spoken loud and clear. I don't respect her.

The right-wing smugness is what is so irritating and so hypocritical that it is even hard to watch the RNC. I will not stay up to listen to her try to sell herself.

Again, the American women are alot smarter than McCain thinks they are and Clinton backers will not simply vote for McCain because a woman is on his ticket.

Did McCain 'forget' that Palin does not represent the ideals of the women within the Democratic party nor that of our country.......Teen-age pregnancy, at this time in our evolution, is unacceptable especially not when Mother dearest is making that her platform.

I believe that there are alot of women who do not want this women to be the 'Role Model' for the millions of young women in our country.

I know that I don't want her in the White House making decisions that effect me as a woman and I will be encouraging all women to research the motives behind the Republicans.

September 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  3. Raul, Austin, TX

Is Sarah Palin suitable for the role VP? I guess that is a question even she is asking herself right now. Yes, she is a mother of 5 with a pregnant teenage daughter and a child with down syndrome; but these are issues that many American families face today and it is shameful that she is brought to the spotlight, let alone be attacked because of them.

The ones who should really be in the spotlight are John McCain and his campaign advisers. With elections just around the corner, and an ever-growing Obama inclination, desperation has struck the Republican Party harder than lightning. It is not the fact that a woman was nominated for Vice President, on the contrary, I think it was about time a woman shared the Presidential Ballot; but what I really dislike is that they had to resort to a candidate of female gender in an attempt to gain some last minute votes or more specifically, women votes. It's ridiculous, it's degrading and people should notice that a candidate this poor-minded is not capable of making good decisions.

I greatly doubt John McCain would have appointed Sarah Palin for his running mate if Obama would have picked Hillary as his. This ain't chess, the self-acclaimed "Original Maverick" thinks this is a strategy game and is trying to take advantage of the fact that a female was not elected presidential nominee or appointed VP on the Democratic Party.

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  4. Kevin C

Last night CNN Campbell Brown brow beats McCain spokesman about Palin's Foreign Policy experience. Can someone get me a video asking Obama people SAME question? Could HYPROCRACY be the word of the week CNN? As Rudy Guliani said last night "At least we got the order correct, the person with little Foreign Policy experience is on the bottom of the ticket, but the Democrats have the person with ZERO Foreign Policy experience at the TOP of the ticket"..Not counting the Barack "photo op" in Iraq, in which BTW he NEVER even met with the troops unless the cameras were running. WHY is the LEFT sooo SCARED of PALIN????? Surely even a left-wing blog like this can see through this nonsense.

September 3, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  5. lisa

She should say I'm withdrawing. This fraud has about 12 years of 'do nothing' experience. This woman delegates! America doesn't need you SP. Do us a favor..... go back to Alaska and raise your two younger daughters so they don't become pregnant!!

September 3, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  6. Anonymous

I think McCain made a big mistake this is called desperate. She choose to have this baby with down syndrome this poor little baby needs the care attention and most of all the love of a mother. It is a full time job having children and to have a child with down syndrome is a 100% commitment to that child. I don't beliveve she could be a fully commited VP and Mother to this child.

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  7. Chris- Hemet, Ca.

I agree with DMM, She'll say whatever they tell her to say. And if she got elected and something happened to McCain she'd run the country just like they tell her, and we wouldn't even know who "they" are!!

September 3, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  8. Ron

The real divided party

September 3, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  9. William, from Cali!

What she should say, she won't say; the networks like CNN would say:.........."Your comments are being moderated"!.........

September 3, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  10. michelle

I do not think she will be able to fool americans into thinking she can one day step in as President of the US, if something should happen to McCain. Peggy Noonan sais this was BS, and its over for the republicans! I agree with Peggy...and I am a democrat. She was the best speech writer the republicans had.....she knows McCains people blew it.

September 3, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  11. v.a

Obama says different things all the time but still manages to getaway because of his speaking tallents and the media which doesn^t criticize him...

September 3, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  12. Maureen

I'm not sure what she feels she "needs to say" , but I'm in Canada and I am tuned in to see. I bet she surprises and I am intrigued.

September 3, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  13. Cecil

Palin to hit hard, Tonight Let Her.

Sen. Obama Been Taking The Kitchen For !8 Months and Counting!

Where Still Here, Still Strong!

Palin Been At It For Four Days.

September 3, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  14. KB

The Republican Party is truly a disgrace. I WAS a staunch republican. I was the founder and president of my law school's republican organization. However, I will not be voting for the republican ticket this year. This party has lost all credibility. We are in a war that we do not need to be in, we have a huge deficit, gas prices have skyrocketed... shall I go on?

Now, they a put a woman on the ticket whose daughter is a "baby's mama". This is outrageous and what is more outrageous is how they are trying to spin this. I guess abstinence worked well for her. If McCain gets into office, we can look forward to another 4 more years of uselessness. We will be in WW 3 with Russia if McBush gets into office. If he does get into office, the people who voted for him deserve all the pain suffering that will come along with his presidency. This is NOT the republican party that I used to know and love.

As much as it pains me, I will be voting for Obama/Biden. This madness, recklessness and arrogance has got to stop!!!

September 3, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  15. Tom

Forget the politics. Most any politician, regardless of party, race, or gender, would not look to seek higher office when their immediate family includes a four-month-old baby with Downs Syndrome and a seventeen-year-old daughter who is pregnant. If there is any more appropriate time for a politician to remove themselves from consideration for the cliched "family concerns," it is difficult to imagine. Governor Palin, by her very acceptance of the Republican nomination for Vice President, has told the American people all we need to know about her: she is irresponsible.

September 3, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  16. Oh Boy!!??

She won't SAY anything. She will spew an attck ridden, snappy, from the "I am woman, hear me roar" side of the speech writers pen.

Although
    I've been to Canada, indeed!

I'm close to Russia.

That story about me having an affair is a lie.

Alaska newspapers say that I only have 4 kids and my daughter is preggy with her second kid is not true.

Those would be good.

Maybe the song " I got no strings to hold me down" Palinochio

September 3, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  17. Ray

Kevin C, Are you serious? You have not heard Obama answer questions about Foreign policy? Maybe you should educate yourself before you post you views on here trying to sway others. You are either mis informed or just have an agenda. I saw what Campbell did and my question is why did the man not answer the question? I think you know the answer to that. And what's worse, McCain is using this to back out of a Larry King appearance.
    And BTW, Obama agreed to be on Bill OReily's show tomorrow night and he will not back out, crying like McCain has done!

September 3, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  18. Lisa, MD

I just read this please see this.

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

Is this for real or what

lol

September 3, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  19. chas alabama

She is just going to do the only thing republicans can do, try to go after Obama, nothing about America.

September 3, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  20. Donna from Colorado Springs

What she says and what she needs to say will be vastly different. Being a staunch republican, I know she will take swipes at Obama while pretending to act like a lady. Obama on the otherhand, as well as Biden, will conduct themselves with dignity. That is as long as she doesn't get down and dirty. Then, all bets will be off the table. She really doesn't want to challenge Obama or Biden on their knowledge of the government. She will look like the fool that she is.

September 3, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  21. SONNIE2

LISTEN EVERYONE THE WORD EXPERIENCE IS JUST A COVER UP
    FOR THE WORD RACISM AND SEXISM. IF MR OBAMA WAS A WHITE
    MAN WITH THE INFLUENCE HE CAST ON AMERICA THEY WOULD
    HAIL HIM THE NEXT J.F.K;THERE WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM
    WITH EXPERIENCE.IF SARAH PALIN WAS A MAN AND IN THE SAME POSITION THAT SHE IS RIGHT NOW.THEY WOULD SAY JOHN
    MC CAIN IS OLD SO THIS YOUNG MAN IS A GREAT PICK
    AMERICA IS A COUNTRY RACIST NOT EVERYONE. BUT THE
    MAJORITY BOTH WHITE AND BLACK !!!!!!!!!GOD HELP US ALL

September 3, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  22. Concerned Canadian

But here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion - I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country."

What a hypocrit! Someone who can dish out critism and policies that are discriminatory, yet can't handle the media calling her a bad parent. Boo-hoo Miss Palin. You can serve the people of your country by dropping out of the presedential race. What are you going to do when the media of other countries attack your dated and discriminatory policies. Americans need to realize that the fundamental values of the Republican Party are oppressive and built on a culture of conspiracy, fear, and religious beliefs that no longer stand up in our "modern" society. Thankfuly, I live in Canada where we have a Charter of Rights and Freedoms that holds government accountable for their actions. ZEITGEIST! Watch it people!

September 3, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  23. Cin

Sarah Palin is a heartbeat away from the presidency, IF McCain would be elected. This is a problem.

She might have “executive” experience, as she is governor of a state—but as someone from a low population state, that is nothing compared to being governor or serving in public capacity in a large population state. The mayor of Austin Texas or Columbus Ohio “governs” more people than the governor of Alaska.

This is the big leagues—and the stakes are very high—our lives and the lives of many peoples of the world. This is not about her being a woman. This is all about is she ready to lead one of the larger countries in the world at a time when our foreign relations are very complex. I find her selection insulting to women—is this the best woman candidate the Republican party has? Shame on McCain for not selecting a Republican woman who would have brought true credentials to a ticket for President and Vice President of the United States.

September 3, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |