September 3rd, 2008

Analysis: What Palin needs to say

Sarah Palin takes center stage at the Republican convention Wednesday night.
Sarah Palin takes center stage at the Republican convention Wednesday night.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - In what is expected to be one of the most dramatic moments of the convention, Republican vice presidential pick Sarah Palin takes the stage Wednesday night to introduce herself to the country.

In just days, the Alaska governor has gone from a little-known politician to one of the most talked about women in the country, after being named to the GOP ticket and after news broke of her teen daughter's pregnancy.

Palin's address marks her chance to define herself to the American public and prove that she has the knowledge and judgment to sit down the hall from a 72-year-old president should John McCain be elected.

"I think this is her grand opportunity," said David Gergen, a former presidential adviser and CNN's senior political analyst. "It's an opportunity to introduce herself to American voters who have only heard a few things about her, barely saw her on Friday, and now have heard a lot of rumors and controversy."

A top aide to Palin said the Republican vice presidential candidate will highlight her record as a governor and mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, and will also call for reform in Washington in her speech Wednesday.

Full story

1. oh my

what can she say? i want to apologize first to my family and to America...good bye

September 3, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  2. longhairs for obama

she should vote for polar bears ,not getting them extinkted.

September 3, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  3. Virginia Voter

There isn't much she can say, really. The writing's on the wall.

September 3, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  4. JM from SC

"I resign!"

September 3, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  5. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Analysis: What Palin needs to say:

She should say my family needs me I am going to withdraw my name from the VP spot. I love my family more than I love political ambition.

If she does that I will give this woman two thumbs up!

September 3, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  6. JustMyObservation

Any Hillary supporter who votes for McCain, was never a Hillary supporter. Furthermore, any "true" Hillary supporter that votes for McCain is a racist.

September 3, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  7. McCain=Bush, 8 is enough

The only thing I want to hear from her is "I am withdrawing my name as vp candidate because my special needs child, and my family needs me right now, they only have one mother and I will run for office again when I my kids are more self-sufficient."

Family values, all talk and no action.

September 3, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  8. vh

she needs to say. thanks, but no thanks. dems 08

September 3, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  9. Tess

All she needs to say is "back off Obamites. I am not Hillary and you will not tear me down!"

September 3, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. JOE KILOZ

M C C A I N---A N D--–I----W A N T---T O --–W O R K--

H A R D---T O--–H E L P----T H E----M I D D L E--–

C L A S S--–B Y--–F O S T E R I N G--–E C O N O M I C-–

O P P O R T U N I T Y--–C R E A T I N G--–J O B S--–A N D---

E N E R G Y---I N D E P E N D E N C E

September 3, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  11. Phil Newton from Murphy, Oregon

Job #1: Avoid opening mouth and vomiting on shoes.

The way the GOP has dumbed down expectations, anything else will be considered brilliant.

September 3, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  12. Shari, NY

What can she say? You mean what WILL she say – which is what they tell her to say, and that's all I have to say. Good night!

September 3, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  13. Mysogonists for Obama

She needs to say that the DNC is a bunch of women-hating good old boys with double standards.

September 3, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  14. Michele

She could say she knew how to cure cellulite and I wouldn't vote for her!! Snooze.

September 3, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  15. Tracy

She needs to say that while an honor to be asked, due to family and other (political) obligations and issues that have come to light, I need to respectivly resign.

That's what she needs to say but it isn't going to happen.

This is a disaster waiting to happen.

We don't need 4 more years of this.

8 is enough!

September 3, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  16. Jason

"'Everyone in the staff has fallen in love with her,' said this aide."

That's sexist. No one would say that about Obama because he is a man.

September 3, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  17. What she needs to say...

"Im not qualified for this ,and with my newborn and my teen daughter, I need to refocus to my family, and the values I say are so dear, and withdraw from the VP position."

September 3, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  18. Peter of Oregon

So... McCain's campaign wants us to base our approval of Palin on a single speech she makes tonight and not her qualifications and policy positions?

September 3, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  19. Chris

Yes, maybe she can tell us why she is interfering in the ethics investigation that is being conducted against her.

September 3, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  20. Lesley, Lighthouse Point, FL

This is outrageous. She will talk about being a mayor of a tiny little country town like that has anything to do with running the most powerful country in the world?? She hasn't even been the governor of this small state for two years. This is a joke.

September 3, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  21. Reflect2020

She can be honest and say:

I’m a hypocrite. Do what I say and not what I do. So I fit in this party very well.

September 3, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  22. MARY,FLORIDA

Why am I here again?Oh ya thats right Im here for nomination of VP.What dose the VP do anyways?

September 3, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  23. True Republican

How about explaining how she raised her daughter up to become yet another statistic of teenage, unmarried pregnancy! I was all for McCain and have voted GOP for year, but this is just too much. Sorry. No GOP vote from this solid Republican this year.

September 3, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  24. Chris

What she needs to say? What she needs to say is she is not qualified for this job!!! She is a pawn in a political game that she should have never got involved in. She has put her family last for some lime light in the aspirations of greatness of a Napoleon complex little man.
    McCain is comfortable with her because he is slightly taller than she is. I mean really how akward would it have been to see him and let say Mit on the stage. LOL
    Trust me this little man knows what he is doing this for. LOL

September 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. shadowgovernment

What could possibly be said that hasn't been said already?

September 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |