September 3rd, 2008

Analysis: What Palin needs to say

Sarah Palin takes center stage at the Republican convention Wednesday night.
Sarah Palin takes center stage at the Republican convention Wednesday night.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - In what is expected to be one of the most dramatic moments of the convention, Republican vice presidential pick Sarah Palin takes the stage Wednesday night to introduce herself to the country.

In just days, the Alaska governor has gone from a little-known politician to one of the most talked about women in the country, after being named to the GOP ticket and after news broke of her teen daughter's pregnancy.

Palin's address marks her chance to define herself to the American public and prove that she has the knowledge and judgment to sit down the hall from a 72-year-old president should John McCain be elected.

"I think this is her grand opportunity," said David Gergen, a former presidential adviser and CNN's senior political analyst. "It's an opportunity to introduce herself to American voters who have only heard a few things about her, barely saw her on Friday, and now have heard a lot of rumors and controversy."

A top aide to Palin said the Republican vice presidential candidate will highlight her record as a governor and mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, and will also call for reform in Washington in her speech Wednesday.

Full story

1. S. Boatman

She Needs To Say That She Doesnt Accept The Nomination Because She Needs A Few More Years To Build Her Resume!

September 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. Julie

She needs to say holy cow (or is it moose) I am in over my head!!!!
    Maybe by now she knows what the role of the VP is!!!
    I think she has many people telling her what to say, how to stand, what to look like!!!!

September 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  3. There's hope with Obama

This will be a joke...thank you so much, Republicans, for putting your foot in your own mouth....
    make way for some real change!!

September 3, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  4. undecided in ohio

she just needs to read the speech the bush advisors wrote for her...and look pretty

September 3, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  5. NotFallingInLine.org

I QUIT!

September 3, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. Peter of Oregon

She needs to say what she stands for, her policy positions.

September 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  7. All the Kings Horses and All the Kings Men Couldn't Put Fallen Little Miss Ice Chip Together Again!

The truth would help ...

September 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. Sherry, Atlanta

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU SAY. . . BUT WHAT YOU DO!

WHAT PALIN HAS DONE, IS QUESTIONABLE!

September 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  9. ron

Honestly, I really do not care what she or any other Repub has to say – I do not like there stgances on almost all of the issues and that why they do not get my vote. It has nothing to do with their plumbing etc.

September 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  10. victor,nj

I AM COMPLETELY CONVINCED THAT IF JUDAS WERE A REPUB. AND RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT. THE REPUB WOULD SPIN HIM AS TRUSTWORTHY, LOYAL AND PATRIOTIC.

September 3, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. Ex-PUMA 4 Obama

Well, that's all good and dandy that she will tell us about herself. And I feel she's going to do a wonderful job and excite the Republicans.

-BUT-

Why would the American people want to vote Republican again when the last eight years of Republican rule has been devastating.

The senseless war has caused our gas prices to soar, our American people can't keep food on the table, our children are having to return home from school due to increased tuition, our jobs have move to other countries, we are not safe in America anymore, ……..I can on and on.

Think about it…do we really want to risk the next four years like this? It's already going to take years to fix this mess and if the Republicans take office again we are just stupid Americans (sorry to say).

So would you rather vote for someone with a funny name that his mother gave him or do you want to continue living again for the next four years of living hell.

Sleep on it………I did.

Ex-PUMA 4 Obama

September 3, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  12. R.M.

Palin just needs to say one thing: "What the hell am I doing here? I QUIT!!"

September 3, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  13. DMM

She'll say whatever they told her to say. What will be interesting will be her first interview. Very dangerous for her.

September 3, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. McCain = Bush 3rd term

She's going to say a lot, but it's all a scam. The Republicans don't have one ounce of substance on their ticket. Not one ounce!

September 3, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  15. Colo Sprgs, CO

For the good of the party and our chances to win this year's election, I respectfully decline the nomination, and I urge you to pick Mitt Romney.

September 3, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  16. D

I wonder will she remember everything they told her to say. Talk about a crash course in politics. Makes you wonder about McCain's decision making ability.

September 3, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  17. Greg-Mpls

I humbly withdraw, so McCain has a remote chance

September 3, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  18. DIRTY OBAMA

This woman is so SPECIAL. Love ya Sarah!

September 3, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. CeeJay1

What Palin needs to say: "I respectfully decline the nomination."

September 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  20. Blunt Trauma

She needs to demonstrate that she is READY on Day 2.

We're not grading her on a curve ... this is the big leagues.

From her speech I want to know that she is superior to

Condi Rice
    Christine Whitman
    Rob Portman
    Tim Pawlenty
    Mitt Romney
    Mike Huckabee
    Kay Bailey Hutchinson
    Olympia Snowe

What is her approach to America's vulnerability to petro-dictators given our use of 25% of the worlds oil with only 3% of it's capacity?

You can't drill our way out of that so her pat answer about drilling in off shore and ANWAR ( which is opposite McCain's last position) won't make a difference.

What are the military implications of this, Ms. Alaska Ntional Guard Commander-in-Chief?

September 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  21. Patty, Big Bear, CA

What she needs to say is.....PSYCH!!!!

September 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  22. Concerned INDEPENDENT CT voter

Reform a washington that McCain has been such a great "leader/uniter" for almost 30yrs? & the one McCain thinks is good 90% of the time?

-V

ps. That Washington?

September 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  23. Mike Bulmer

@JOE KILOZ

Why do you post like that in every single article here? Is that how people really write?

September 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  24. ReaganRepub

Hmmm, she can say . . . uh, sorry, my unwed, pregnant daughter really needs me now and I have to raise my special needs child, I think Kay Bailey Hutchison is available.

I am so insulted by my party.

September 3, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  25. Ex-Republican for Obama

will she tell us about her desire to secede from the union?
    Will she tell us why she said 'no to the bridge to nowhere" but kept the money anyways?
    Will she tell us how she is for reform, but has hired her own lobbyists in washington and taken pork belly money?
    Or perhaps a bit of an explanation about the abuse of power?
    Maybe she can let us in on how she hates Big Oil...and introduce her hubby, the guy who works for Big Oil.
    Maybe she can show us her degree in Journalism, and woo us with how much that really means.
    Perhaps she can let us in on her views in regards to bringing up a family that has morals, such as no 'premarital sex'...because she's a family values type lady.

Maybe...but maybe she will mention Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama in her speech instead....That will show us what kind of character she has and what the true issues are indeed.

You be the judge.