September 3rd, 2008

Analysis: What Palin needs to say

Sarah Palin takes center stage at the Republican convention Wednesday night.
Sarah Palin takes center stage at the Republican convention Wednesday night.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - In what is expected to be one of the most dramatic moments of the convention, Republican vice presidential pick Sarah Palin takes the stage Wednesday night to introduce herself to the country.

In just days, the Alaska governor has gone from a little-known politician to one of the most talked about women in the country, after being named to the GOP ticket and after news broke of her teen daughter's pregnancy.

Palin's address marks her chance to define herself to the American public and prove that she has the knowledge and judgment to sit down the hall from a 72-year-old president should John McCain be elected.

"I think this is her grand opportunity," said David Gergen, a former presidential adviser and CNN's senior political analyst. "It's an opportunity to introduce herself to American voters who have only heard a few things about her, barely saw her on Friday, and now have heard a lot of rumors and controversy."

A top aide to Palin said the Republican vice presidential candidate will highlight her record as a governor and mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, and will also call for reform in Washington in her speech Wednesday.

Full story

1. Frankie

McCain will blame the media for some of Palin's problems. The Republicans do not like when their candidate is under scrutiny Obama put up with it for months and months.

McCain's campaign needs to quit whining. They are a campaign of whiners.

Take it from me, a woman, if she is a woman, she can handle it. It will get a lot rougher, get used to it. Take it like a woman. If she wants the job, she needs to be tough. She has only taken a small amount of national scrutiny compared to Hillary.

September 3, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  2. Griff

CNN? When do you accept a females; point of view. I am now reading a book of an English Lady. "Catch me a Nightingale". Joan Ash. You should read it.. Women!!! Why do they keep walking away??? Read Joan Ash's Biography..

September 3, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  3. EL

In regards to the "Experience" issue of Obama and Palin, there are two major differences. Barack Obama won the democratic primary because millions of Americans voted for him and have confidence in his ability to be an outstanding leader. Sarah Palin was chosen by ONE man who may not have chosen the best person from his party to be on the GOP ticket. Obama has shown that he has people working with him that are competent and helped him manage a successful campaign with hundreds of millions of dollars donated to it, to me this is an indication of how he will pick his Cabinet. McCain's choice of Sarah Palin shows that clearly he did not think through his decision. Senator McCain served our country proudly and was blessed to come back in one piece, but everyone knows that that kind of truama always cause some type of flashbacks. I have heard through the media from people that know his, that he has had tempermental outburst on many diferent occasions. Now in the twilight of his years, do we really want him to be the one to answer the phone three o'clock in the morning?

September 3, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  4. Rochelle

I think that she needs to say I will be resending my bid for VP because I need to take care of my 4-5 month old child and perhaps save my two other daughters from getting pregnant out of wedlock and getting married first and finishing school. I truly need to be a stay at home mom and wife.

To be a VP I'd have to be away from home much more than now and that is truly a lot so, I'm backing down.

Proud and fulltime Mom with a Capitol M. I am not parttime.

Rochelle

September 3, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. Randy Baca

Bush has put this country in termoil and he realy thinks that he did a good job. Palin might be ok, however mckane is just like Bush, knowing that Mckane is going down the same road as Bush. Why would anyone vote for him? That to me is not in the best interest of our country. Evidentley Bush did not know what he was doing but he won because of popularity. that is what we are voting for ,popularity ,not a leader. Obama gave up alot to try and help the country, give him a chance.

September 3, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  6. Robert in Seattle

Oops or Uh-Oh come to mind...

Abuse of power?
    Pork for Wasilla and Alaska?
    Troopergate?
    Book banning?
    A.I.P.?
    Israel deserves terrorism?

How about, I respectfully decline your nomination...

Obama – Biden 08

September 3, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. sick n tired

She should tell the world that she was only chosen for one purpose. TO WIN UPSET HRC SUPPORTERS VOTES!! Oh and also that she's willing to pander her a$$ off all the way to end.

September 3, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  8. John Stevens

Amazing. When Republicans are asked about Palin's qualifications to be Vice President, let alone President if McCain kicks the bucket, they reply by saying Obama is not qualified and he's running for President.

So, in essence the braindead argument here is that since they think the Democrats are running what they think is a less than qualified candidate, it's ok fo the Republicans to foist a _totally_ unqualified candidate on the country.

This is the epitome of political stupidity.

September 3, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  9. NORA, FLORIDA

The TRUTH. THAT IS WHAT SHE NEEDS TO SAY. THE TRUTH. STOP LYING TO THE AMERICAN PEOLE.

September 3, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  10. Sue, Michigan

It's fine to say that the kids are off limits, but who is putting them out in public within the camera's view? Not the Democrats! The RNC set up that photo op with the hockey player and McCain today-stop blaming Obama for Palin's stupidity. I don't want to look at this kid who fills his blog with the F-word. I could care less if he has children by two girls...he insists he doesn't want any. Guess he got tangled up with the wrong girl. But then, he'll probably get to live in the VP mansion and have servants..not bad for a guy who hasn't finished high school. I think this IS an issue because who will be paying for child care and room and board for the happy little family? The taxpayers?
    Palin needs to go back to Alaska and return to national politics when she and her kids are grown up.

September 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  11. Maria

I can not wait for reporters to start counting how many hugs a day Sarah gets from John. Does he EVER greet her and NOT hug her? Let us not start any rumors here, but is it any wonder why Enquire and others aren't starting to talk about topics like that?

September 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  12. kentucky repuplicans

this is what she will say!!!!

i was miss alaska several years ago. i went to canada once
    and that is my foreign policy experience

oh by the way im unsder investigation!!!!

air head!!!!!!!

September 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  13. Democrat Voting For McCain !!!

Stay In Denial As Long As You Chose To . But Sarah Palin Has , And Will Keep Pulling Votes To John McCain's Base , I'm A Democrat Who Will Be Pulling The lever For McCain / Palin Ticket This Novenber . I Trust John McCain , And There Is Something Special About Sarah Palin , I can just feel it , She Has A Greatness About Her , I'm Voting My Gut Feeling , I'm Voting For John McCain / Sarah Palin President & Vice President Of The United States Of America 2008 !!! Maybe 2012 !!!!

September 3, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  14. TonyinKentucky

I'll listen but I have no idea what could be said, this woman has nothing beyond a NRA card in common with me.

I know that the reform talk is a joke because McCain has declared the election will not be about issues. I think they're just tossing verbiage around.

I also think the only reform they have interest in is corporate run, fascist, theocratic military junta.

No way, no how, NO MCCAIN!!!!!

September 3, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  15. NOBAMA_NEVER

Its pathetic to see the hypocritic dems and nasty leftists to attack Palin.
    Its even disgusting to see how media attacks anyone who points out statements made by Michelle Obama ( i am proud of my country MO), and they giddily thrash palin and her teenage daughter.
    Shame on you CNN and Campbell brown, wolf blitzer ! It shows how America is never gonna be ready for a female politician for a higher office!
    She has more experience than Obama, and she is running for VP!!!
    CNN has lost my respect with their biased, downright anti palin coverage and their "analysis".

September 3, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  16. Melissa for Hillary

My daughter and my new born really need my support and care. I will resign

September 3, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  17. Kevin C

CNN refuses to post my comment because it is not favorable to their network and biased crew of liberla reporters. So go to Fox web site and blogs and read...."There is nothing more hilarious then a bunch of WHINNING “ANGRY” LIBERALS. ......."

September 3, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  18. Barbara

I have a 60 year old cousin that has been in Alaska since he was 18, and from what he tells me, it's all about to hit the fan.

This is better than Sex in the City !!!!!!!

September 3, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  19. Silent John

Can we get rid of joe kiloz and WOWOW... annoying as hell!!

September 3, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  20. Feet on the Ground

This is beginning to sound a lot like George W. Bush. "I looked Putin in the eye and I saw his soul. He is a good person and I trust him". Need I say more? Also, what is this big expectation of Palin's speech tonight? Every single word is being put in her mouth and she is being trained like a circus horse. Why would you expect to change your opinion based on what she says?

September 3, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  21. ANAG LOS ANGELES, CA

Nothing she can say ...game over.

September 3, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  22. pete

Palin should say. I am honored to be selected by McShame but, I humbly regret that I can not accept the nomination as his VP. I think that is what she should say. I bet she didn't think that the media would come at her so hard but, that is what you get when you run for public office especially for one as important as the VP. Palin has a beautiful family and they can not accept all the stress and rumor that are going on about them now. We see what happen to families once their lives become public. Save your family and don't suffer them to go through all this for McShame. He is trying to be slick but, the people are not falling for it. They are already hip to the republicans tactics.

September 3, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  23. @3401

"Um... what does a teleprompter do?"

September 3, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  24. judy in PA

I want to hear about the issues and where they stand. Stop slinging mud and stop reporting the mud slinging and talk about the issues.

September 3, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  25. GatorGab

Wow, the socialists are out in full force tonight. You might want to ask the dems if they properly vetted Obama before allowing him to run! The same inexperience issues most of you raise apply EXACTLY to Obama! What a bunch of hypocrites you people are! If Palin is unfit to be VP, then Obam is unfit to be the President. And the stories about Ayres are going to continue to come out as the press continues to "vet" Obama. I prefer to keep my money in my pockets, not have them distributed to lazy, shiftless bums, thanks you very much!

VOTE McCAIN / PALIN!