September 3rd, 2008

Ben Stein: 'Floored' by McCain's veep pick

CNN

Ben Stein: Palin a 'peculiar VP choice'

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Palin? Palin?

Ben Stein of “Ferris Bueller” fame is beside himself over Sen. John McCain’s choice for vice president.

“I’m confused and disturbed by the GOP choice of Sarah Palin,” the economist said Wednesday outside The CNN Grill at the Republican National Convention.

Stein was hoping for someone with more experience like Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who was considered to be on the shortlist of McCain’s potential running mates.

But don’t expect Stein to defect to the left.

“Obama doesn't have enough experience and Biden just isn't smart enough,” he said. "We need someone smart and we haven't had a smart president in a long time. Well, I guess Clinton was smart.

"I'm a Republican and hope McCain wins, but I'm just floored they picked Sarah Palin."

Stein is an author and former speechwriter for Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford,

Filed under: CNN Grill
  1. Roney Ohio

hahahahaha you will see when debate happens Biden will destroy Mcdrill and Plin both togather. Obama should stay home enjoy a hot tea.

September 4, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  2. Jesse from Maryland

As much as I dislike Ben Stein, I have to agree that Sarah Palin was not a smart choice for McCain's VP. Ben Stein is a boring, ignorant joke. Who is he to have his name in any election? But once again I agree that Sarah Palin is an even bigger joke.

September 4, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  3. wannabeobamagirl

speech writer, yes. but, don't forget to add "game show namesake and participant" to his resume. thanks.

September 4, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  4. Hillary Supporter

This speech was written by Bush's speech writer. Thats change for you.

September 4, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  5. tedious898

Obama supporters...we are soooo screwed.

I think Obama has always run a respectful campaign. He's not ready to deal with somebody as nasty as Palin.

Don't get me wrong...Obama can throw a punch. But this is america and he's still black and Palin is white. That simply won't fly!

Looks like 4 years of the same after this lady goes on a destroy Obama tour for the next 60 days. We need Hillary to tear this woman a new one

September 4, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  6. SLH

She had the spotlight on her to "introduce herself," and she chooses to act like a stand up comedian at some seedy after-hours spot. Not such a great first impression...guess that speaks to her morals and values as well. But she is "forgiven." Everyone should go check out her pastor and church. wasillaag.org

September 4, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  7. S. Boatman

Deep Down You Know This Pick Cost Him The Election! Many Others Know It Also!

September 4, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  8. Dell

Ben I think Obama and Biden are smart. Since you said "we need someone smart... ", why not vote for Obama instead.

September 4, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  9. April in Texas

Well I guess strange things can happen as I am floored by the VP pick too and I dont think I have ever agreed with Ben Stein.

Obama/Biden 08

September 4, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  10. Hillary Supporter

This was a joke right? What about the issues facing this country? This whole night was about the boogie man.

September 4, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  11. Joe

Atleast Ben Stein is a man of reason. His game show was pretty interesting. It would be refreshing to see him support Obama, but atleast he sees cynicism when it exists. I hope I spelled that right.

September 4, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  12. observer

As an outside objective observer, I am curious as to why there is not more talk about hypocricsy in Politicians. They make one argument and then act in a way that contradicts their own argument. I dont believe people should give praise for speeches that are personal attacks. We should encourage people to put forward there positions in a non-confromtational way, otherwise people will be distracted while a better future or a well thought out choice is stolen.

September 4, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  13. Jeff

win ben stein's money..... enough said

September 4, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  14. LT for Obama

Well, Ben, you just seem to not be able to find happiness anywhere. I hope you find it and soon because lately you have just sounded angry and bitter. Yes, I said, it and would say it again. BITTER, BITTER, BITTER.

September 4, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  15. Tracy

At least someone has some sense.

*sigh*

September 4, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  16. 3McY

HE AND EVERY ONE ELSE IS DUMBFOUNDED ON HOW THIS HAPPEN .IT IS A SHAME.

September 4, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  17. fa

You are right Mr.Stein. I am also floored and believe she will flop. After listening to the speech she delivered she went as far as mocking her opponent. Mr.Obama and Mr. Biden have been gracious to her. She just opened the doseof Pandora. I wish her luck

September 4, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  18. CeeJay1

I'm as floored as Ben Stein. Palin is definitely NOT the person I feel should be a heartbeat away from the Presidency (esp. given McCain's age & health problems.) Her sarcasm and "down home" humor about pit bulls with lipstick rang a little to close to the truth of her nomination.

September 4, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  19. Houston, Kansas

Growing up in a very patriotic, populist family from western Kansas, I grew up feeling an obligation, and obliging, to watch both conventions during every election cycle then through now. During Gov. Palin's speech, I felt like I was back in my 1970"s elementary school years–the Culture Wars–that I really thought were behind us. Geeze–I appreciate the hope Obama brings–I appreciate John McCain's spirit of independence–I both abhor and love the fact we have two great people with different stories running at this time since we can't choose both. But bringing back the Culture Wars? Come on–that dumbs down the whole process and gives us what we had 30 years ago. We need to be better because the times demand it.

September 4, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  20. Ashley

If his qualification is smart for president, that is Obama. Obama may not have as much experience but do you really want Palin to be running the country if something was to happen to McCain??? Talk about experience

September 4, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  21. Andrew

Isn't this the guy who believes in intelligent design? Palin rocked tonight. CNN commentators will do everything they can to make her look like a word that ryhmes with 'itch,' but I thought she really showed she has the knowledge, toughness, insight, and EXPERIENCE to be VP, or yes, even President of the United States.

September 4, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  22. ex-republican for obama / biden

this stooge for the neo-con masters is rightfully pissed

as his candidate, lieberman, got dissed by evangelical anti-semites

who parade as zionist allys to the zionist jews.

now do you understand why that's called an unholy alliance?

you are beat by your own dirty game, LOL

September 4, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  23. rhoward

Oh, no, Ben Stein isn't falling for the Sarah Palin lovefest. First smart thing he's said in a long time. Of course by tomorrow, he'll be towing the party line about how great and qualified she is.

September 4, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  24. Rob indetroit

really how could you tell.

September 4, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  25. Barbara

OMG – she made my husband grab between his legs – and tomorrow he WILL switch from a 30 year history of voting repuke to Dem – we've fought for years (thank GOD IN HEAVEN FOR PALIN)

What a blessing she is

Obama/Biden '08 and forever against the hate- and fear-mongers!!!!!

September 4, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |