September 3rd, 2008

Ben Stein: 'Floored' by McCain's veep pick

CNN

Ben Stein: Palin a 'peculiar VP choice'

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Palin? Palin?

Ben Stein of “Ferris Bueller” fame is beside himself over Sen. John McCain’s choice for vice president.

“I’m confused and disturbed by the GOP choice of Sarah Palin,” the economist said Wednesday outside The CNN Grill at the Republican National Convention.

Stein was hoping for someone with more experience like Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who was considered to be on the shortlist of McCain’s potential running mates.

But don’t expect Stein to defect to the left.

“Obama doesn't have enough experience and Biden just isn't smart enough,” he said. "We need someone smart and we haven't had a smart president in a long time. Well, I guess Clinton was smart.

"I'm a Republican and hope McCain wins, but I'm just floored they picked Sarah Palin."

Stein is an author and former speechwriter for Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford,

Filed under: CNN Grill
  1. Anonymous

Ben Stein is funny. I wonder what he thought about her speech.

September 4, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  2. Martha Deal

I have been a Democrat since I became a US Citizen. No more!!! Democrats did not deliver for me. they chose the wrong candidate. Sarah Palin meets my needs. I love this country and she is for the people. the Republicans have delivered. Go Mc Cain and Palin. When do I get my yard sign? I am going to get my family to vote McCain/Paling. They trust me. And Mrs. Paling...Congratulations on your grandchild.

September 4, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  3. Tim

Ben Stein is a reasonable Republican. One who doesnt buy into the crazy social crap that people like Palin spew. Congrats to Stein for speaking his mind.

September 4, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  4. ASL3676

Ben Stein is calling Joe Biden stupid. Talk about egotistical nonsense. Stein has lived off his inheritance and his fathers name for the past 30 years. What a fool....

September 4, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  5. Adam

The Ben Stein who believes the Earth is 6000 years old wants a smarter president?

September 4, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  6. Vanessa From New York

Obama is very smart man, You dont graduate from Columbia and Harvard Law school, being stupid. Obama is very very smart choice

September 4, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  7. Adam, Plano, TX

and you think McCain is smart ben? LOL!!!! gimme a minute, i just fell out of my chair laughing. you don't think Obama has the experienced, but you follow it up with "we need someone smart and we haven't had a smart president in a long time", do you think Obama is some kind of dummy? get real ben.

September 4, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  8. Adrienne

Obama is very smart and Biden is not stupid. Biden is a worker. that is better than bush who tunes things out he does not want to hear. John Mccain is even more stupid than Bush. He is also a loose cannon.

September 4, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  9. JB

If he's lookin' for "smart" he certainly won't be voting for Mr. 894.

September 4, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  10. concerned American

Anyone, anyone...?
    McCain, anyone, McCain...Palin...anyone?

September 4, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  11. Ashu Rathor

Mr. Stein I am floored too. I can imagine her walking all over me with no remorse and walk all over the will of American people. She has no respect for what country thinks and will do anything to win a war. Very typical of dictators. She gave no plan and was full of mudslinging a very typical mean way of going around in a small town politics. Very scary speach.

September 4, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  12. Peter

I may disagree w/ Ben Stein on his political viewpoints... but at least he's honest (rather than the spin doctors all over the news).

September 4, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  13. Adam Habib, Dallas, TX

Why do we see this clown all the time in CNN?

September 4, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  14. baffled

I feel this was a risky decision making Palin VP and her comments tonight is going to bite her in the butt. She put her foot in her mouth alittle to much tonight.

September 4, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  15. Barbara

McCain.s choice of Sarah Palin has baffled the Republican Party whether they say it publicly or not. They are stunned. This is not the family values example the conservatives have been touting for the last eight years. The many comments about her 17 year old daughter's unwed pregnancy have forgotten the word – responsibility. Parents are to be held responsible for the actions of their children.
    Now, when have the Republicans won an election on the real issues. They continually spin narrow minded issues that have nothing at all to do with empowering people. They depend on a poorly read and informed electorate. Hopefully this time they are wrong. If the country is paying close attention they will not allow gay marriage, pow, or abortion to guide their decision. The economy, energy prices, forclosures,.evironment, veterans benefits and a war fought because the Bush administration lied to Congress is more important than a lady from Alaska or a man who helped to promote the state of hoplessness that so many Americans are experiencing.

September 4, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  16. Cyrus

I expect nothing less from a speechwriter for Nixon.

September 4, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  17. deroy

hey ben, at least she's not another senator like biden, mccain, obama, clinton, kennedy, kerry, edwards, and the endless list of washington well known failures oh yeah mr gobal warming, and lieberman.

September 4, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  18. Dave

duhhh....Ferris man...take another day off. You totally missed this one.

September 4, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  19. mike

When you have even right-wing loonies like Ben Stein doubting your judgment... what do you think centrists are thinking right now?

September 4, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  20. fafa

GOP 2004: veterans are losers, it is OK to trash them!
    GOP 2008: veretans are heroes, let’s elect them!

GOP 1996: extramarital sex is a horrible SIN!
    GOP 2008: extramarital sex is OK if one of ours is doing it.

They just can’t possibly believe that GOD actually exists, otherwise they would be too scared of HIM making these flip-flops on moral issues.

September 4, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  21. Texico From Mexico

What?? Give me a break! You are a clown Stein, do you know anything about speech writing? She did not even write this hate filled speech herself and had to be coached how to read it! Obama WROTE HIS OWN SPEECH one that rivals King and Kennedys! Hers was not even in the same league...every Republican would also have to admit that!

September 4, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  22. Karen - Missouri

Yeah...and Nixon and Ford were lousy presidents too

September 4, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  23. dl

Well surprise surprise...another man who does not get it...
    Good grief...

September 4, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  24. DK(@)AZ

Go back to nowheresville Ben

September 4, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  25. Angel

Ben, no one is listening to your opinion.

September 4, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |