(CNN) - Sen. Joe Biden on Wednesday defended criticism of running mate Barack Obama’s Senate record while campaigning in the crucial battleground state of Florida.
“Barack has real experience,” the Democratic VP candidate said. “This guy could have written his ticket to go anywhere. Anywhere at all.”
Biden was speaking at a campaign event focused on the economy in Fort Myers, Florida and discuessed Obama’s stance on the war in Iraq, his work on ethics reform in the Senate, and his proposals on solving the energy crisis. Biden also explicitly dismissed Senator John McCain’s experience in the Senate.
“30 years of bad experience ain’t worthwhile experience,” he said. “You’re not going to take your car—you’re not going to take your car back to a mechanic who for 30 years in a row has screwed it up.”
Biden himself has spent 36 years in the Senate. McCain has worked in Congress since 1982, serving in the Senate since 1987.
Biden was specifically responding to comments McCain aide Rick Davis made to The Washington Post earlier this week when he predicted that this election will come down to each candidates' personas.
"This election is not about issues," Davis said to The Post. "This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates."
Biden sharply criticized that statement, citing the country's economic woes.
“Not about issues?” Biden said. “Well, let me tell you, that means to them this election is not about you being able to scrape up the tuition money to send your kid off to college this September. It's not about whether or not you're going to fill up your gas tank.”
I just came home from abroad. Who the hell is Sarah Palin? I can't leave the country for two weeks without the Repugs trying to further ruin my country.
Obama/Biden 08, 12
Can't wait till Biden really gets going – watch out!
"30 years of bad experience ain’t worthwhile experience"
You said it Joe!
I am not sure if Obama has the experience we really need. When was the last time he stalked his own food, killed it, and field dressed it? He also has an understanding of the constitution, and that can not be a qualification either since McCain's VP didn't even know the role of the VP.
Abby "Let's all question OBama – he seems to be a Fraud – he will never be elected. Did the DNC vet this guy????"
The American people choose Obama. I guess you forgot about democracy in your argument. McCain spoke about Obama's experience for months and the media bashed Obama and his wife. Now your mad for a week of Palin bashing. Some republicans and conservative radicals are scum. What happen to the moral right? Where is there outrage at her daughter. If Palin was a democrat they would say her family has no values. Palin's clear abuse of power would be all over fox news and Sean Hannity(a clear racist) would ripping her apart. By the way Obama has 8 years state legislature experience and 4 years senate experience. He also has clear judgement and organization skills because he helped american works unlike Palin or McCain.
Thank You Biden. We are tired of fear, war, terror and more war. We want to raise our kids and enjoy freedom and a good economy. Tired of republican tactics.
Why hasn't CNN posted the story about Palin's pet earmarks (over a million dollars worth) for Wasilla that were protested by John McCain?
If she claims to be a reformer, then why is there so much evidence our there that proves otherwise?
A false reformer with no experience.
Some FACTS about Ms. Palin:
1) Her husband was an active member of the Alaskan Independence Party, not once, but twice and she supported him both times. They want Alaska to secede from the U.S. and be it's own entity. I guess Sara thinks that if she succeeds she will, of course, run it.
2) Palin voted for the "Bridge to Nowhere", Sen. Ted Stevens' pork barrel project, before she voted against it. Stevens says he is totally innocent, however the FBI ahs taped recordings of Stevens on the phone with contractors and Steves has hired lawyers to try to keep the tapes from being admissible at trial. Sound innocent to you?
3) She is vehemently against sex education in the shools and says ABSTINENCE ONLY education. Perhaps she should have made that clearer to her daughter.
4) She voted for Pat Buchannan in 2000 and shares MANY of his views.
5) She met with, and hired lobbyists to try and secure $27 million dollars in pork barrel spending for her tiny town of only (50 employees), something McCain has proclaimed from day one he is against, but she was defeated.
6) Her husband has an arrest record for drinking and driving, but I guess that is something that is so common in the Bush family, and with republicans in general, that they probably didn't think that was important when selecting her.
7) She says God wanted the war in Iraq and that the U.S. should stay there.
8. She is currently under investigation to see if she abused the power of her office by having a State Commissioner fired for not firing her brother-in-law who was having marital problems with her sister.
9) McCain lied when he said that she had been vetted months ago. Fact is she was not vetted until the day before the announcement.
10) McCain lied when he said that he knew about her daughter's pregnancy a few months ago. Fact is, he just found out this past Saturday.
11) Her daughter's boyfriend said on his MySpace blog just yesterday, before it was removed, that he did NOT want children now, and I am just a redneck...I will kick butt.. What else is there to do in Alaska other than play hockey, fish and hunt, party, drink, do drugs and have lots of sex.
GOOD OLD REPUBLICAN FAMILY VALUES!
There are too many more things on the list to go on, but the inforamtion is right out there for anyone who cares to educate themselves about how dangerous McCain/Palin would be for this country.
Amen, Sen. Biden. I see who has the good judgment to pick a good VP and it wasn’t the Senator from AZ. Great judgment, real experience. Obama/Biden 08
Nothing new here..., just blowharded Biden making more two faced doofus comments about experience...
I AM DEMOCRAT AND WE ALL KNOW HE DOES NOT HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE BUT HE FOR SURE HAS JUDGMENT AND I APPLAUD THAT HOWEVER.
SARAH APPALIN HAS BACHELOR DEGREE DOE THAT QUALIFY FOR VP WITH ZERO EXPERIENCE
WE JUST NEED HER TO ANSWER QUSTIONS SPECIFICALLY THAT ALL I CANNOT BUY AN ITEM WITHOUT SEEN IT
SHE has foreign relation experience because alaska is next to russia"
She has a pastor who dams Jews and says "god will punish the US of A"
She is under state investigation.
She worked for the criminal Alascan politicians in a 527.
She has ties to the Alaska Independence Party.
This is supposed to be a "faux media scandal"? The pick of this person is the ture scandal
she has foreign relation experience because alaska is next to russia"
You go, Joe!
I couldn't agree with you more. Keep them on point. Hold them accountable.
You go, Joe! NEPA loves its native son. And Obama, who actually thinks before he leaps (unlike some Presidential nominees I know).
Obama/Biden – good judgment, careful consideration, thoughtful policy, REAL American values, excellent leadership.
Didn't McCain say at the outset of the campaign that "This campaign is going to be about the issues"? I think the one thing this election has taught us - Republicans can say anything, no matter how ridiculous or untrue, with a completely straight face.
The republicans should hire the guy that makes fries at the Mcdonalds in Anchorage. He can be secretary of state. The Paper boy in Juneau can be Attorney General.
i hope that you two win......McCain/Palin scare the bejesus out of me
Oh how I miss Tim Russert, Gov. Palin should sit down with Tim Russert for just one hour forget the speeches.
The GOP is looking for a personal vote for John McCain — putting aside policy, and the blotched record of the Bush administration, if McCain is elected America will officially become a “banana republic” to be ruled by a small, self-elected, wealthy and corrupt clique.
Just use their words in an ad. Does Rick Davis think Americans are stupid?
Then why he picked you with 36 years of bad experience? Because he knows he is one of the smooth talkers in US history.
The radical right open mouth and inserts foot! This is not about issues no it is not about issues to the radical right it is only about issues to those of us that care about this country. These radical right wing nuts jobs only care what other are doing in there personal lives they could care less if the country is being sold off to china. They could care less that men and women are dying in a war that never should have been authorized. to them it is more important that men are not allowed to sleep with men, we teach are children that science is evil, and women do not have the brains to make informed confident choices about there own body they need the government to tell them what is best.
Thank God it's Wednesday. I can watch the "Greatest American Dog", "Project Runway", etc. That will give me something to do besides watch a bunch of old geezers try to pretend the last 8 years haven't been a disaster.
The John McCain of 2000 would not be buddies with the John McCain of 2008. I don't know which persona we are talking about?
Look a little closer at Palin's "reform" record people. The thruth is she was one of the worst pork barrel spenders out there and she was for the bridge to nowhere before….then she was against it later. I am okay with spending money on government programs we need – better education, healthcare, etc…. but Palin used way too much government spending for the size of her town honestly.
I just don't think her actions as a mayor and governor match with what her speeches are saying.
CNN "Palin's maverick trail
When she played basketball in high school, Sarah Palin, the soon-to-be Republican vice presidential nominee, earned the nickname "Sarah Barracuda" for her fierce competitiveness. In the 21 months she has served as governor of Alaska, no one is suggesting she's lost her fighting edge. full story"
Thats some really BIASED MEDIA REPORTING!
Pathetic! Face it...Sarah Palin is unfit to run period!
McSame and his cheerleader will get eaten alive by the facts.
Amen Biden. Obama has more than experience, he has the judgment it takes to be president.