September 3rd, 2008

CNN Poll: Obama widening lead in battleground states

Obama is up in key battleground states.
Obama is up in key battleground states.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - A new poll suggests that Barack Obama is widening his lead over John McCain in two battleground states but indicates the race is dead even in Ohio, the state that decided the last presidential election.

In a CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corp. survey out Wednesday afternoon, 55 percent of Iowa registered voters who were questioned said that Obama, D-Illinois, is their choice for president, with 40 percent backing McCain, R-Arizona.

That’s more than double the lead that Obama had in a University of Iowa poll taken early last month.

"Obama is winning in all regions of the state - even in the western counties where George W. Bush beat John Kerry by 17 points," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Obama is winning rural voters in Iowa - not something you see in many other states."

Iowa’s caucuses kicked off the presidential primary season and launched Obama towards the Democratic presidential nomination.

“Iowa was Barack Obama's breakthrough state,” CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider said. “He won the Democratic caucuses with a powerful organization. John McCain barely competed in the Iowa Republican caucuses. He came in fourth. Obama retains a strong organization in Iowa, where McCain is just beginning to get started.”

It appears to be a similar story here in Minnesota, where the Republicans are holding their national convention this week.

The poll indicates that Obama has a 12-point lead over McCain, 53 percent to 41 percent. That’s up slightly from a 10-point lead Obama held in a Humphrey Institute survey taken last month.

"It's important to note that today's polls don't reflect any boost McCain might get from the GOP convention, because nearly all the interviews were done before the festivites started in Saint Paul," Holland said. "This could be Obama's high-water mark in those states."

It looks like a very different story in Ohio, which has 20 electoral votes up for grabs.

President Bush’s narrow victory in Ohio four years ago clinched his reelection. It looks like it could be just as tight this time around in Ohio. The poll suggests he has a 2-point lead over McCain, 47 percent to 45 percent, which is a virtual tie when taking into account the survey’s 3.5 percentage-point sampling error.

So why’s Ohio different that Iowa and Minnesota?

“In Iowa and Minnesota, white voters are backing Obama,” Schneider said. “In Ohio, white voters are supporting McCain. What about those blue-collar white voters that were so important for Clinton in Ohio? They're pretty solidly for McCain.”

The CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corp. poll was taken August 31-September 2, with 828 registered votes in Iowa, 742 registered voters in Minnesota, and 685 registered voters in Ohio questioned by telephone.

1. georgia

McSame & camp are using the same smoke screen tactics used to get the great puvar,W ,into office twice : fool us once,shame on you..fool us twice ,shame on us.....WE get it !!!! Americans on the whole are not as stupid or bigoted as the Repugs think or need us to be !!
    The time is now!!!! = Obama / Biden 08 !!!!!!!!

September 3, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. Check your papers

I heard this on the radio today when a voter wanted to make sure she was register to vote. Well, come to find out she was not.

Please blog, alert others to make sure they are register.

To make sure they are in the right district before it get to late.

We need no problems at the poll.

Yes We Can Do This!!!!!

September 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Ben

I cant imagine american vp job requires such incompetent resume as Sarah has! I am deeply disappointed with McCain's choice and judgement. Is this the best he can do!!

This will go down in history as the worst choice republican party has ever made.

Common...Sarah for VP...its a laughing stock..IF McCain thinks he can woo HRC voters...he should realise that there is a ocean of a difference and her supports arent fools.

GO OBAMA/BIDEN

September 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. T REICH

THIS IS REALLY GETTING SCARY!

I THOUGHT WE (THE PEOPLE) REALLY DID WANT COMPETENT AND EXPERIENCED PEOPLE TO LEAD THIS COUNTY. IT'S UNBELIEVABLE! WHAT A FOOL. I GUESS WE WILL NEVER LEARN. THE SHEEP ARE AT IT AGAIN.

THANKS

September 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. marc

Not surprising after seeing a sea of white at the RNC. Who are they kidding? Same ole same ole...

September 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  6. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

END THE DRAMA, VOTE OBAMA!

NO HOW, NO WAY, NO MCCAIN!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

YES WE CAN!

September 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. The Artful Dodger

McCain picked Palin sans research. What will he do when he gets into a scuffle with Russia?

September 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. maurice

I hope that the media's is not dissuaded from their just line of questioning regarding Mrs. Palin's experience and policy positions due to charges of sexism. It is no more sexist to question Mrs. Palin's experience than it was racist for the McCain campaign to question Barak Obama's.

Most women and other minorities want equality, not favoritism. As a candidate, she should be subjected to the same type of questions as her male counterparts. It is equally ridiculous to suggest that any women is qualified for the Presidency as it is to suggest that no woman is qualified for that position.

September 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  9. Gaffer in Dover, NH

I'm not sexist. I know I'm not. I have an incredibly strong mother, a wife who takes no crap, and would have voted for Hillary if she had won the primary.

But I have this visceral reaction to Sarah Palin, emotional, like a bias.

I think I figured out what it is. I don't like her. No, I don't trust her. She strikes me as the person who looks nice and says the right things, and wins the small town popularity contests, but has no actual skills or talent. You know, we all grew up with the type, not even a specific gender, and we let them have their way because in the small circles we used to travel, it didn't really matter or we just didn't want to fight about it.

But this time it does matter, and all that pent up "wanted to say something about the phony but didn't" energy is bursting through. I'm not sure everyone feels this way, but I'm pretty sure that how I do.

And this time I'm willing to fight.

September 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. Rodger

This democratic win will exceed the margin Goldwater lost by.

September 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Mad

Oh my goodness- Obama leading in a Democratic state
    Is it possible!

September 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. Suzy from Ohio

There once was a woman named Palin
    Whose background was made up of failin'
    After two hours vetted
    McCain's veep selected
    And now in the polls they're both trailin'

September 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  13. Willy

NO CONVENTION BOUNCE. BYE-BYE OBAMA!!!!!

September 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. Tyler from Ohio

The only republican defense of their unqualified VP candidate is "executive experience", but if that is the most important trait, then John McCain is also unqualified since he has the exact same amount of executive experience as Obama. Zero. However, I believe McCain is unqualified for other reasons, he has no integrity, a bad temper, poor judgment, and no plans to fix the economy.

September 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. West Virginia Democrat

These state polls are much more accurate at this state in the game, although I'm liking the current daily tracking polls, too. Iowa loves 'em some Barack!

And speaking of state polls, West Virginia is now considered a battleground state! We're finally waking up and embracing our Democratic heritage.

Obama/Biden '08: Issues Matter!

September 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. Carmen Colorado

The first most important decision for McCain and what does he come up with? Not ready to be the president if we see it correctly.

September 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Chanda in Cincinnati Ohio

Thank you John McCain. Democrats could not have picked a better VP choice for you if we tried!!!!!!!

To Democrat for John McCain: McCain pulled the interview because he was not ready to defend his VP choice. I mean he just got the lawyers out there to propely vett her.....oh wait....they said that was done weeks ago. So why did the team of lawyers go out there on Monday? You go ahead and vote for McCain. God help this country if he gets in office and croaks ( I mean he is 72 years old and has had 4 bouts with cancer) Do you really think Palin is ready to step into the presidency? If something happens to Obama...I know Joe is ready!!!

September 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. 7/10 WA

One good look at the homogeneity of the attendees of the RNC and Barack pulls further ahead.
    In case you haven't guessed by now, over half of America has had it up to here with the religious right.

7/10

September 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. Mr. Smith Former Republican

As a long time standing Republican...today I am donating 50.00 dollars to the Obama camp in hopes to help the lead continue. My vote, my wife's vote, and my 20 year old daughter who is not pregnant and finishing up college, we will all be voting for Mr. Obama. I'm a shamed of the way McCain mcsame is runnig his camp...babies, lies and more lies. I plead with all republicans young and old, black and white to join in and vote Obama. keep up the good work sir.

September 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  20. Mad

"""This is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the tide rolls in soon,,……………… The republicans think we are stupid………. WE AREN"T STUPID. . I am soo o sick this country is so Divided………………… I really am praying daily for there great men to be in the white house."""

--------–
    If you weren't stupid- you would look at Obamas voting record to see he has done absolutely nothing and that Clinton was our only hope

September 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  21. No Hillary = No Obama

The CNN Obama propaganda machine is working overtime now that Sarah Palin is the new kid on the block. I'm already sick and tired of looking at and hearing from Howdy Doody and Jabbering Joe.

September 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  22. Really

Thanks Patriot for the facts. I can see where Obama gets his idea that the American Dream is dead. A black man raised by a single mom grows up to go to Columbia and Harvard. Teaches law and then becomes a state Senator. Just imagine if there was still hope and the american dream was alive. He could have been Supreme Ruler of the World. Barrack and Michelle are negative and disrespectfull to this country. Why do you need a law degree to be successful? So you can distort the facts and know all the loopholes to get elected. America, take back this country and the Democratic Party by electing McCain/Palin. Show the left wing that they are not entitled to it nor are they good for this country.

September 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  23. CM

I guess the right wing is justified in questioning Obama on specifics on his plan but understands when McCain just throws anyone out there to be his backup. Regardless of her questionable past.

Polls do matter. The most historically accurate ones have already predicted Obama taking the WH come November.

September 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. NotFallingInLine.org

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. Ken

The American people are starting to see the Repubican Party for what it truly is. Spin Spin and more Spin.

After Bush it is hard to believe more spin from the Republican party.

Oboma should win this one if there is any hope for our country.

September 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |