September 3rd, 2008

Dems could pull Lieberman chairmanship

Lieberman addressed the Republican National Convention on Tuesday night.
Lieberman addressed the Republican National Convention on Tuesday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Joe Lieberman’s speech before the Republican National Convention Tuesday night could cost Lieberman the chairmanship of a key Senate committee, a top Senate Democratic aide told CNN.

During the speech, the Connecticut senator praised GOP presidential candidate Sen. John McCain and criticizing Democratic nominee Sen. Barack Obama.

"The Democratic Caucus will reassess the situation with Sen. Lieberman after the election,” Jim Manley, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, said Wednesday.

Lieberman, the Democratic nominee for vice president in 2000, now calls himself an “independent Democrat,” but he remains a member of the Senate Democratic Caucus which allows him to head the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

Democrats have grumbled for months about Lieberman’s outspoken support of McCain and both Reid and Obama have warned Lieberman to curb his public criticism of Obama.

“What we saw last night was a culmination of provocative efforts in recent months,” said a Democratic leadership aide.

Democrats, who with Lieberman’s support control the chamber by a narrow 51-49 margin, are unlikely to go a step further and boot Lieberman from their caucus although the Democratic leadership aide didn’t rule out that punitive step if Democrats pick up several seats in November.

1. Thomas Baird

Liberman why dont you do us a favor and retire and go away.Seems to me your not sure which way to vote.Stop telling liesand makeing trouble.Time to retire.

September 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  2. Brian

CNN, I mean ONN (Obama News Network) you guys are a great propaganda machine for your messiah. The democrats show their colors when one of their own and former V.P candidate shows he can think for himself, they wanna kick him to the curb and suddenly don't like him.

Your reporters should all be required to wear their Obama pins on their suits when reporting.

September 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  3. Thomas Baird

Liberman why dont you do us a favor and retire and go away.Seems to me your not sure which way to vote.Stop telling lies and makeing trouble.Tell the Truth,Time to retire.

September 3, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  4. I don't believe it!

This stuff is so sad, I would not want him standing next to me. I would rather trust a stranger on an airplane then Lieberman.

Lieberman, is going to be a lonely man. If the Dem's win, he is diffently out in the cold.

I know one thing, he better have plenty of money stored under the pillow, because his track records of helping the republican is not going to get him elected in the future.

I'm sure he really doesn't care!

September 3, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  5. Walt

They're just upset that Lieberman left out how inexperienced Obama was as a supervisor/manager or executive, in general. Unless, of course, you're talking about how he managed such a sweetheart of a home loan that nobody else could have swung, except maybe Biden. I would like to hear a whole lot more about how Obama isn't really a muslim and isn't plotting with his little friends back in Chicago.

September 3, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  6. beachgirl

Don't understand why the Dems think they need to hold on boring and lier Lieberman????? This is our change to DUMP HIM!!!!!!!!!!! come on Democrats, open your eyes, this guy does not belong among us.

September 3, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  7. JolleeDemocrat

The DemoDicators are at it again, the constitution give us the right to vote any way we want too, I am a Democrat female who is convinced that my Democratic party has been high jacked by a very left wing group who states that they are Democrat bu not, Nancy, Harry, Dean and Obama are wolves in sheep's clothing. The are the new DemoDicator party!

This Democrat is voting for the McCain ticket!

Go John McCain, we love you! Yes we can!

September 3, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. renee- Florida

Adios Elmer!!!

September 3, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  9. JolleeDemocrat

The DemoDicators are at it again, the constitution give us the right to vote any way we want too, I am a Democrat female who is convinced that my Democratic party has been high jacked by a very left wing group who states that they are Democrat but not. Nancy, Harry, Dean and Obama are wolves in sheep's clothing. They are the new DemoDicator party!

This Democrat is voting for the McCain ticket!

Go John McCain, we love you! Yes we can!

September 3, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  10. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

Leiberman has the right to support any candidate he wants. However, that said, he doesn't have any right to pretend that he is a democrat and then spew lies about Senator Obama. He has put his arm around Sarah Palin who is a right-wing conservative, which means he has turned his back on everything that the democratic party stands for.

I could understand Leiberman supporting McCain because of the Iraq war but to be kissey kissey with a person who is anti-abortion even in cases of incest and rape, a creationist, a person that bans books from libraries because of her fanatism, someone who wants only abstence taught in schools, someone who thinks a oil pipeline is God's will, now that's crossing the line.

September 3, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  11. Michael, Esq.

Any of you rabid (empty suit) supporters calling out for Lieberman's head read Federalist No. 10?

Didn't think so.

September 3, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  12. rob

Its the wrath of the Demo-stalinists, if he wants to caucus with the Dems and keep his chairmanship he'll have to go to the re-education camp.

I hope Palin knocks it out of the park tonight to shut these hatefull people up.

September 3, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Joel Melgarejo

Lieberman should be ashamed of himself. The Democratic caucus should pull his chairmanship without waiting for the end of the elections. It's going to happen anyway – why wait another couple of months to do it. He should have not been given his position on the first place because as it tuned out, he turned against from the party when he ran as an independent against the Democratic candidate in his last election. Connecticut democrats surely have been bamboozled by their esteemed senator. I never trusted this man even when he was chosen to run as vice-president in the past. You just can clearly read it in his face.

September 3, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  14. Barbara

What is the hesitance around booting a 'Republican' from the Democratic caucus? He claims to be an Independent; but we all know the old saying. If you look like a duck, you walk like a duck and you quack like a duck, you must be a duck. Joe Lieberman is obviously a Republican.

September 3, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  15. Debbie Joyner

Thanks you Lieberman – for believing in your convictions and risking your political future. I have no doubt that the the DNC will hang you out to dry – I saw what they did to Hilary. I found CNN's coverage laughable last night – they just couldn't understand how Lieberman could support McCain when he disagrees with him on EVERY ISSUE (emphasis CNNs) HELLO people – abortion and other social policy is not EVERY issue. I believe the federal governments first and foremost responsibility is defense and over all economic policy. Last night Joe Lieberman clearly saw that Obama's socialist economic theories and if I chat with any foreign leader they'll stop being evil and love America foreign policy is wrong for America. I am pro-choice and small government. I HATE that I have no political party to call my own. I supported Hilary as a pro-choice, fiscal moderate (she may not be as conservative as me, but I do remember which president had the last balanced budget)

September 3, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  16. JolleeDemocrat

I am so excited about this ticket, I truly dont believe the last time I felt so energized by an election. I am a Democrat, female, 44 years old. I am pro-choice but respect people's pro-life stance. I even find myself being more toward pro-life just becuase I am a proud mother and just recently a proud grandmother. I like Sara Palin, she has more experience in Public office at city councel level, mayor level and Governership of the Oil rich state of Alaska. She has more experience then any of the running candidates. I like the fact that she is a reformer and fights corruptive government. She is also well verced in the oil industry, they know not to mess with her! I am voting for the Maverick who selected this great VP.
    1. Go John McCain, we love you!

September 3, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  17. LYNETTE IN CA

WHEN IS LIEBERMAN'S TIME UP IN THE SENATE?? SURELY HE WILL NOT BE ELECTED AGAIN, RIGHT CONN?

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE FIRST DEBATE ON 9/26. MCSAME WILL NOT HAVE TELEPROMPTERS OR THIS TALKING HEAD WHISPERING CORRECTIONS IN HIS EAR!! BETTER FRISK MCWAR DOWN PRIOR TO THE DEBATE TO MAKE SURE HE'S NOT WIRED.

OBAMA / BIDEN '08

September 3, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  18. JolleeDemocrat

Senator Lieberman is doing what is right for the country, country first party affiliatian last.

Democrat voting for McCain in November. Yes we can!

September 3, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  19. Chris

IT ISN'T BECAUSE HE "SWITCHED SIDES" IT'S BECAUSE HE LIED, LIED, AND LIED SOME MORE.

September 3, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |