September 3rd, 2008

Hot mic catches GOP strategists trashing Palin pick

McCain greeted Palin Wednesday.
McCain greeted Palin Wednesday.

(CNN) – Prominent Republican analysts Peggy Noonan and Mike Murphy became the latest victims of an open microphone Wednesday, caught after a segment on MSNBC trashing John McCain's pick of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Noonan, a Wall Street Journal columnist and former speechwriter for Ronald Reagan, and Murphy, a campaign strategist and onetime aide to John McCain, can both be heard expressing disbelief with the pick of Palin after they apparently thought they were in a commercial break.

“I come out of the blue swing-state governor world, Engler, Whitman, Thompson, Mitt Romney,” Murphy said during the mishap which has since been posted on YouTube. Murphy later flatly says of the pick, "It's not going to work."

Noonan is heard going even further, saying of the presidential race, "It's over."

"I think they went for this - excuse me– political bulls–t about narratives," Noonan also said. "Every time the Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it."

Murphy, who was a senior adviser to John McCain's 2000 presidential bid, also adds, "You know what's really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical."

UPDATE: Writing on the Wall Street Journal Web site, Noonan apologizes for using profanity and says she was not claiming McCain's campaign was "over."

"In our off-air conversation, I got on the subject of the leaders of the Republican party assuming, now, that whatever the base of the Republican party thinks is what America thinks. I made the case that this is no longer true, that party leaders seem to me stuck in the assumptions of 1988 and 1994, the assumptions that reigned when they were young and coming up," she writes.  "The first lesson they learned is the one they remember," I said to [MSNBC's Chuck] Todd - and I'm pretty certain that is a direct quote. But, I argued, that's over, those assumptions are yesterday, the party can no longer assume that its base is utterly in line with the thinking of the American people. And when I said, "It's over!" - and I said it more than once - that is what I was referring to."

1. Republicans for Truth

Truth hurts and I am glad to see some brains in the republican party

September 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  2. Jerry in Nashville

Murphy and Noonan are among the best. I disagree with them often, but they are a cut above many – even left leaning strategists.

These folks know their stuff. It is over – as of last Friday.

September 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  3. Bleek Gilliam

I KNEW these people couldn't possibly believe the drivel they're trying to sell us 24/7- it just defies logic. I'd love to hear Caly Fiorina and tucker Bounds on a hot mic.

September 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  4. J UAN CARLOS

T H E---G I M M I C K-–I S--- T H E --I N D E C E N C Y---

O F---T H E--M E D I U M--–B U T--T H A T--–C A N----

W O R K---B O T H ---W A Y S--A S-- I N---H E L P I N G--

T H E ---C A N D I D A T E---W H EN --S H O W N---S H E---

C A N-–T A K E-–I T-- A N D --–G O -- O N

September 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  5. Independent, white female for Obama

There is a God! Every idiot from the republican party has been praising Plain and acting as tough they are thrilled with the pick. When asked on TV and in front of the camera, they all recite the same exact words, as if they were all given the same line ( by snail mail) not email, lol, that they must say exactly those words with enthusiasim. It is a real crock of sh–. I am so glad some smart republicans are actually being honest to themselves and each other about how ridiculous of a pick Palin is. I think she is a fine woman who is doing really well in a small state and hopefully she is honet, she is being investigated, but she is no Commander in chief and every republican knows it, including John Mccain himself. What a politial bullsh– move. I interviewed my dog groomer/walker/ vet longer than he interviewed Palin. For God's sake! Wake up America! wake up America!

September 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  6. LC

Yikes!

September 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  7. leslie song

Let the truth come out. We need to know the truth so we can pick a president who will get us out of the mess Bush and the GOP have made of this country. We have a right to the truth. And by the way, the idea that McCain gets to 'crown' Palin, when others have worked for YEARS towards positions of great responsibility in government makes me sick. Obama all the way.

September 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  8. Seeing double

Did not use the word "trashing" when it was Jesse Jackson – so don't make this into anything worse than Jesse's comments.

September 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  9. Jolene

ahahhahahaha

OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

September 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  10. John

Hey McCain camp, is that sexism too??

Carly Fioriana, mr. 9/11 should SHUT UP. THey are a disgrace to America and mankind.

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  11. Hillary 2012

Last week CNN # 1
    MSNBC no where near to CNN
    I don’t watch MSNBC

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  12. Brent

I think that's what a lot of Republicans have been saying, not just with the Palin fiasco but with all the negative Paris/Britney/Moses ads and whatnot, that John McCain, as a person and as a politician, is better than this.

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  13. Mike Bulmer

Thanks for picking this up, CNN. For a moment there I almost thought you were buying this whole spin that GOP leaders really do like Palin.

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  14. no way, no how, no McCain!

All the McCain surrogates are lying. It is just obvious, and they are looking ridiculous doing it.

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  15. Billy

Scary that many in the American public don't see the joke that McCain has played on them.

How can respected republicans with decades of service risk their credibility defending McCain's judgment and selection of Palin? They risk ruining their names to tow the party line.

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  16. D

....... HAHAHHAHA.... *breath*...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA And whats funnier is I'm a Republican and now voting for Obama

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  17. Lisa from VA

The republicans aren't stupid regardless of what most people think. They know this pick was a huge blunder.

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  18. Michael, Henderson, Nevada

The media needs to find out the truth of this selection for the VP slot, there are too many questions that are unanswered. America should be very afraid!!!

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  19. Hispanic for Obama - Ricky

LOL oops! Guess you cant blame this on liberals now can you?

September 3, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  20. James from San Diego, Ca

CHECK MATE!!!!

September 3, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  21. Wynn Padula

Most republicans feel this way, but they are all lying through their teeth that Palin is a good VP choice.

September 3, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  22. Franki

I wonder if FOX is sorry now for their HOT MIC comments.

This is PRICELESS.

September 3, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  23. Barbara

Let's hear it over and over and over – like the Obama bashing – come on CNN, fair's fair.

September 3, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  24. Dave Lemoine

Your coverage of the RNC is a joke. Y

September 3, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  25. Obama Supporter 08

They have been talking about this all over the net. Its nice to see that some republicans think like the rest of us. who didn't know this was a stunt McCain pulled. and now its blowing up in his face.

September 3, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |